Ooshie's Reading List 2012

Ooshie

As usual, I am full of admiration for people who have properly organised lists of books they want to read - I will just be listing the books I read each month, and trying to remember to post a short (usually very short!) review of each one.

January

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry 5/5

On the Eve by Ivan Turgenev 3/5

Everything and Nothing by Araminta Hall 3/5

The Dancing Years by Cynthia Harrod Eagles 4/5

The Shadows in the Street by Susan Hill 4/5

Treason's Harbour by Patrick O'Brian 4/5

February

Mistress Masham's Repose by T H White 3/5

I'll Never Be Young Again by Daphne du Maurier 2.5/5

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick 3/5

Talleyrand by Duff Cooper 4/5

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker 4/5

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly 4/5

The Pied Piper by Neville Shute 3/5

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill 5/5

Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov 4/5

March

Nemesis by Jo Nesbo 4/5

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes 4/5

The Far Side of the World by Patrick O'Brian 4/5

Cell by Stephen King 3.5/5

Cover Her Face by P D James 3.5/5

blueyed boy by Joanne Harris 3/5

Foundation by Isaac Aasimov 3.5/5

The Reverse of the Medal by Patrick O'Brian 4/5

The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing 4/5

April/May

Transition by Iain Banks 5/5

Live Wire by Harlan Coben 4/5

Ben, in the World by Doris Lessing 4/5

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind 3/5

June

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo 4/5

The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo 4/5

The Snowman by Jo Nesbo 5/5

The Leopard by Jo Nesbo 5/5

July

Before I go to Sleep by S J Watson 5/5

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury 4/5

Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell 3.5/5

Brass Ring by Diane Chamberlain 3.5/5

Drawing Conclusions by Donna Leon 5/5

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay 4.5/5

August

11.22.63 by Stephen King 4/5

The Virginian by Owen Wister 5/5

Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov 4/5

A Month in the Country by J L Carr 5/5

V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton 3.5/5

Well, the rest of the year kind of descended into chaos, so I won't be posting any reviews, but will try and list at least most of the books I read:

Free Fire by C J Box 3/5

Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell 3/5

The Drop by Michael Connelly 3.5/5

The Real Katie Lavender by Erica James 3/5

The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen 3/5

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey 4.5/5

The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore 4/5

The Sixth Man by David Baldacci 3/5

Edited by Ooshie

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for the first time ever I am going to start a Wish List. There are so many reviews of books I like the sound of on BCF, and I am always forgetting their names, so here is my first ever list!

Wish List

Last Light by Alex Scarrow (bobblybear)

Howard's End is on the Landing by Susan Hill (Kell)

Any book by Larry McMurtry

Just After Sunset by Stephen King

11/22/63 by Stephen King - bought

Any book by Linda Gillard

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny

Dark Matter by Michelle Paver

The Miracle Inspector by Helen Smith (Ruth)

The Death of Grass by John Christoher

And another list! I am going to try and keep a note of the books I buy in 2012 to see if that helps at all in my effort to cut down on my buying (although I think it is a lost cause).

Books Bought in 2012

Paperbacks

The Shadows in the Street by Susan Hill (no 5 in the Simon Serrailler series)

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

The Pied Piper by Neville Shute (for Reading Circle)

The Dukan Diet

The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing

Ben in the World by Doris Lessing

Folio Society

Mistress Masham's Repose by T H White (secondhand)

The Virginian: A Horseman of the Plains by Owen Wister (secondhand)

The Gentleman's Daughter by Amanda Vickery (in sale)

Blackmailers Don't Shoot by Raymond Chandler (in sale, to give as a present)

Waverley by Walter Scott (in sale)

A History of the Indians of the United States by Angie Debo

The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman

Edited by Ooshie

• 3 weeks later...

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Synopsis - from back of book

A triumphal portrayal of the American West as it really was.

Set in the 1880s, Lonesome Dove is the story of a cattle drive, an epic journey from the Rio Grande to the highlands of Montana that will try men's souls as they attempt to carve out a new life in the last remaining wilderness.

Augustus McCrae and W F Call are former Texas Rangers, retired and becalmed after long years of putting down the Comanches. Gus is the romantic - a reluctant ranger who fills his days with whisky and the sound of his own voice reminiscing about the old days. Call is devoted to hard work and silence - drive, demanding and obsessed with the dream of creating his own empire.

