Travel topic

MysteryRose

I love to travel. I have terrible itchy feet if I haven't travelled for a while. I love America. The people ;) and it's culture. I go over at least afew times a year like some of the people on the board know. I also plan to go to places like Madagscar and Belize There are so many places in the world I would love to and will go to in the future. I have been very forunate and have travelled well to many places all around. But I haven't been to as many as I would like.

In 2012 I have a few holidays and mini breaks planned. I am off to california (San Diego) in June and will be spending the first few days of my 30's there. Also after years of saivng and planning my family holiday is Florida. It something I have planned with my boys for years and finally after year we are going in August. I don't think I have ever been so excited about a year than I have about 2012.

I love to travel too, and used to do it a lot, I even considered a career in the travel industry, and went to college for 2 years to study for it, but for various reasons it never happened. My travelling has been confined in more recent years more to the British isles, but I have been to around 26 countries in all, mostly in Europe, but also Canada, Israel, Egypt, China, Thailand and Hong Kong. I am a budget traveller who prefers to make the arrangement myself rather than through an agent, and have a strong dislike of package tours in general, as they do little for the economy of the country you are visiting, tendind to rely on international hotel chains with imported food and drink. You could say that I am a bit of a green traveller in that respect, as I prefer to use local airlines and transport providers and locally run hostels and boarding houses, eating in local restaurants and cafes rather than expensive hotels. This is not only cheaper, but also brings you that much closer to the country that are visiting - personally I have never seen the point of booking an expensive 5 star package and never leaving the hotel, as to me the whole reason for visiting a different country is to meet the local people and experience their culture and way of life - you cannot do this if you never leave the hotel. This way of travelling then is for me at least not only cheaper, but much more fun.

I don't go abroad as much as I used to, mainly for financial reasons, as there was an extended period in my life where I could only obtain part time employment. Now that I am working full time again, I find that I am travelling a lot more. I usually try and have one main summer holiday each year for 2 weeks, with 1 week in late winter/early spring, usually to the island of Lundy in the Bristol Channel, and a week in the autumn to somewhere else in the UK, and one or two shorter breaks. Coran and I have very different tastes when it comes to holidays, so the longer ones tend to be on my own, with the shorter breaks for the two of us.

I am an island lover and outdoor enthusiast who prefers active holidays to sitting on the beach. It is not that I don't like beaches, I just don't like sharing them with half a million other people. I prefer quieter places, which are more off the beaten track. Somehwere where I can walk in beautiful surroundings, preferably by the sea, and watch birds and other wildlife without the distractions of so-called normal life. My requirements are quite simple really - all I need is a bed, a shower and somewhere to cook. I prefer to self cater due to my food intolerances, which make it very dificult to eat out, plus the fact that it is cheaper anyway and when staying in hostels, you also of course get to meet more people, both locals and other travellers.

I went to the Isle oi Man last summer, and this year shall be visiitng the Isles of Scilly. I also have a week on Lundy to look forward to at the beginning of March. As for any other plans - I will have to see.

I can't afford to travel anymore, but as a kid I was fortunate enough to be able to travel with my family. We often visited California, as we have family there, and also British Columbia, Idaho, Oregon, and several places around Washington state. I've also been to Washington D.C., England, and The Netherlands.

My younger brother has been begging me to visit him in Boston, where he attends graduate school, and I also really want to see New York City, Paris, Florence, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Provence, Japan, India, Hawaii, the Caribbean, Prague, Russia...and that's all I can think of for now. :D

I went to the Isle oi Man last summer, and this year shall be visiitng the Isles of Scilly. I also have a week on Lundy to look forward to at the beginning of March. As for any other plans - I will have to see.

Oh I'd love to go to the Isles of Scilly one day!!!

I can't afford to travel anymore, but as a kid I was fortunate enough to be able to travel with my family. We often visited California, as we have family there, and also British Columbia, Idaho, Oregon, and several places around Washington state. I've also been to Washington D.C., England, and The Netherlands.

Where have you been in The Netherlands?

I love to discover new places as well, but I don't go that far. I know France pretty well. I've been there quite a lot. I even lived there for a year.

But my newest "discovery" is England.

I had been in London and Cambridge before, but my first discovery of the country side of England was last year. Since then I've spent 2 holidays in Kent. The first one was near Dover (and a couple of days in London), the second one was near Cranbrook (and a couple of days in London). I'd love to go to England next summer, but I haven't made any reservations yet. I would love to go to London as well for a week max. But I'm not sure if I can afford it financially this year.

One of the great things of Kent is that it isn't that far from here. My son doesn't like long drives. I don't either really, so that's how I ended up in Kent last year. It is a beautiful county. It was a big surprise. I'd love to discover more of Britain!!

