Wordsgood's 2012 Reads, Thoughts and other Drivel!

wordsgood

It occurs to me that I probably should have listed just the books as the very top of this new thread, so as not to chase potential viewers and posters off with all the detail. :D So, here's an abbreviated list with just the names and authors of the books I got earlier this week. If you are interested in more details about any of them, simply scroll down.

Arguably Essays, by Christopher Hitchens

Shakedown, by Ezra Levant

Young Nelsons: Boy Sailors during the Napoleonic Wars, by D.A.B. Ronald

The Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James

Argh! I should know better but still do it...I typed this out right up until the very last line and accidentally hit the wrong button and poof! I lost the whole post because I didn’t prepare it as a draft copy here or in Word. Grumble, whine, snivel! :banghead:

Okay, now that on to the purpose (aside from whining :giggle: ) of this post. Picking up four new books yesterday inspired me to start a 2012 thread for all my current reads and to share news (also known as bragging :giggle2:) of new books as I get them.

I’m very excited about this particular haul because it includes one that I’ve been waiting to get since before it was actually published!

First up is the one that’s been on the top of my “Must Buy” list since the moment I found out it was going to be published. :readingtwo:

Essayist Christopher Hitchens was one of our time’s most controversial thinkers and I greatly lament his passing in 2011. Whether or not you agreed with his views on any given subject – and he had opinions about every conceivable issue – you could not argue his facility with the English language, or fail to appreciate his acerbic wit.

Arguably Essays

Author: Christopher Hitchens

Hardcover

Copyright: September 6, 2011

Genre: Political/ Social Commentary

ISBN: 9780771041419

Blurb from Amazon:

From one of the most admired public intellectuals of our time, and a multi-award winning and #1 bestselling author, comes a collection of his most important and controversial essays on the theme of culture and politics and how the two relate.

The next three I did not get just because of the awesome prices I found at a bargain table ($2.00 each!), but it certainly didn’t hurt.

I was hooked on this one from the first page and am finding it to be utterly fascinating. The stories author Ezra Levant presents to support his thesis that Human Rights Commissions across Canada have so far shifted their focus from the original purpose behind their creation, are downright scary. The implications of such cases for the rights and freedoms of not just private citizens, but society as a whole, should raise concerns in every free, supposedly Democratic society, not just Canada.

Shakedown

Author: Ezra Levant

Hardcover

Genre: Civil/Human Rights, Political/Social Commentary

Copyright: October 27, 2009

ISBN: 9780771046193

Partial blurb from Amazon:

Part memoir, part investigative journalism, this is a shocking and controversial look at the corruption of Canada’s human rights commissions.

“On January 11, 2008, I was summoned to a 90-minute government interrogation. My crime? As the publisher of Western Standard magazine, I had reprinted the Danish cartoons of Mohammed to illustrate a news story. I was charged with the offence of “discrimination,” and made to appear before Alberta’s “human rights commission” for questioning. As crazy as it sounds, I became the only person in the world to face legal sanction for printing those cartoons.”

The book is a result of Levant’s ordeal and the research it inspired. It shows how our concept of human rights has morphed into something dangerous and drastically different from its original meaning. Shakedown is a convincing plea to Canadians to reclaim their basic liberties.

Young Nelsons: Boy Sailors during the Napoleonic Wars

Author: D.A.B. Ronald

Hardcover

Copyright: September 22, 2009

Genre: Maritime History

ISBN: 9781846033605

Blurb from Amazon:

"They fought like young Nelsons." The words of a schoolmaster, writing from aboard HMS Mars after the battle of Trafalgar, describing the valor of his pupils in the heat of battle. Made immortal by the novels of Patrick O'Brian, C. S. Forester and Alexander Kent, these boy sailors, alongside those of every other Royal Navy ship, had entered the British Navy to fight the French across every ocean of the world. There was a long-standing British tradition of children going to sea, of boys who volunteered to fight for Britain, and along the way found adventure, glory, wealth and fame. During the Napoleonic Wars, these children, some as young as eight or nine, were also fighting for the very survival of Britain. For twenty years, the image of young Nelsons on the frontline of war caught the imagination of the nation.