Larry McMurtry's intensely powerful novel brings alive as never before this most enduring of American myths - the frontier - recreated in a magnificent story of heroism, love, honour, loyalty and betrayal.

I read this as the first of my 2012 Genre Challenge books, and will post this review in that thread too, so apologies to any of you who end up reading it twice!

I chose Western as my genre because I want to try some books I wouldn't usually read, and had it in mind that I hadn't ever read a Western novel. However, thinking back, as a child I read the My Friend Flicka/Thunderhead/Green Grass of Wyoming books, which were set on a ranch, and Mustang - Spirit of the Wild West by Marguerite Henry. So, it's not my first Western, just the first in a very, very long time :smile:

The characters are all very well developed, and I felt you really got into the heads of every one. It is hard to choose a favourite character because of that, but if pressed I would probably choose Newt because of his good heart and innocence. The storylines are all interesting, and the descriptions, both of the characters' emotional lives and of the cattle drive itself, are excellent. The edition I have is 843 pages of small print, but I can honestly say I enjoyed every page and was devastated when I got to the end of the book - I understand there are prequels and sequels, but I am almost afraid to try those in case they don't live up to Lonesome Dove; I would definitely like to try more of Larry McMurtry's work, though.

A great read, and one I thoroughly recommend to anyone who would like to try a Western.

On the Eve by Ivan Turgenev

Synopsis - from The Folio Society

A young man devoted to a political cause and an impulsive young woman looking to give her heart: On the Eve brings these characters together with consequences that are both believable and tragic. The story opens in the summer of 1853, when two young men are decorously courting the beautiful young Elena Nikolayevna. Shubin, a sculptor, is creating a portrait of her, while his friend Bersyenev tries to impress her with his philosophical learning. Their leisurely routine is upset by the arrival of Bersyenev’s friend Insarov. An ardent Bulgarian nationalist whose mother was killed by the Turks, he is determined to help liberate his country from Ottoman rule. Without setting out to do so, he wins Elena’s heart. But their future is threatened by family opposition, illness and the looming spectre of the Crimean War.

I had thought I would enjoy this book and had been looking forward to reading it, and it started well; I liked the characters of Shubin, Bersyenev and Elena, and enjoyed the interplay between them. However, once Elena became involved with Insarov I found I just couldn't care about what happened to them, and I found the ending unsatisfactory. It is only a short book, so I might well read it again another time to see if I get more from it, but overall it was a disappointment.

Everything and Nothing by Araminta Hall

Synopsis - from Amazon

A gripping psychological suspense novel, from an exciting new talent.

There’s no such thing as a safe house…

As children, we are told not to talk to strangers.

But as adults we welcome them into our homes.

So how do we know exactly who to trust?

On the surface, Ruth and Christian seem like an ordinary working couple with two kids – and a home in chaos. As the cracks in their marriage widen, they decide to get their very own super-nanny, Aggie. Quietly efficient, she brings calm and order, and the children adore her.

But why is Aggie so eager to gain their trust? Is there something sinister about her efforts to create the perfect family? And what is she really doing in their home?

Everything and Nothing builds to a mesmerising climax in a story that is, at its heart, about thwarted and damaged love

One of the blurbs on the book described as being like a mash up of Mary Poppins with Stephen King. That would be Stephen King on a pretty bad day, and less Mary Poppins than excitable chicklit. Another compared it to Daphne du Maurier. No! The underlying storyline was quite good, but I think what spoiled my enjoyment was the slightly hysterical tone of the whole book. Ruth's character is always on the edge of complete meltdown, Christian's ex the same - I would have enjoyed a sinister build up of suspense and tension more than the in-your-face approach of this book. Having said that, it did keep me reading to the end to find out what happened, but I don't recommend it. Thankfully, it had been passed on to me by someone else so at least I didn't waste any money on it!

The Dancing Years by Cynthia Harrod Eagles

1919. As the euphoria of the Armistice fades, the nation counts the cost: the millions dead or disabled; the unemployment; the strikes and shortages. Soon it becomes harder to remember what the war was for.

At Morland Place, Teddy finishes the war memorial and makes plans for improvements to the estate. Then a trip to France to see the place where Ned fell has wholly unforeseen consequences. Polly, grieving for Erich Kuppel, persuades her father to send her to New York. Despite Prohibition, the great city is pulsing with life, and new friends and exciting ideas promise to give her a fresh start.

