Ben's Reading 2012

Ben

I've decided to start Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. Not sure why but just picked it randomly off the shelves.

I have read this, but it was a while ago so I don't really remember much about it except that I enjoyed it. :blush2: I also enjoyed Remarkable Creatures by her as well. I do think she is a good storyteller. :smile:

Edited by bobblybear

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love your review of The Hound of the Baskervilles (always get that title mixed up with Tess of the D'Urbervilles :D ) Isn't that the one that tonights episode of Sherlock is based on? I only started dipping into Conan Doyle last year, he's great isn't he? Looks like The Hound is another one I should look out for :smile:

Love your review of The Hound of the Baskervilles (always get that title mixed up with Tess of the D'Urbervilles :D ) Isn't that the one that tonights episode of Sherlock is based on? I only started dipping into Conan Doyle last year, he's great isn't he? Looks like The Hound is another one I should look out for :smile:

Thanks poppy, as far as I could tell from the trailer I do believe tonight's episode is based on that yes - really looking forward to it. It's the only Conan Doyle I've read but I'm most certainly going to check out some more. The way he writes the Holmes mysteries - from what I can tell from that one - is right up my street.

I have read this, but it was a while ago so I don't really remember much about it except that I enjoyed it. :blush2: I also enjoyed Remarkable Creatures by her as well. I do think she is a good storyteller. :smile:

That's fair enough bobbly, it's definitely started well so far and I love the way she writes. Think I'm going to enjoy it a lot to be honest. :smile2:

Finished Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chavelier on the train earlier.

Thoughts:

Tracy Chevalier's story of a young girl who becomes a maid in the house of Johannes Vermeer and his family, is one which was thoroughly engaging. Her style of writing is just fantastic, a joy to read, as the pages flick by almost without you realising. I was captured and dragged into Griet's world almost without realising it was happening. At first there is no sign of the painter, and Griet goes about her business amid the chaos of his wife and children - who are ultimately fascinating in themselves. Chevalier's characters are just wonderful - each one interesting to themselves, but the relationships she weaves between the characters are even more marvellous. Griet, in such a short space of time, goes through such a journey; a journey of life and of growing into a woman. Griet develops as a character so much that by the end she is far from the person we first meet chopping vegetables in the kitchen of her now old home. If you enjoy a novel full of love, secrets, admiration, schemes and mystery, this one is for you.

5/5.

Edited by Ben

I've decided to start Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. Not sure why but just picked it randomly off the shelves.

Synopsis:

When Griet becomes a maid in the household of Johannes Vermeer, she thinks she knows her role: housework, laundry and the care of his six children. But as she becomes part of his world and his work, their growing intimacy spreads tension and deception in the ordered household and, as the scandal seeps out, into the town beyond.

Anyone else read this? Just had a quick read of the first few pages and I think I'm going to enjoy it muchly.

Yes, I've read it. One of her better books, although not my favourite, which is probably Fallen Angels. I notice that in the time it's taken me to read that you'd started it, you've already finished it! Hope you enjoyed it, and look forward to your review :)

Yes, I've read it. One of her better books, although not my favourite, which is probably Fallen Angels. I notice that in the time it's taken me to read that you'd started it, you've already finished it! Hope you enjoyed it, and look forward to your review :)

I thought it was fantastic, really enjoy her writing style. Ooh, I hadn't looked up any of her other work, but I'll add Fallen Angels to the wish-list. I'll get my review up tomorrow; been unfortunately very busy with studying the last few days, but I've got my thoughts ordered so shouldn't take me long to write up a bit of a review. :smile2:

Did your books get there yet Ben?

Love your review of The Hound of the Baskervilles (always get that title mixed up with Tess of the D'Urbervilles :D )

Haha Poppy that's hilarious you get those two books mixed up. Somebody should write a mash-up.Maybe it should be me. I had better read them both first.

Did your books get there yet Ben?

Haha Poppy that's hilarious you get those two books mixed up. Somebody should write a mash-up.Maybe it should be me. I had better read them both first.

I'm not at home at the minute but they should be arriving there in the next couple of days, Amazon says they've dispatched now. Haha VF I look forward to seeing The Hound of the D'Urbervilles in stores soon. :lol:

Not at my speed of writing. Sounds like a project though. With that exact title it is just begging to be written.