Drawing on many first-hand accounts, letters, poems and writings, this book tells the dramatic story of Britain's boy sailors during the Napoleonic Wars for the very first time.

The Portrait of a Lady

Author: Henry James

Paperback

Genre: Classical/Victorian Literature

Original Copyright: 1881

This edition (Arcturus Publishing): 9781848378940

About the author as stated on Amazon:

Henry James (1843-1916), the son of the religious philosopher Henry James Sr. and brother of the psychologist and philosopher William James, published many important novels including Daisy Miller, The Wings of the Dove, The Golden Bowl, and The Ambassadors.

Edited by wordsgood

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not up to posting details at the moment so this is just a list.

September 6, 2012 new book acquisitions from Chapters/Indigo, my favourite in-town bookstore:

• Merriam Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus, 2006 (bargain books deal)
  • The Order War, by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
  • The Magic Engineer, by L.E. Modessit Jr.
  • A World on Fire: Britain's Crucial Role in the American Civil War, by Amanda Foreman

September 4, 2012 new book acquisitions from local Dollar Giant store (store where you get all kinds of stuff for a $1.25 each):

• The Critc, by Dyanne Davis
  • The Calling, by Cathyrn Clinton
  • End of Words: A Daughter's Memoir, by Miriam Stone
  • Left Hook: A Sideways Look at Canadian Writing, by George Bowering

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently my thread is extra boring. Woe is me, no-one has commented... :cry: Poor little me is gonna go out and eat worms now. Ick! Where did that saying come from anyway? :giggle:

I've acquired a few new books since my last post here but the only one I can remember at the moment is the newest. Yet another bargain buy I couldn't walk away from!

The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe, with Intro by Wilbur S. Scott

Hardcover

ISBN: 9780785814535

Coypright: 2001

Argh! I should know better but still do it...I typed this out right up until the very last line and accidentally hit the wrong button and poof! I lost the whole post because I didn’t prepare it as a draft copy here or in Word. Grumble, whine, snivel! :banghead:

Just thought I'll drop a word on good old auto-save - it has saved me a few times.

When you lose your text - click on the 'More Reply Options' button, and click on 'View Auto Saved Content' in the page that loads. It should bring back most of what you typed. It's magic, it is :)

Thanks Bree. :flowers2: I keep forgetting that function and it seems like everytime I've almost finished something, someone walks in to bug me with a really important question, like "where's my shirt" or other such life threatening crisis's, or cats bolting across my keyboard during a turf war. Edit and save, edit and save, it's a mantra I used to live by and really must start doing so again! :D

Just thought I'll drop a word on good old auto-save - it has saved me a few times.

When you lose your text - click on the 'More Reply Options' button, and click on 'View Auto Saved Content' in the page that loads. It should bring back most of what you typed. It's magic, it is :)

I try and save book reviews now to an email draft or something having blown it several times .. one of the more annoying is that (though B Telecom still refuse to believe it) if anyone in the house uses the phone it cuts our internet connection off for a few mins (both when we pick up and hang up) and consequently everything gets lost. We do try and yell warnings at each other but sometimes forget .. right annoying that is when I'm in the middle of one of my 'War & Peace' reviews. I always feel that my original draft was genius :D

You can't win with computers .. it's their job to wind you up.

Hope you didn't go out and eat worms .. I honestly couldn't recommend it.

I have got Edgar Allen Poe's stories too .. though I don't know if it's complete .. anyway, last winter I read a few of them :hide: ... but I couldn't quite steel myself to read 'The Pit & the Pendulum' .. I heard Vincent Price reading bits of it once and that was enough to give me nightmares for the rest of the year.

I didn't know about the poems .. are they scarey too?

