Your book activity in 2012

Kell

I'm wading through a re-read of Stephen King's The Stand. Jeez, it's looooooong. Of course, I knew that from when I originally read it, years and years ago, but this is the expanded edition ... I'm thinking maybe it was a mistake to start my King re-read with this one rather than one with a bit more brevity :doh::D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The full length version of The Stand is one of my all-time favourite books. :)

That's mainly why I decided put it at the top of the re-read list - so many people say it's their favourite King. I can't really remember what I thought of it first time around. I know I liked it, but it wasn't my fave of his books, so it'll be interesting to see how I feel about it this time.

Very nearly finished Fleabag & The Ring Fire, hopefully will finish it today.

Also reading a short prequel to The Steampunk Chronicles called The Strange Case Of Finley Jane. It's pretty okay, though I have some reservations about the writing. I should get that finished pretty quickly too.

I'm looking at reading this month's reading circle book, for the first time ever! The title caught my eye (The Bloody Chamber & Other Stories) on the forum and I looked it up. I'm going to try read a story from it later. :)

I'm looking at reading this month's reading circle book, for the first time ever! The title caught my eye (The Bloody Chamber & Other Stories) on the forum and I looked it up. I'm going to try read a story from it later. :)

Yay! It's great to have you join us, Noll. I feel privileged that you chose my circle. :)

Yay! It's great to have you join us, Noll. I feel privileged that you chose my circle. :)

:lol: I can't promise I'll turn up in thread, but if I do read and enjoy even a few of the stories, I'll come post my thoughts based around those :)

Aww, yeah. He loves looking out the window. I've taken to leaving my bedroom window open at night while I'm working/lazing around downstairs, and I don't see him for most of the night because he's glued to that window!

:D What can be so fascinating outside that he can't resist the window?? The bogans?

Is that a challenge? ;)

If I say 'yes', we are so screwed!

Ooh, me, me!!!

Yes you. And now, consider your previous question. Are we screwed or not.

I also went to a bookshop (where I rarely leave without buying 5-10 books) and I didn't buy anything. :o See, Frankie? I have self-control! :P

What?? The Bogan Plaza shop? Okay, fes up, who broke Kylie???

I've started reading Simon Pegg's autobiography, Nerd Do Well.

Who's Simon Pegg? Sorry, I'm ignorant =/

I finished reading Sickened by Julie Gregory, and kind of started reading Susan Hill's I'm the King of the Castle, but shouldn't really, I should now read The Bloody Chamber, pronto!

Oo. And I bought 18 books yesterday. List will follow. Someday.

I finished a graphic novel a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen also part way through a Sherlock Holmes series written by other authors which I downloaded from Amazon recently. I also finished one of my freebies Never Apologise, Never Explain (Robert Carlyle 2) - James Craig and a short story by Thea Harrison - True Colours I am stil on the last story of The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter which I will try and finish tonight.

:lol: I can't promise I'll turn up in thread, but if I do read and enjoy even a few of the stories, I'll come post my thoughts based around those :)

Not to worry. I haven't turned up in the thread very much myself yet.

Frankie & Kylie

:D What can be so fascinating outside that he can't resist the window?? The bogans?

I have no idea, but he loves that window. I've been getting lonely without him. :(

If I say 'yes', we are so screwed!

Yes you. And now, consider your previous question. Are we screwed or not.

Apparently you're screwed (you're at 18+ books already!) but I'm not (I'm at 0).

What?? The Bogan Plaza shop? Okay, fes up, who broke Kylie???

No, not that one. The one near the train station in Sydney. I really only saw one book that I wanted (Lost by Gregory Maguire) but I managed to talk myself out of it.

Who's Simon Pegg? Sorry, I'm ignorant =/

Simon Pegg is one half of the brilliant Pegg/Nicholas Frost British duo, who have written and starred in some terrific movies: Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead and Paul. They're very funny.

I should now read The Bloody Chamber, pronto!

Yes, you should! :P

Oo. And I bought 18 books yesterday. List will follow. Someday.

I think something went screwy with your font size there. I fixed it for you. That's the kind of friend I am. ;)

I'm a quarter of the way through The Mammoth Hunters & enjoying it as much as I did Clan of the Cave Bear though it's been hard finding the time to read the last few days.

I went to visit my dad today which is usually the time when I'd be popping into the charity shops & buying more books but I managed to resist the urge & I'm feeling very pleased with myself for sticking to my resolution so far though I guess this is the opposite of book activity so I shouldn't be posting it on here :doh:

Just downloaded another load of free e-books to my Kindle from Amazon UK:

• The Lost Art of World Domination by Derek Landy
  • Booksurfers: Treasure Island by David Gatward
  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  • Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
  • Design on a Crime by Ginny Aiken
  • Tom Sawyer Abroad by Mark Twain
  • Tom Sawyer Detective by Mark Twain
  • A Double Barrelled Detective Story by Mark Twain
  • White Fang by Jack London
  • Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  • The Lost Prince by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  • A Lady of Quality by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  • The Vampyre; a Tale by John William Polidori
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much by G K Chesterton
  • Mrs. Lirriper's Lodgings by Charles Dickens
  • The Legends of King Arthur and his Knights by Sir James Knowles
  • The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss

I am LOVING all these freebies! :)

I'm still ploughing through A Life Too Short. Really fascinating and well written but quite painful for me too, because the illness Enke suffered from is close to the bone.

I was really good last year and bought NO books, just used my library and freebies from my Mum. Oh how electronic reading has changed that....I can log into iBooks or amazon for the kindle app. I've been reading my current book for 5 days now and during that time have downloaded 15 books. Some free, not all. I also have a stack of real books (!) from the library and my massive TBR pile of books already in the house.

I think I blame this place, too many recommendations!

The full length version of The Stand is one of my all-time favourite books. :)

Is that the 7 volume version? I read the original The Stand many years ago, but thought these were the new version. I'm confused. :D

Is that the 7 volume version? I read the original The Stand many years ago, but thought these were the new version. I'm confused. :D

Maybe you're thinking of King's Dark Tower series, pontalba? I haven't read them ... yet! :smile:

Maybe you're thinking of King's Dark Tower series, pontalba? I haven't read them ... yet! :smile:

Yes, I was under the impression that the Dark Tower series was a sort of expansion of The Stand. /whoops/ :hide:

Yes, I was under the impression that the Dark Tower series was a sort of expansion of The Stand. /whoops/ :hide:

Ah, okay - you may be right, I've no idea. I'm sure one of the many King fans here will know the answer! :smile:

Kylie: No, you are screwed! You still have those books coming your way, the ones you ordered in 2011. Loads of them!

Oh that Pegg. I've seen Shaun of the Dead, it was great the first time but couldn't care less the second time. Which was odd. Everybody's been talking about Paul lately, I think I should watch it sometime.

Nothing went screwy with my font size! I preferred it that way! Now everyone knows just how awful I've been this week.

:giggle:

I started reading The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter last night, I'm only 22 pages in so far but I'm really enjoying it. However, I'm not sure if I've got the concept of the book right. I thought it was supposed to be re-telling of old (fairy) tales. I must go and google now.

Edit: Oh, I was right. I just don't think I've ever heard of Bluebeard before. This is interesting, I won't spoil the fun and see what the others are versions of, I want to see if I can pick the original tales up as I go.

Edited by frankie