Jessie and Bertie, detained in London by Bertie's job at Horseguards, long to start their new life together. Emma dreads the return to civilian life, and gives herself over to pleasure among the Bright Young People. A new world is struggling to be born out of the ashes of the war; but as long as the music lasts, they will keep on dancing.

This in number 33 in The Morland Dynasty - as you can tell by the fact that I have read them all, it is a series I really enjoy! The last few books had all been set during the First World War, and they were the books I have lliked least of the series, so I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that this book is set during the return to peacetime. There are the usual family dramas, and I found this book particularly interesting as it is starting to mention things and people that I am more aware of, such as the building of the first cenotaph and the courtship of Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon by the Duke of York. No doubt it will be about a year before the next instalment is published in paperback, but I am looking forward to it already.

• 2 weeks later...

The Shadows in the Street by Susan Hill

Synopsis - from Amazon

Serrailler has just put the final touches to a particularly challenging at assignment for SIFT (The Special Incident Flying Task force) and is enjoying a well-earned rest on a sedate Scottish island. But his sabbatical is rudely interrupted when he is called back to Lafferton. Two prostitutes in the area have disappeared; their bodies are subsequently discovered -- both women have been strangled. Is the killer a disturbed individual with a pathological hatred of prostitutes, as was felt to be the case with the most famous serial killer of all, Jack the Ripper? There is, however, more to the town of Lafferton then its red light district -- the Cathedral close holds a very different position in the social strata, but has its own problems -- notably a particularly acrimonious series of ecclesiastical squabbles. As Serrailler desperately tries to track down a vicious murderer, he is all too aware that the clock is ticking. Then a piece of luck moves events along in a very surprising fashion.

This is number 5 in the Simon Serrailler series, which I enjoy very much. For me, however, this book had slightly too much about his sister Cat in it. I do like the fact that we get to know a lot about his family, Lafferton, and life around the Cathedral, but I do prefer Simon Serrailler himself to very much feel like the main character in the book. But, that said, it was a very enjoyable read. The lives of the prostitutes and their families were very well described, you could really empathise with the difficulties in their lives leading to the choices they made, and the day-to-day struggles they faced. There are many other interesting characters in the book too, and they are also made very real - I don't want to say too much about any of them, though, as I don't want to spoil the book for anyone who might not have read it yet!

Hello Ooshie, and a very merry reading year in 2012! :friends3:

I loved it how you stated in your first post that you are only going to keep a list of books you read, and then in the next post you decide to keep a list of books you wish to acquire and books you have acquired :giggle:

I didn't know Susan Hill's written a series of books, apparently a detective series? Something I might want to look up :)

Hello Ooshie, and a very merry reading year in 2012! :friends3:

I loved it how you stated in your first post that you are only going to keep a list of books you read, and then in the next post you decide to keep a list of books you wish to acquire and books you have acquired :giggle:

I didn't know Susan Hill's written a series of books, apparently a detective series? Something I might want to look up :)

Thank you, frankie, a good reading new year to you, too! :friends0:

I know, I didn't stick to the "no lists" for long, did I? I'm hoping that if I keep a list of what I buy it will help me cut down. (No, I don't really think it will work, either...)

Yes, it is a detective series by Susan Hill, and I do find it very good - the first book in the series was my favourite, but I have enjoyed all the others, too. :smile:

I know, I didn't stick to the "no lists" for long, did I? I'm hoping that if I keep a list of what I buy it will help me cut down. (No, I don't really think it will work, either...)

:giggle: Well, you never know, really! Maybe if I pester you into posting your 'books acquired' list on the local grocery store's notice board with your picture and the word 'shameless book hoarder' written on your forehead, every 3-4 months, do you think that might do the trick?

• 2 weeks later...

:giggle: Well, you never know, really! Maybe if I pester you into posting your 'books acquired' list on the local grocery store's notice board with your picture and the word 'shameless book hoarder' written on your forehead, every 3-4 months, do you think that might do the trick?

:eek: Eeek! Public humiliation? Frankie, that's harsh ... but you know, it might just work! :lol:

Treason's Harbour by Patrick O'Brian

Synopsis - from the Folio Society

"I must tell you that the service is not designed for those that wish to gather beetles and henbane on some far coral strand and that grow snappish and petulant when desired to mind their duty."

