Food fiction

I was thinking more along the lines of Joanne Harris, or Nina Killham's "How to cook a tart: a novel". Not recipe books. Although I do have a fair few of them, as well.

Deviating from the "fiction" theme, I really enjoyed Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential" and "A Cook's Tour".

And also the writings of Ruth Reichl, MFK Fisher, Elizabeth David etc.

I love, love, love reading about food.

I really utterly recommend Jeffrey Steingarten's collections of essays from Vogue magazine, particularly the first book The Man Who Ate Everything; although It must have been something I ate is also very good.

My favourite foody novel is The Debt To Pleasure by John Lanchester, which is fantastic, funny, black, and written as a cookbook.

I love, love, love reading about food.

I really utterly recommend Jeffrey Steingarten's collections of essays from Vogue magazine, particularly the first book The Man Who Ate Everything; although It must have been something I ate is also very good.

My favourite foody novel is The Debt To Pleasure by John Lanchester, which is fantastic, funny, black, and written as a cookbook.

I've read both the Jeffrey Steingartens, which I thoroughly enjoyed! Will have a look for the John Lancaster at some point soon.

There are a couple more I've just remembered - "Vanilla beans and Brodo" (by Isabella Dusi), and the Rue Tatin books by Susan Loomis. Neither are fiction. And a fantastic murder-mysery that I cann't for the life of me remember the title of, but involved a pastry chef killed off by being locked into an industrial freezer.

Know what you mean - I've enjoyed books like 'The Food of Love' by Anthony Capella, 'On Rue Tatin' by Susan Loomis and 'Chocolat' by Joanne Harris. I also love reading Nigel Slater - I enjoyed 'Toast' and I like dipping into his 'Kitchen Diaries':)

If you like novels with a food flavour then I'd recommend the mysteries written by Diane Mott Davidson featuring crime-solving caterer Goldy Schulz.

There's even recipes included in the books.

There's recipes in Fannie Flagg's "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" too, if you haven't already read that.