Oh I'd love to go to the Isles of Scilly one day!!!

This will actually be my second visit to the islands - the first was in 1996, so I am overdue for another visit. The thing that I love most about the islands, apart from the beautiful beaches, rugged cliff scenery and fantastic walks (and sunsets), is the ability to visit a different island every day. The Scillies comprise of five inhabited islands and several smaller uninhabited ones. St Marys is the largest of the inhabited islands and where most of the shops and services are situated, and as such makes an excellent base for exploring. I am renting a flat about a mile from the pier, and main town, which is situated right in the centre of the island. I can't wait !

Where have you been in The Netherlands?

We stayed in Rotterdam, toured Amsterdam for a day, then went to Den Haag to watch my older brother perform at the North Sea Jazz Festival. It was only a short stay and I wish I could have seen more!

I love travelling, but aside from some short trips across to France and Belguim in recent years, 2006 was the last time I travelled abroad. We managed to get a mega cheap trip to Hong Kong and had a fantastic time. It is such a wonderful place to visit as it really feels lke an east-meets-west kind of place. A unique setting indeed.

I have visited Denmark, The Netherlands and France over the years and enjoyed each enormously.

Husband has travelled with his job to Sweden, Germany, Singapore and India, and enjoyed each in their own way, although he found India's poverty hard to witness (entire families living in the street, actual gutters as beds etc)

We would love to travel more. We will very likely travel to Hong Kong again, even as a 'via' stop over, and would love to see New Zealand, and visit my big Bro in Australia..

• 2 weeks later...

Travelling is in my books probably one of the best ways to spend money. As a student I can't afford too many trips a year, but me and a couple of friends have this tradition of travelling somewhere in the spring. Last year we flew to Bergamo, Italy, stayed in Milan for a while, took a train to Venice and stopped by in Brescia to meet a friend of mine. We had a great time! This year we'll most likely visit Croatia. Should start planning the trip soon. :) A little weekend trip with my boyfriend would be nice as well, we were thinking about Poland or something.

So as you might have deduced, I'm not very into beach holidays. I prefer interesting cities, some culture, historical spots, beautiful nature... Though a day or two on the beach won't do any harm either, haha. Croatia might be a nice mixture of a bit of everything. I'd also love to see the world outside Europe a bit more, but maybe next year then. If my financial situation is good enough, that is... It's just so temptingly cheap to travel inside Europe.

We're off to America this year. It will be our fourth visit there overall, and the second time we will be there for an election. We have friends in Rhode Island, so will be going there (which we do every time), and we're also staying in Boston and Chicago. Been to New York City twice, and definitely want to go again. We've also been to Washington, Philadelphia and Baltimore (Washington in particular is amazing).

Other places I love are Rome and Berlin. We went to Berlin on our honeymoon - fascinating place. We're not really beachy people - I'd much rather do sightseeing, see some famous landmarks, visit museums etc., and fortunately my husband feels exactly the same way.

Edited by Ruth

I managed to get around a bit a few years ago - America (Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Tijuana, the Grand Canyon and New York) with my family, and also Paris on a school art trip. Paris involved lots of galleries, museums, different ethnic restaurants and very early mornings, but it was a wonderful trip. I've also been to England, which is just next door, a few times, particularly Kent, Brighton, London and that whole general corner as that's where my relatives reside.

I'd love to to do a series of trips, rather than covering just one country, covering regions. I'd particularly love to pick a few specific European cities, and interrail across Europe, visiting them along the way. I'd also love to do a Scandinavian trip, visiting parts of Finland, Norway, Sweden and Iceland if it wasn't too much extra to get over there. The last big one would be the ruins of Aztec/Mayan culture in South America, particularly Machu Pichuu. After that, I'd love to return to America and visit some of the big cities, not just L.A. Frisco and New York - I'd do some research about the other names we all know and pick a few favourites to go visit. Then the same applies to Canada, and last but definitely not least, I have every intention of going to Scotland at some point, if not marrying a native and staying there.

I have been to Iceland five times now and love the place. The first time I went was a package tour (coach trip) where I camped, but the other four times have been under my own steam, using Icelandic carriers and local busses and staying mostly at the excellent Icelandic youth hostels and the odd guest house. Iceland has a reputation for being expensive, but it doesn't have to be - if you want to you can spend several thousand pounds on a package tour with first class hotels and all your food included, but it is cheaper and much more fun to do it my way with a back pack and a bus pass. My last visit was in 2010, for a little over 2 weeks - including spending money (and eating out at least half the time - Iceland does have some very good vegetarian restaurants) it cost me around £1000 which wasn't too bad at all I thought. It is easy to organise yourself, as the country lends itself so well to this type of travel, and there are heaps of websites to help you.