When I've read them both I might have to try something - even if it's just a short story fanfic or something. :lol:

It took me thirteen days into the new year before I caved, and bought some books. In all fairness, all were just £2.50 each in perfect condition. In total it cost me £10, and after I'd added up the prices on the back I realised it would have normally cost me about £30. That's a win in my eyes, just means more books for the TBR pile already, but I think I'm fighting a losing battle there so it doesn't matter. :lol:

Dracula. - Bram Stoker (I already have a copy of this somewhere but it's a really lovely 'Oneworld Classics' copy, and I couldn't resist for the price).

The Green Mile. - Stephen King (The synopsis intrigued me and I thought I'd add it to my ever-growing King collection).

One False Move. - Harlan Coben (I've enjoyed all the Coben I've read before - Caught, Deal Breaker - so it was a safe purchase).

The Bone Collecter. - Jeffery Deaver (Never read any Deaver before and this was the first in the series so thought I'd give it a shot).

So that's another three books added to my TBR meaning it's now over when it started, plus there's another two books I have to pick up from the depot this weekend. Just when I wasn't doing too badly with the start of the reading year, as well. :mellow:

Edited by Ben

Currently got The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, on the go. It's a collection of 12 of the Holmes stories and I want to read more of them this year, so I thought it would be a good place to start. I'm also reading it on my Kindle, which I've not actually used yet this year.

Synopsis:

Sherlock: The Adventures contains twelve short stories first published in "The Strand" magazine between 1891 and 1892 and then published as a collection in October 1892. It includes some of Conan Doyle's best tales of murder and mystery, such as "The Adventures of the Speckled Band", in which the strange last words of a dying woman 'It was the band, the speckled band!' and a inexplicable whistling in the night are the only clues Sherlock Holmes has to prevent another murder; and, "The Five Orange Pips", in which an untimely death and the discovery of the letter containing five orange pips lead to a cross-Atlantic conspiracy.

Read a couple so far, and they're great - can tell it's going for quick bursts of reading when I don't have a lot of time.

It took me thirteen days into the new year before I caved, and bought some books. In all fairness, all were just £2.50 each in perfect condition. In total it cost me £10, and after I'd added up the prices on the back I realised it would have normally cost me about £30. That's a win in my eyes, just means more books for the TBR pile already, but I think I'm fighting a losing battle there so it doesn't matter. :lol:

Dracula. - Bram Stoker (I already have a copy of this somewhere but it's a really lovely 'Oneworld Classics' copy, and I couldn't resist for the price).

The Green Mile. - Stephen King (The synopsis intrigued me and I thought I'd add it to my ever-growing King collection).

One False Move. - Harlan Coben (I've enjoyed all the Coben I've read before - Caught, Deal Breaker - so it was a safe purchase).

The Bone Collecter. - Jeffery Deaver (Never read any Deaver before and this was the first in the series so thought I'd give it a shot).

So that's another three books added to my TBR meaning it's now over when it started, plus there's another two books I have to pick up from the depot this weekend. Just when I wasn't doing too badly with the start of the reading year, as well. :mellow:

I've not read The Green Mile but the film was brilliant so hope the book is too - let us know when you get around to reading it! :smile:

I've not read The Green Mile but the film was brilliant so hope the book is too - let us know when you get around to reading it! :smile:

Certainly will. I'm going to read more King this year for definite. They're there waiting for me so I have no excuses. :lol:

Currently got The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, on the go. It's a collection of 12 of the Holmes stories and I want to read more of them this year, so I thought it would be a good place to start. I'm also reading it on my Kindle, which I've not actually used yet this year.

Synopsis:

Sherlock: The Adventures contains twelve short stories first published in "The Strand" magazine between 1891 and 1892 and then published as a collection in October 1892. It includes some of Conan Doyle's best tales of murder and mystery, such as "The Adventures of the Speckled Band", in which the strange last words of a dying woman 'It was the band, the speckled band!' and a inexplicable whistling in the night are the only clues Sherlock Holmes has to prevent another murder; and, "The Five Orange Pips", in which an untimely death and the discovery of the letter containing five orange pips lead to a cross-Atlantic conspiracy.

Read a couple so far, and they're great - can tell it's going for quick bursts of reading when I don't have a lot of time.

