Your book activity in 2012

Kell

The Stand is one of my favourite books, but I have to say that the Kindle version doesn't have the best formatting. It doesn't seem to have the appropriate section breaks like the paperbook does, so you may find yourself reading one paragraph, and then the next one is about a different character and place, even though there wasn't a big gap between the two paragraphs. Hope that makes sense. It won't deter from the enjoyment of the book, but it may occasionally throw you. :smile:

Actually, they must have withdrawn that version for those reasons. I tried to get it a few months ago (having balked at the size of the paperback version!) and it was unavailable - then it was re-issued and the formatting is now pretty much perfect :smile:

1,241 pages (94%) through now. Should finish it today or tomorrow.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished 'Mr Chartwell' by Rebecca Hunt today. I'm still considering my thoughts on what I can only describe as an original and compelling book. Mr Chartwell is the black dog of Winston Churchill's depressive episodes. In this book he is tangible, physical and menacing.

I finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children last night....really enjoyed it a lot :D

I purchased a few books for my Nook recently:

The Stand-Stephen King (a bit of a splurge at $8.99)

The Ghosts of Varner Creek-Michael Weems (99 cents)

Te Mill River Recluse-Darcie Chan (99 cents)

Island of Lost Girls-Jennifer MaMahon ($2.99)

I love cheap reads :D

Finished The Girl Who Played with Fire - excellent read, even if I did get slightly spoiled halfway through by watching the movie of the first book. Everyone had told me they stick with the format of the book trilogy, but there is a detail they've moved into the first movie that isn't revealed til about two thirds into the second book. Grrr.

That's annoying, Alex. :(

If you get the chance, try the Swedish version - it's a really good adaptation and I found after about 10 minutes I didn't notice the subtitles (although I believe you can get a version with it dubbed over in English, but I think I'd prefer the subtitles).

I was on my own in the office today and having nothing else to do I had loads of time to read.

I finished The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and started Rosie's War: An Englishwoman's Escape from Occupied France by Rosemary Say and Noel Holland.

I also ordered a copy of The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole

Actually, they must have withdrawn that version for those reasons. I tried to get it a few months ago (having balked at the size of the paperback version!) and it was unavailable - then it was re-issued and the formatting is now pretty much perfect :smile:

1,241 pages (94%) through now. Should finish it today or tomorrow.

That's good to hear, even if it is too late for me! :thud: It would be good if they could provide an automatic swap for those who have purchased an imperfect version.

Finished ~ 'Still Alice' by Lisa Genova

Starting ~ 'Birdsong' by Sebasian Faulks (since I saw an advert for it on the telly, bought in a charity shop and has been lurking on my shelf for years, thought I would give it a go. Guess it might be a bit gruesome though!).

Only posted here once before looking for some books to read on holiday...

I got many suggestions and bought some books but didn't actually get round to reading them on holiday haha!!

I'm currently reading 'The high lord' by Trudi canavan from the black magician trilogy.

It's become my new favourite! I ADORE it! Really can't express how much I love this trilogy! I will be reading again and again...and maybe even again!! I think she wrote 2 other books after, leading on from the story and I'm gonna read them too.

Thank you for suggesting these books to me too :D

That's good to hear, even if it is too late for me! :thud: It would be good if they could provide an automatic swap for those who have purchased an imperfect version.

Actually, they might, and really should exchange it. If you log into Amazon, go to your account page....click on the Help button, they'll ask if you want to e-mail or phone. I've phoned them numerous times, alwasy with satisfaction.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

I'm putting Cryptonomicon to the side for the moment, and picking up Ghost Light by Frank Rich. It's been on my list for ages, and my husband loved it. So, here goes. Frank Rich was the chief drama critic for the New York Times from 1980 to 1993, and grew up in a theatre family.

Finished ~ 'Still Alice' by Lisa Genova

Starting ~ 'Birdsong' by Sebasian Faulks (since I saw an advert for it on the telly, bought in a charity shop and has been lurking on my shelf for years, thought I would give it a go. Guess it might be a bit gruesome though!).

Oh Inver, I'm so jealous you're reading Birdsong for the first time, it's such a wonderful book, not a quick read and certainly one to be savoured, enjoy!!

Only posted here once before looking for some books to read on holiday...

I got many suggestions and bought some books but didn't actually get round to reading them on holiday haha!!

I'm currently reading 'The high lord' by Trudi canavan from the black magician trilogy. It's become my new favourite! I ADORE it! Really can't express how much I love this trilogy! I will be reading again and again...and maybe even again!! I think she wrote 2 other books after, leading on from the story and I'm gonna read them too. Thank you for suggesting these books to me too :D

It sounds like it must have been a good holiday! :smile: I haven't read any Trudi Canavan, but I keep hearing good stuff about her work.

Actually, they might, and really should exchange it. If you log into Amazon, go to your account page....click on the Help button, they'll ask if you want to e-mail or phone. I've phoned them numerous times, alwasy with satisfaction.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Yes, they should do it automatically. I've had emails from them a couple of times when a revised version of a KIndle book I've already bought has been released. All I had to do was reply to the email and they automatically sent me the new version :smile:

Anyway, I finished The Stand last night. 'Twas good.

It sounds like it must have been a good holiday! :smile: I haven't read any Trudi Canavan, but I keep hearing good stuff about her work.

You really must! I finished reading the last book last night. Must admit I cried at some parts :-( such a good story.

I have this in my 'maybe I'll read it one day drawer', it's way out of my comfort zone so probably should try it sometime..

AG was in a way out of my comfort zone too, but I did enjoy it. I'd read Neverwhere first, and that was more in my line. I think Neverwhere is a better storywise, maybe a better place to start.

I loved 'American Gods', but you do have to just read it in a go-with-the-flow attitude otherwise it can boggle your brain a little. :doh: I would agree with perhaps reading 'Neverwhere' first. It is wonderful and really gives a great entry into Neil Gaiman's writing mind and all it's surreal storylines.

AG was in a way out of my comfort zone too, but I did enjoy it. I'd read Neverwhere first, and that was more in my line. I think Neverwhere is a better storywise, maybe a better place to start.
I loved 'American Gods', but you do have to just read it in a go-with-the-flow attitude otherwise it can boggle your brain a little. :doh: I would agree with perhaps reading 'Neverwhere' first. It is wonderful and really gives a great entry into Neil Gaiman's writing mind and all it's surreal storylines.

Ok, will pop it on my TBR list, though think maybe I'll try a library copy as I'm not supposed to be buying books at the mo! :smile:

Ditto to that.