The only time we met I didn't get on with Henry James (The Ambassadors) .. it was a bit of a shocker actually in that I didn't have a clue after 528 pages what on earth the story was about. I'm hoping he'll be more amenable on our next date .. if not he's had it :D

Happy reading :)

Warning/Alert:

This post is about a very politically sensitive book and topic. It covers religious and cultural conflict and is currently all too often in the media. I mean NO disrespect to ANYONE, so please do not take it in anything other spirit than that in which I am posting it. Which is, specifically, about subject matter that interests me and I only want to share it. I even went so far as to run this one by Admin team and held off posting for several days to ensure it got the green light. Comments are welcome but please folks, play nice!

Okay, here we go...

I'd been waiting for this one for months and snapped up a copy the first day it came out. If you are interested/worried about the worldwide religious tensions that seem to frequently erupt into some kind of violence (especially of late), be it protests, riots, or radical religious extremists committing terrorism in the name of their faith - or are just a champion of free speech, then you might want to check this one out.

In 1989, Salman Rushdie, a English citizen born in 1947, in Bombay, into a surprisingly irreligious family (given the region and political times). Rushdie attended a English prep boarding school before moving on to obtain a degree of history at Cambridge University. He chose to make England his home and dreamt of writing novels for a living. Story telling and the study of all religions, and the cultures they were found in, was a passion shared by both father and son. After finishing his degree, Rushdie married and worked for years as a copyright, so near yet so far from his dream of writing novels for a living. Fast forward several years and some adventurous trips in both India and Pakistan, Rushdie has a young son, is once divorced, and in a new marriage that is quickly crumbling. But all was not dark, Rushdie now had a few successful novels under his belt. But the one...the one he had felt driven to write for twenty years but couldn't find quite the right way, was finally published the year before. It had had taken 4 years to finish, and was garnering international acclaim.

And then one day the world has he knew it, ended, and he found himself thrust into a new and nightmarish reality. That was the day, Valentines Day, 1989, a reporter called and told him that he had been "sentenced to death" by the Ayatollah Khomeini, who himself was on his deathbed, in his official Fatwa about the matter. His first thought? "I'm dead."

(Fatwa - A ruling on a point of Islamic law given by a recognized authority. Source: Wikipedia)

In what Rushdie now calls his [Khomeini's] last desperate move to give the people, and the revolution he'd led for so long, something or someone to focus on. Khomeini had been a ruthless leader, targeting, and eliminating even his own top lieutenants if he felt at all threatened. And Rushdie's "crime?" A novel that had be published the year before called the Satanic Verses. This "Fatwa" declared by Iran's highest spiritual leader, incited violent protests all over the world, with crowds burning Rushdie in effigy, demanding his death, and causing injuries, mayhem, property damage, and in end left dozens dead.

Sentenced to die by the spiritual and revolutionary leader of a country he had never been to, whom he knew had no jurisdiction authority over him, yet he was terrified.

And so began the 9 years of living under the assumed name of "Joseph Anton," with 24/7 police & special agent protection, never staying in anyone place for long, forced to communicated with his son via "code."

This is Rushdie's story, told in 3rd person. But this isn't a book just about his 9 years in spend in hiding, in it he also talks about many parts of life before the Fatwa, about the many people who rallied not to just his cause, but to that one freedom we all hold so dear. The Freedom of Speech. The freedom to think, speak and express whatever we want, however we want, without fear of persecution.

Title: Joseph Anton: A Memoir

Author: Salman Rushdie

Genre(s): Autobiography/Politics/Current Events/World Affairs/Religion

Copyright/Publishing Date: September 18, 2009

ISBN: 9780307401366

Blurb (from Amazon):

On February 14, 1989, Valentine’s Day, Salman Rushdie was telephoned by a BBC journalist and told that he had been "sentenced to death" by the Ayatollah Khomeini. For the first time he heard the word fatwa. His crime? To have written a novel called The Satanic Verses, which was accused of being "against Islam, the Prophet and the Quran."

So begins the extraordinary story of how a writer was forced underground, moving from house to house, with the constant presence of an armed police protection team. He was asked to choose an alias that the police could call him by. He thought of writers he loved and combinations of their names; then it came to him: Conrad and Chekhov—Joseph Anton.