I'm reading this book on my kindle at the minute. I find them nice to dip in and out of and easy to pick up again when I do. I think I have read about 7 or 8 and I'm loving them. Glad you are enjoying them too :)

I'm reading this book on my kindle at the minute. I find them nice to dip in and out of and easy to pick up again when I do. I think I have read about 7 or 8 and I'm loving them. Glad you are enjoying them too :)

That's what I was thinking - because they're such a good length they're great if you want to just read one or two, then do other things. Problem is they're so good I'm probably going to end up reading them all at once at this rate. :lol:

That's what I was thinking - because they're such a good length they're great if you want to just read one or two, then do other things. Problem is they're so good I'm probably going to end up reading them all at once at this rate. :lol:

I keep thinking I'll just read one and thats it. Then I end up reading the first line or two of the next story and it hooks me in! Like you, at this rate I'll have read them all soon!

I keep thinking I'll just read one and thats it. Then I end up reading the first line or two of the next story and it hooks me in! Like you, at this rate I'll have read them all soon!

Haha that sounds a familiar story. :lol:

I just set up a Sherlock Holmes challenge here if anyone is interested - thought it might be an interesting one to do. :smile2:

Just receieved another two books from Amazon for university, which means the TBR increases ever more.. :no:

Deadlock. - Sarah Paretsky

Zastrozzi. - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Don't know much about these but they both sound interesting - which is more than I can say about most of the books I had to read for university. :lol:

2012 Purchases - 8. :no:

The Body In The Library. - Agatha Christie

Hound of the Baskervilles. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

One False Move. - Harlan Coben

The Bone Collecter. - Jeffery Deaver

Dracula. - Bram Stoker

The Green Mile. - Stephen King

Deadlock. - Sarah Paretsky

Zastrozzi. - Percy Bysshe

Why the head shake, Ben? Are 8 books too few? :giggle: Don't worry, the year's as long as the rest of them, you have plenty of time to buy more :empathy:

:giggle2:

A few nights back when I was half asleep, I thought of all stuff BCF and I came up with a reading challenge. It's quite massive. You want to hear it? Well, even if you don't, I'm going to tell you: one could try and read all the books that have been chosen as Reading Circle books here on BCF. How about that? Then I thought, 'I have too many challenges and books going on this year, I surely won't do it. Who would? Who shall I pin this challenge on...' Then I thought of you, because you asked me about that Rory Challenge some time ago :D So there you go, this one's free on me! :giggle2:

Why the head shake, Ben? Are 8 books too few? :giggle: Don't worry, the year's as long as the rest of them, you have plenty of time to buy more :empathy:

:giggle2:

Oh well that's okay then. :lol: I've pretty much just accepted the fact the TBR will go up not down this year, that way I don't set myself up for disappointment. :giggle:

A few nights back when I was half asleep, I thought of all stuff BCF and I came up with a reading challenge. It's quite massive. You want to hear it? Well, even if you don't, I'm going to tell you: one could try and read all the books that have been chosen as Reading Circle books here on BCF. How about that? Then I thought, 'I have too many challenges and books going on this year, I surely won't do it. Who would? Who shall I pin this challenge on...' Then I thought of you, because you asked me about that Rory Challenge some time ago :D So there you go, this one's free on me! :giggle2:

Oh Frankie, this is just too kind. :lol: I'm kidding, what on earth are you trying to do to me? I couldn't possibly attempt this.. could I? Hmm, well, maybe, there's always room for more challenges. ;)

In all serious though, that's actually a pretty good challenge, I've never properly taken part with the Reading Circle but I've followed the books that have been read and there are always great choices. I might see if I can have a shot at making a list when I have more time.

Not sure if I'm still quite sure this is a good thing though. :lol:

Thought I'd upload a photo of how my books are looking in my snug room at university (I'm still trying to persuade my dad to put shelves are but the wall is weak). Anyway, here's what I've done with the place.

All my 'classics' and university books are stacked up behind my laptop as you can see. Of the four draws on the right as you see it, three of them are full with books, and the vast majority of the filing cabinet on the right is too. I have done my best. :lol:

post-4386-0-52762500-1326648140_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben

That looks really nice and I love the panda! What a good way to stack books on your desk, I might have to steal that idea ;-)

Hehe I knew someone would comment on the panda. His name is Pedro and my grandma got him from China so he's a long way from home. :lol: