Andrea's books 2012

~Andrea~

Well I finished To Kill a Mockingbird yesterday. It was a wonderful wonderful listen. A great book, read in the gorgeous lilting southern accent of Sissy Spacek. It was different than I imagined. I know a lot of people loved it, but I expected it to be a little dry and a little worthy for some reason. It wasn't. It was full of heart and full of quirky characters. I just loved Jean Louise the child narrator and all the observances of small-town American life. Brilliant. In fact perhaps now one of my all-time favourite books.

This morning I started listening to 'I, Partridge' in the car, and was laughing out loud all the way to work. I think I'm going to enjoy this one :D

Edited by ~Andrea~

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of people loved it, but I expected it to be a little dry and a little worthy for some reason. It wasn't. It was full of heart and full of quirky characters.

I know exactly what you mean by this, but it really is a wonderful story isn't it? :smile:

Well I finished To Kill a Mockingbird yesterday. It was a wonderful wonderful listen. A great book, read in the gorgeous lilting southern accent of Sissy Spacek. It was different than I imagined. I know a lot of people loved it, but I expected it to be a little dry and a little worthy for some reason. It wasn't. It was full of heart and full of quirky characters. I just loved Jean Louise the child narrator and all the observances of small-town American life. Brilliant. In fact perhaps now one of my all-time favourite books.

This morning I started listening to 'I, Partridge' in the car, and was laughing out loud all the way to work. I think I'm going to enjoy this one :D

To Kill A Mockingbird is great. I read it at school and expected it to be really uninteresting and boring but it was fantastic.

I really must get around To Kill A Mocking Bird soon. It's been on the TBR pile for an age and all I've heard is good things. *Mental note to self to get my act together*. :giggle:

Last night I finished The Great Turning Points in British History. It was quite an interesting read and one I'll keep on my bookshelf for reference. I started it (got about a third in) last year, so I was pleased to have finished this off. I'm also currently finishing off another read from last year, God of Surprises, and I'm part way through a philosophy book, but I just wasn't in the mood to go from non-fiction to non-fiction so I picked up one of OH's books which is earmarked for the charity shop: a Futurama graphic novel: The Time Bender Trilogy. Reading doesn't get much lighter than this :D

Haha, I'll steer well clear of that book after that review! I'm glad you enjoyed To Kill a Mocking Bird, its a favourite of mine too. I think you should add Flowers for Algernon to you list for this year :D I want to get at least 3 other people to read this book by the end of the year lol, its such a good book!

I really must get around To Kill A Mocking Bird soon. It's been on the TBR pile for an age and all I've heard is good things. *Mental note to self to get my act together*. :giggle:

It's one of my all time favourite books, and one of the very few that I can read multiple times. The first time I read it, I was about 14 and it really made an impact. I've loved it just as much, if not more, with every reread. It's just...fantastic.

I also really recommend the film adaptation; it does stay very faithful to the spirit of the book. There is a lovely (true) story regarding the line where Atticus (Gregory Peck) tells Jem that every boy should have his father's watch. After filming, Harper Lee gave Gregory Peck her father's watch, because he reminded her of her father. Also, Brock Peters, who played Tom Robinson, read the eulogy at Gregory Peck's funeral.

Thanks Ruth, I'll check out the film. I think I'd like to read (as opposed to listen to) the book some day too.

Hmm - Flowers for Algernon? My TBR is already bursting at the seams but thanks for the recommendation :D

Back to my current read: 'Think' by Simon Blackburn, although I am sorely tempted to put it to one side and start Charlaine Harris's Shakespeare's landlord tonight :D as it is a little heavy going and not nearly as interesting as I'd hoped. Why do I give myself such dry heavy reading all the time lol? I am also currently enjoying I Partridge on audio, which has me laughing out loud every time I'm alone in my car :lol:

Edited by ~Andrea~

Back to my current read: 'Think' by Simon Blackburn, although I am sorely tempted to put it to one side and start Charlaine Harris's Shakespeare's landlord tonight :D as it is a little heavy going and not nearly as interesting as I'd hoped. Why do I give myself such dry heavy reading all the time lol? I am also currently enjoying I Partridge on audio, which has me laughing out loud every time I'm alone in my car :lol:

Well if your not enjoying it then id say move on :D especiallyif youhave another book you'd rather read!

I hope Shakespears Landlord is better thank Think!

I finished I Partridge yesterday. It was very good, making me laugh out loud a lot, as well as cringe in places. If you like Alan Partridge you'll love this, if not then I'd probably give it a miss.

I'm totally loving Shakespeare's landlord so far :)

• 2 weeks later...

Shakespeare's landlord, Charlaine Harris

from amazon:

Welcome to Shakespeare, Arkansas Disguising herself with short hair and baggy clothes, Lily Bard has started over as a cleaning lady in the sleepy town of Shakespeare, where she can sweep away the secrets of her dark and violent past. However her plan to live a quiet, unobserved life begins to crumble when she discovers the dead body of her nosy landlord. Lily doesn't care who did it, but as the suspicion of the police and local community falls on her, she soon realises if she doesn't unmask the murderer, her life might not just crumble: it might also end.

I finished this last night and really enjoyed it. I liked the protagonist, Lily Bard, a loner who likes cleaning and keeping fit (we had a lot in common lol, although she is a lot more extreme than me on all counts.) I enjoyed the mystery aspect, although not as clever as say an Agatha Christie, that didn't matter since the charactarisation and setting were good. A light, yet engaging read, I found I was hooked from the very first page.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Hope you enjoy it Laura. I thought it was great :)

This morning I started listening to my Sherlock Holmes audio book (short stories). I think I'll enjoy it. David Timson's narration is great.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Hope you enjoy it Laura. I thought it was great :)

This morning I started listening to my Sherlock Holmes audio book (short stories). I think I'll enjoy it. David Timson's narration is great.

thanks, it sounds really good :) I really need to read some more sherlock holmes books this year too :)