No amount of such teasing can dent Stephen’s delight in his diving bell, and during a perilous mission to stop a French bribe reaching the ruler of Mubara in the Red Sea, Jack will be very glad of it. It is a mission which seems to have been betrayed, however. The French have many agents, and having a long score to settle with Stephen Maturin, they will stop at nothing to infiltrate his intelligence network. There are spies not only amongst his friends but in the highest echelons of the naval command itself, and this book marks the beginning of an intricate and deadly battle of wits.

The ninth book in the Aubrey-Maturin series, this was as usual a really good read - lots of humour, adventure, intrigue and battles, and affairs of the heart.

Edited by Ooshie

Mistress Masham's Repose

Synopsis - from Amazon

Ten-year-old orphan Maria lives in her ancestors' crumbling mansion, with warm-hearted Cook and the eccentric Professor as her only friends. Exploring the grounds one day, Maria discovers a wild, half-forgotten island in the middle of a neglected lake - and an extraordinary secret. For the island is home to a community of tiny people - the Lilliputians that Gulliver first met on his famous travels. But as Maria grows closer to her new friends, her own life is in grave danger. Her wicked governess and the cruel vicar are plotting to steal her rightful inheritance - and they will stop at nothing. How can Maria keep the Lilliputians safe, while protecting herself?

I hadn't heard of this book before it was made a Reading Group choice, and I hadn't read Gulliver so I wasn't sure what I would make of it. I would say I enjoyed it more than I expected to, very much in some places. For some reason, though, the pike hunt (which was only a few paragraphs long) really put me off and, as this was followed by the tale of the tiny airman which I also didn't enjoy, my enthusiasm never quite recovered itself. However, the edition I have has some really lovely illustrations, so I think I will read it again some time and hopefully enjoy the whole book more.

Hey, Ooshie, there you go! Patrick O'Brian. I've kept looking at Master & Commander and wanting to get it. Now it's out on the Kindle I'll put it on my wishlist :smile:

And Lonesome Dove :D

Glad to be helping your wish list along, Steve :)

I'll Never Be Young Again by Daphne du Maurier

Synopsis - from Amazon

'The iron of the bridge felt hot under my hand. The sun had been upon it all day. Gripping hard with my hands I lifted myself on to the bar and gazed down steadily on the water passing under...I thought of places I would never see, and women I should never love. A white sea breaking on a beach, the slow rustle of a shivering tree, the hot scent of grass...I breathed deeply and I felt as though the waiting water rose up in front of me and would not let me go' As far as his father, an accomplished poet, is concerned, Richard will never amount to anything, and so he decides to take his fate into his own hands. But at the last moment, he is saved by Jake, who appeals to Richard not to waste his life. Together they set out for adventure, jumping aboard the first ship they see and working their passage to Norway and around Europe, eventually to bohemian Paris, where Richard meets Hesta, a captivating music student...

I very rarely give up on a book, but I really wasn't enjoying it at all by the way I was around half way through and was about to call it a day and start something else. However, at that point the story moved to Paris, and I enjoyed that part of it enough to keep going.

By far my least favourite of the du Maurier books I have read so far. I'm glad it wasn't the first I had read, or I would never have tried any more of her writing.

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick

Philip K Dick's acclaimed cult novel gives us a horrifying glimpse of an alternative world - one where the Allies have lost the Second World War. In this nightmare dystopia the Nazis have taken over New York, the Japanese control California and the African continent is virtually wiped out. In a neutral buffer zone that divides the rival superpowers in America lives the author of an underground bestseller. His book offers a new vision of reality, giving hope to the disenchanted. Can other, better worlds really exist?

I had mentioned to my son that I usually only read the story in a book, I don't spend time thinking about subtexts etc, and he recommended this book to me as an example of how boring a book could be if more thought isn't given to it. Well, I didn't exactly find it boring, I found some of it quite enjoyable (particularly the bits involving the I Ching, and also the subtleties of the Japanese ways of behaviour). But, in the end, I found it a bit ... pointless. After I finished it I read up on the book on Wikipedia and can't actually identify anything I didn't pick up on. Thinking about it, it is actually the end of the book itself I found pointless. Maybe it was meant to be thought-provoking but I found it a poor ending.

Karsa Orlong, I apologise for my heresy! I do realise I am talking about an SF classic here :(

Karsa Orlong, I apologise for my heresy! I do realise I am talking about an SF classic here :(

Crikey, no need to apologise Ooshie, it'd be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same things. I thought it was very good, but it doesn't qualify as one of my favourites, and Dick isn't one of my favourites, either - I think there are better sf authors out there. At least you read it, eh? :smile:

Great reviews Ooshie :)

Thanks, Weave, I always think they look a bit short but my mind starts to go blank as soon as I start typing!