How do a writer and his family live with the threat of murder for more than nine years? How does he go on working? How does he fall in and out of love? How does despair shape his thoughts and actions, how and why does he stumble, how does he learn to fight back? In this remarkable memoir Rushdie tells that story for the first time; the story of one of the crucial battles, in our time, for freedom of speech. He talks about the sometimes grim, sometimes comic realities of living with armed policemen, and of the close bonds he formed with his protectors; of his struggle for support and understanding from governments, intelligence chiefs, publishers, journalists, and fellow writers; and of how he regained his freedom.

It is a book of exceptional frankness and honesty, compelling, provocative, moving, and of vital importance. Because what happened to Salman Rushdie was the first act of a drama that is still unfolding somewhere in the world every day.

Poppyshake, I forgot to mention that I used to do the whole save the draft thing as a temporary Word document until I was satisfied with the result before opening a post as a matter of course. But after being offline for around a year, I got sloppy when returning. I am starting to do that again, but like I mentioned when I was finally able to return here a couple months ago, things are still a bit too chaotic around my house so I tend to get frazzled and skip important steps. That and it's been a very unlucky year with my computer having acquired a few very nasty viruses that involved many headaches trying to deal with the folks I paid to protect me, but ended up having to take in to the shop - twice - for repairs.

But I'm working on not being so impatient, short-tempered and slowing learning to demand folks let me have ME time and solve their simple issues like the adults they are supposed to be. Well, that and trying very hard to keep my screamer cat happy so she doesn't wander around wailing her lungs out for hours on end. (She's old, and I think, getting a touch senile. Or just more neurotic. Really hard to tell with a Siamese, they are already born neurotic! :giggle: )

You can't win with computers .. it's their job to wind you up.

Agreed!

Hope you didn't go out and eat worms .. I honestly couldn't recommend it.

Nah, chickened out! :giggle2:

I have got Edgar Allen Poe's stories too .. though I don't know if it's complete .. anyway, last winter I read a few of them :hide: ... but I couldn't quite steel myself to read 'The Pit & the Pendulum' .. I heard Vincent Price reading bits of it once and that was enough to give me nightmares for the rest of the year.

I didn't know about the poems .. are they scarey too?

The only time we met I didn't get on with Henry James (The Ambassadors) .. it was a bit of a shocker actually in that I didn't have a clue after 528 pages what on earth the story was about. I'm hoping he'll be more amenable on our next date .. if not he's had it :D

Happy reading :)

I've only read a few of the stories and poems so far. I've never really read much of Poe before but I'm getting more into classics lately and it was sitting there all pretty and shiny, with even prettier price tag on the bargain tables... I don't think this really is a "complete" collection of Poe's work despite the title because some of the stuff referenced in the intro is not in book itself. Also, I have found some glaring typos in the intro by a professor, so appearances aside, I think I ended up with a poorly done edition.

I can't really say that any of the ones I've read so far are all that scary, but then I really haven't read that much yet. If and when I get into this book, I will surely post my opinions.

Thank you for stopping by. Guess I'll have leave the worms alone for another day! Don't worry, I'll even tell them it was Poppy to the rescue! :giggle:

Edited by wordsgood

Hi Wordsgood, I haven't been around much, you have some interesting book choices here I am going to come back later when you have wrote some reviews. Don't worry people will come!

He he. Wasn't really upset about no-one posting here, just felt like being silly. :giggle2: Plus I just like bragging when I get new books, especially if I snagged them at a really great price. :P

I haven't really had the gumption to focus on writing reviews lately, but am sure I will get back to doing it eventually. In the meantime, I've been busy reading everyone else's reviews! :D:readingtwo:

Partial review for Joseph Anton: A Memoir, by Salman Rushdie, as of October 10, 2012. Thank you Vodkafan, for the little push I needed!

Thought I should post this before I forget.

As usual I keep hopping back and forth between several books, so am only about 4 or 5 short chapters into this one. (Incidentally, I think this is less a sign of intelligence, and more an indication of diminishing brain power on my part. Early senility? Or possibly hanging around labs for too long and am acquiring their whole lack of focus mindset!)

