Andrea's books 2012

~Andrea~

So I finally finished The Historian. While I would say overall I enjoyed it, I did find it too long and a bit slow in parts. There was a lot of detail to digest, about the history, and the landscapes and the country, almost as much of this as actual plot I thought. The plot itself however was quite good, but it was split over several interleaving narrators and sometimes the narrative of one narrator would go on for so long that I would have forgotten the thread of the next new voice when it came along. I wouldn't rush to read another book by her.

Next: I'm going to make a start on The History of Modern Britain by Andrew Marr, which so far has had me utterly absorbed. I doubt i will read it in one go though, especially as I am itching to crack on with my new Kobo reader :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good haul this year!

Paper:

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals - Wendy Jones

Audio:

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes - vol 2 and 3 (read by David Timson)

Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka

Miranda Hart - Is it just me? (read by Miranda Hart)

The House at Pooh Corner - A A Milne (read by Alan Bennett)

The Uncommon Reader - Alan Bennet (read by Alan Bennett)

Plus more kobo vouchers :-)

Good haul this year!

Paper:

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals - Wendy Jones

Audio:

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes - vol 2 and 3 (read by David Timson)

Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka

Miranda Hart - Is it just me? (read by Miranda Hart)

The House at Pooh Corner - A A Milne (read by Alan Bennett)

The Uncommon Reader - Alan Bennet (read by Alan Bennett)

Plus more kobo vouchers :-)

What a great haul indeed! I've seen plenty of favorable reviews of A Monster Calls on here, and The Thoughts... as well. They've been so plenty that I've had to add them to my wishlist :D

I don't do audio books myself, but the Sherlock Holmes should be interesting, as well as Metamorphosis. And I loved The Uncommon Reader: there are a lot of familiar characteristics of reading and readers in that novel ;) I'm sure you'll find similarities between yourself and the main character in that audio book!

Thanks Frankie, I'm glad you liked The Uncommon Reader, I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to that one especially.

I had another audio book on Thursday from my brother too:

The Woman who went to Bed for a Year - read by Caroline Quentin :-)

Edited by ~Andrea~