Edited by Talisman

• 1 month later...

This summer I am going to London for a week. I've been there a few times already, but this is the first time I am going for a whole week. I am very excited to go and I can hardly wait.

This time I want to visit at least 2 or 3 parks, but it's not an easy choice. Holland Park is on the top of this list anyway. I've been there before and I now they have a great playground - for my son, not for me ;-)

I'd love to go to Hampstead Heath, but I want to go to Primrose Hill too... So maybe I'll do both.

But then there is also Richmond Park... :icon_oops:

What more do you think I should visit in London? And what is nice for kids? I've thought about the Natural History Museum, but my son is not very heroic, so I'm afraid there a things there that will scare him more then enjoy him. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Haven't been to London in a long time, but I did remember there was a thread about visiting London a while back, so just had a look and here it is! http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8444-4-days-in-london-what-to-do. Might be worth a look to see if you can get any inspiration from there :)

My kids prefer the Science Museum, there are lots of interactive exhibits there and it's much more modern.. They love Covent Garden, to eat ice cream and watch the street performers, the London Eye is great too if they've not done it before... Madame Tussauds we all enjoyed but probably best for age 10+...

Kew Gardens is well worth a visit and they have more there for kids these days, I think their website is pretty good if I remember correctly.

Lastly the other two things we have done (but a bit pricey) were the Ducktours - an amphibious bus that tours around London then drive into the river, good fun for younger ones, if he's a bit older the Rib tour was fantastic, it's like a speedboat that does a very relaxed tour of the river, starting from the London Eye, we paid for it with Tesco vouchers, we all loved it and are very keen to save up and do it all again.. (My three are 12, 11 and 7 if that helps)!

Have fun!!!

Haven't been to London in a long time, but I did remember there was a thread about visiting London a while back, so just had a look and here it is! http://www.bookclubf...don-what-to-do. Might be worth a look to see if you can get any inspiration from there :)

Oh thank you! I'll check it out right now! :))

My kids prefer the Science Museum, there are lots of interactive exhibits there and it's much more modern.. They love Covent Garden, to eat ice cream and watch the street performers, the London Eye is great too if they've not done it before... Madame Tussauds we all enjoyed but probably best for age 10+...

Kew Gardens is well worth a visit and they have more there for kids these days, I think their website is pretty good if I remember correctly.

Lastly the other two things we have done (but a bit pricey) were the Ducktours - an amphibious bus that tours around London then drive into the river, good fun for younger ones, if he's a bit older the Rib tour was fantastic, it's like a speedboat that does a very relaxed tour of the river, starting from the London Eye, we paid for it with Tesco vouchers, we all loved it and are very keen to save up and do it all again.. (My three are 12, 11 and 7 if that helps)!

Have fun!!!

Thank you! My son is 5 yo. I'll check the website of the Science Museum and I'll see what I can find out about the Ducktours.

Thanks again to both of you!

• 3 months later...

I wish I could travel more, it gets so difficult with a young family!

My all-time dream is to spend a couple of months in India, it has been a "planning in progress" break for a while now, I am just waiting until my little one (my son is 6) is old enough to enjoy - and remember! - the rides on the elephants :)

Anyone been yet? Anything in particular you would deem as a must-see (except obviously the gorgeous Taj-Mahal and beautiful region of Kerala!) Any Indians who could advise?

Thank you!

My all-time dream is to spend a couple of months in India, it has been a "planning in progress" break for a while now, I am just waiting until my little one (my son is 6) is old enough to enjoy - and remember! - the rides on the elephants :)

Anyone been yet? Anything in particular you would deem as a must-see (except obviously the gorgeous Taj-Mahal and beautiful region of Kerala!) Any Indians who could advise?

Thank you!

A few months away? Is that possible with your child going to school?

I don't think it is difficult to travel with a young family. Well, it depends on what you really mean by travel, but you can go away with kids, I think.

India sounds great!

Thank you!

Hello Deborah, I am Indian - I currently live in Goa - with a travel-mad partner - so would be happy to answer any of your questions.

About "must-see"s. Hmm. That would depend on you, I think.

There are different kinds of tourists who have different choices of places.

Taj-Mahal and Kerala - are the most popular destinations. But one is the north, and the other in the south - and there's plenty to explore in between.

The beaches of Goa is almost like a second-home to plenty of folk from UK and Russia.

There are those who come on a spiritual quest - for yoga and meditation - they head mainly to Rishikesh which in on the banks of the holy Ganges, and at the foothills of the Himalayas. Higher up the mountains is Dharmsala, where the holy Dalai Lama resides, along with a community of Tibetian refugees.