Anyway, one thing I noticed on several reviews that were published before the book was released to consumers, is that many complain about Rushdie's persistent name dropping in his book. Though I'm not even a 1/3 of the way in, I see what I mean. Rushdie came into contact with many celebrities and high profile politicians during his years of hiding. While these mini side stories are interesting, I find myself a bit disappointed. At least so far; hopefully it will improve as I get further into it.

What I'm hoping for, but so far haven't seen much of, is details about what living in hiding and under the threat of death, for 9 long years, under 24/7 protection, never being able to stay in any one place for too long. How did it affect his psyche, then and now? In what ways has it changed his attitudes and outlook about people, race, religion, and the melding of cultures as we all become an ever more globally entwined species? That kind of thing.

That is what I understood we would be getting, based on the many articles and interviews I'd read and heard, but so far...not so much. I do understand why he would be afraid to open up to any degree after what he's been through - and the still pending "unofficial" bounty on his head even though the fatwa itself has been revoked. Rushdie is a far braver soul than I could ever be, and the fact that he's still sane is bloody miracle.

But still...I'm hoping for more about him and less about the side anecdotes. Hopefully it will get better after this.

Edited by wordsgood

Didn't he have a really beautiful wife, Padma Lakshmi or somebody? I read she left him because he was so boring .

Not unless this was after his 2nd marriage fell apart. Because he married the first one very young, they were college sweethearts, and it was with her he did his early globetrotting and had a son with. The 2nd one was to some writer (not one I've ever head of). Interestingly though, is the way he's talking his 2nd marriage in the book. He's sort of alternates between stating how they both knew they'd rushed into marriage and it was a mutual decision to part, but then the fatwa came down and they decided to face it together, but also implies there is some kind of professional jealousy on her part because he was finally (pre-fatwa) successful as fiction writer. As though she became unhappy because now he'd not only caught up to her professionally, but was now actually a bit ahead. I know they don't stay together but I haven't read enough yet to find out when they officially part ways. Or to know if he's been married to anyone else since then. I'll update this though either as I go along or when I've finished reading it.

Oh, one more thing. Another thing noted in the pre-release reviews was he tends to dwell a lot on those he thinks have wronged him at any point in his life, and so far, I reluctantly have to agree to that assessment as well. To be fair though, he also spends quite a bit of time praising those helped him, stood by or up for him, and especially those assigned to protect him.

As soon as I can also want to get a copy of the book that started this mess, The Satanic Verses.

Hmm, you know having to be up on current affairs in the news was part of a job I did for 8 years, and I hated it. I read only what was needed to be efficient at work, but hated reading anything like this voluntarily. I stuck to pure fantasy and fictional historical sagas, but now I can't seem to get enough of it!

Didn't he have a really beautiful wife, Padma Lakshmi or somebody? I read she left him because he was so boring .

He was married to her - I'm pretty sure he's been married at least four times! :)

ETA: According to Wikipedia he has been married four times and was married to Lakshmi between 2004 and 2007. :)

Edited by Janet

:o My goodness, you'd think he'd had enough on his plate, what with people plotting his demise and all. Apparently he's a serial husband! At least he only tried one a at time. Gotta give him that, at least.

He was married to her - I'm pretty sure he's been married at least four times! :)

ETA: According to Wikipedia he has been married four times and was married to Lakshmi between 2004 and 2007. :)

:o My goodness, you'd think he'd had enough on his plate, what with people plotting his demise and all. Apparently he's a serial husband! :giggle2: At least he only tried one a at time. Gotta give him that, at least.

Just realized I've been very spoiled lately when it comes to getting new books. Mostly because any plans we make to do anything never seem to work out for one reason or another, so I tend to console myself by hitting the bargain tables. :D

Anyway, here's a list of my haul for today. :readingtwo:

Mao's Great Famine, by Frank Dikotter (This one was actually on my Wishlist, so that was nice! :D)

Escape from the Third Reich: The Harrowing True Story of the Largest Rescue Effort Inside Nazi Germany, by Sune Urquhart

Colonel Rooosevelt, Edmund Morris

Selected Letters of Martha Gellhorn, by Caroline Moorehead

Well-Tempered Clavicle, by Piers Anthony

It occurs to me that I probably should have listed just the books as the very top of this new thread, so as not to chase potential viewers and posters off with all the detail.