Crikey, no need to apologise Ooshie, it'd be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same things. I thought it was very good, but it doesn't qualify as one of my favourites, and Dick isn't one of my favourites, either - I think there are better sf authors out there. At least you read it, eh? :smile:

Oh yes, and I didn't have any trouble finishing it; I think part of the trouble was probably that everything I had read about it had been so positive that I was expecting a heck of a lot from it. It really was just the ending I was disappointed in. Better luck with my next SF/fantasy choice, eh? :)

I should have mentioned that it does have one of my favourite dedications of all time!

"To my wife Anne, without whose silence this book would never have been written"

Makes me laugh every time! :D

Edited by Ooshie

Talleyrand by Duff Cooper

Synopsis - from The Folio Society

An aristocrat who became a revolutionary; a churchman with a string of mistresses and an addiction to gambling; a trusted minister of Napoleon – this extraordinary figure whose blazing career survived five successive regimes is known to history simply as Talleyrand. Born in 1754 to one of France’s grand families and destined for the Church, Talleyrand was swept into the Revolution, then exiled, but returned to serve the Directorate. He was instrumental in the coup that brought Napoleon to power, but went on to betray him to restore the Bourbon monarchy. Although ofen reviled as a ‘traitor', Talleyrand only ever served one mistress, France: ‘I never abandoned a regime, until it abandoned itself’.

I chose this as my February Genre Challenge book; I rarely read non-fiction, so it counts as taking me out of my comfort zone! I had found the synopsis intriguing, and just after that Talleyrand had been mentioned a few times in one of the Patrick O'Brian novels I read, and that piqued my interest enough to go ahead and read it.

I was pleasantly surprised by just how readable it was. Very interesting, and not dry at all. At the end of the book there are notes on each chapter, but the book wouldn't suffer at all if those weren't read. Talleyrand himself is shown as an interesting character, and the historic events discussed are all full of interest too. However, I felt that I ended up knowing more about French history and politics than about the depths of Talleyrand's character, and this led to me giving it 4/5 rather than 5/5. Although I think it probably says more about me than about the book that I wanted more scandal!

Edited by Ooshie

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker

Synopsis - from Amazon

Mr. Hood's Holiday House has stood for a thousand years, welcoming countless children into its embrace. It is a place of miracles, a blissful rounds of treats and seasons, where every childhood whim may be satisfied...

There is a price to be paid, of course, but young Harvey Swick, bored with his life and beguiled by Mr. Hood's wonders, does not stop to consider the consequences. It is only when the House shows it's darker face -- when Harvey discovers the pitiful creatures that dwell in its shadows -- that he comes to doubt Mr. Hood's philanthropy.The House and its mysterious architect are not about to release their captive without a battle, however. Mr. Hood has ambitious for his new guest, for Harvey's soul burns brighter than any soul he has encountered in a thousand years...

I have had this little book for years but although I am a Clive Barker fan for some reason had never got round to reading it, maybe because it is a children's book. I came across it again while unpacking some of my books from boxes after decorating, and as I have been thinking of getting back into reading more of the horror, fantasy and sci fi genres that I enjoyed so much years ago decided to give it a go.

I'm very glad I did! It is only short, so I finished it in a day, as I was utterly engrossed by it. The edition I have has illustrations by the author, which really added to it as well.

Edited by Ooshie

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly

Synopsis - from Amazon

Mickey Haller has fallen on tough times. He expands his business into foreclosure defense, only to see one of his clients accused of killing the banker she blames for trying to take away her home.

Mickey puts his team into high gear to exonerate Lisa Trammel, even though the evidence and his own suspicions tell him his client is guilty. Soon after he learns that the victim had black market dealings of his own, Haller is assaulted, too--and he's certain he's on the right trail.

Despite the danger and uncertainty, Haller mounts the best defense of his career in a trial where the last surprise comes after the verdict is in.

I had been a great fan of Connelly's Harry Bosch series, and had been a bit disappointed when he began to concentrate more on Mickey Haller in the Lincoln Lawyer series. But I am getting to like Mickey more and more, and really enjoyed this book. It has a good storyline, is very easy to read, and I hadn't seen the "last surprise" mentioned coming at all.