And there is the state of Rajasthan - ​which spreads over the Thar desert. The sand-dunes, camels, and the vibrant culture of this place, attracts a lots of travellers from Europe - France and Italy mainly - and you'll even find locals speaking fluently!

Then there are blush-worthy temple carvings of Khajurao - 11th century relics of the Kamasutra in stone.

There's so much more - that it can be quite over-whelming for the first-time traveller!

Also all is not magical and beautiful, there are plenty of harsh realities - so I would advise you to do plenty of research and come prepared.

You could pick up a copy of Lonely Planet's 'India' - and read through - they have managed to strike a balance between describing the wonders, and the practicalities of travelling to India. You should be able to also pick out places that interest you.

If there's anything you specifically want to know, do ask - I'd be happy to help you. :)

Edited by bree

I'm wild about travel and can't wait to start back up again. I traveled a lot in my twenties and early thirties but unfortunately haven't been on an extended vacation since about 2003 - that's so sad! I'm on a self-imposed travel ban right now while I'm working very hard at getting completely debt free, but that will be over in 2014 thank goodness and I can start saving for trips again :).

I've only traveled abroad once, to the UK in 1995. I've also visted Canada and probably about 35 of the 50 States here in the US. I've been to California more times than I can count because of all my sibs who live there, but some other memorable trips I've been on have been to New York City, Washington DC, Chicago and Montana. My last major trip in 2003 was a 2 week road trip through New England, and that was probably the best trip I've ever taken. We flew into Rhode Island but then rented a car and stayed in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. We stayed in a different town every night except for 2 nights in Cambridge, Mass, so when I return I will definitely go to fewer places but stay longer.

I'm not a beach/relaxation traveler, but tend more towards the cities with either a lot of museums or historical sites since I like to do lots of stuff when I travel. I'm very much looking forward to one day going back to England and venturing to Scotland and Ireland as well. France and Italy are also high on my list, as is Bruges, Prague, Oslo and really any other city you want to send me to :D.

I'm fortunate enough to go to California in September (finally!) since I won a travel voucher on Delta through work, and am taking a mini road trip in September as well to visit some Laura Ingalls Wilder historical sites in my state and in South Dakota.

I love that you travel extensively in the US, Peace. I think too few people explore their own countries. I know that people here are always keen to get out of Australia for holidays and rarely travel around our country, or even around their own state! They have no idea about our own natural wonders and the fun to be had in our own backyard. I've travelled quite extensively around Australia but still have more to do. Of course there's plenty of overseas travel on my list as well. Much like books, there's never enough time or money to get through it all!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Deborah, I am Indian - I currently live in Goa - with a travel-mad partner - so would be happy to answer any of your questions.

About "must-see"s. Hmm. That would depend on you, I think.

There are different kinds of tourists who have different choices of places.

Taj-Mahal and Kerala - are the most popular destinations. But one is the north, and the other in the south - and there's plenty to explore in between.

The beaches of Goa is almost like a second-home to plenty of folk from UK and Russia.

There are those who come on a spiritual quest - for yoga and meditation - they head mainly to Rishikesh which in on the banks of the holy Ganges, and at the foothills of the Himalayas. Higher up the mountains is Dharmsala, where the holy Dalai Lama resides, along with a community of Tibetian refugees.

And there is the state of Rajasthan - ​which spreads over the Thar desert. The sand-dunes, camels, and the vibrant culture of this place, attracts a lots of travellers from Europe - France and Italy mainly - and you'll even find locals speaking fluently!

Then there are blush-worthy temple carvings of Khajurao - 11th century relics of the Kamasutra in stone.

There's so much more - that it can be quite over-whelming for the first-time traveller!

Also all is not magical and beautiful, there are plenty of harsh realities - so I would advise you to do plenty of research and come prepared.

You could pick up a copy of Lonely Planet's 'India' - and read through - they have managed to strike a balance between describing the wonders, and the practicalities of travelling to India. You should be able to also pick out places that interest you.

If there's anything you specifically want to know, do ask - I'd be happy to help you. :)

Bree, thanks so much for this. After reading your post, I was suddenly inspired and went on a long spontaneous search on the state of Rajasthan :smile:

I find your country truly fascinating.

I'll take a look at the book you recommended, thanks again!

Bree, thanks so much for this. After reading your post, I was suddenly inspired and went on a long spontaneous search on the state of Rajasthan :smile:

I find your country truly fascinating.

I'll take a look at the book you recommended, thanks again!

Yes Rajasthan is beautiful. Fairy-tale palaces - spicy food - striking colours - and those mystical sand-dunes.

Do look up Pushkar, Jodhpur, Bundi, Jaipur, Udaipurand Jaisalmer in R'than.

I think they'll convince you to visit India soon :)

Edited by bree