Worry not, we are far too curious about other people's books to let that stop us :lol:

The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe

I also got a copy of this book at the beginning of the year, I was really excited about it! I'm not sure if it's the same edition, but it's Poe after all :) Goodness knows when I'll get to it, it's quite hefty, as you know!

Selected Letters of Martha Gellhorn, by Caroline Moorehead

The name rings a bell... I read a book last year, Between the Sheets, it was to do with nine literary couples (i.e. nine author couples) and I'm pretty sure Martha Gellhorn was one part of one of those couples... although I cannot for the life of me remember who she was with. Anyhow, I'm very jealous that you acquired a copy, and I can't wait to hear what you think of it! :) If you're interested in the lives of authors, I would strongly recommend the BtS book :)

Just checked, 'tis not you, Janet. It seemed to work perfectly when I did it, but now I can't find it either. :blush2: Really beginning to believe that A) my computer is haunted, or B) I'm losing IQ points by the hour. I was never terribly tech savvy, but these days I can't seem to perform the simplest things right the first time. Sighs dramatically, gives up and leaves to explore other people's posts..... :blush2:

Unless you've removed it (or I'm going mad!) I can't see an attachment in post #20.

I also got a copy of this book at the beginning of the year, I was really excited about it! I'm not sure if it's the same edition, but it's Poe after all :) Goodness knows when I'll get to it, it's quite hefty, as you know!

The name rings a bell... I read a book last year, Between the Sheets, it was to do with nine literary couples (i.e. nine author couples) and I'm pretty sure Martha Gellhorn was one part of one of those couples... although I cannot for the life of me remember who she was with. Anyhow, I'm very jealous that you acquired a copy, and I can't wait to hear what you think of it! :) If you're interested in the lives of authors, I would strongly recommend the BtS book :)

Re Poe: Yup, it's a big one! I will get around to posting the details about these at some point so you can check.

Re Gellhorn: I'd never actually heard of her before but I kept seeing this book put on sale repeatedly so finally gave it a gander at the store, and got sucked in rather quickly. And yes, I do like reading about the lives of authors so welcome all recommendations. :readingtwo::D I will definitely look into "Between the Sheets" so thanks for that one! :D

Janet, hopeless romantic is one way to put it. Womanizing lecher is another... :giggle2:

Update (Oct. 21): I have gone ahead ahead and downloaded the 30 day trial of this software and so far it's working out that I'm able to to starting building my custom reading dictionary.

I'm still on the hunt for software that can be used to create my own dictionary. Not a simple word list or table, and not a link to online dictionaries, but one I can basically build myself and entirely customizable for personal my use based on what makes sense to me.

Having finally learned what is meant by the term "relational database" I went fishing online and came across a product called The TreeProject. I've posted a link below, and am wondering if anyone here has heard of it and/or used it, or software similar to to it? If so, would you consider it, or a similar product that you know of or have, to very user friendly for someone without any kind of programming skills?

http://personaldatabase.org/

I looked though the site pretty extensively, including watching demos and viewing screenshots of various functions. It seems to promise a lot of the same great features (and more) as ones like Access offer, but without the huge, way out of my budget, price tag. And what also looks to be a much slower learning curve as this one seems quite intuitive. To be honest, it looks far better than the book cataloguing software I purchased a few months ago.

Could be wrong though, so I have sent a query to the site contact asking for specific clarification about whether their software could me the particular requirements I'm looking for.

But I thought I would also post about it here in case anyone on who stops by my thread has knowledge about this or a similar product, they could offer advice to me about?

(Didn't want to annoy anyone by resurrecting my original thread about this from several weeks ago.)

Any and All comments are welcome!

Edited by wordsgood