Downloading Music for MP4

vodkafan

Hi I have bought an MP4 player from Ebay. It has not arrived yet. It seemed a good idea at the time. I realised though that I have no idea what to do with it . I asked somebody about buying music from itunes but they said itunes is only for Apple products. Also they told me that MP4 is videos. So does that mean I can take music videos from youtube? ? I am a complete dullard with this sort of stuff. I have never downloaded anything except google images for my avatar. And I had to be shown how to do that :doh:

What is legal and what is not? And does it matter anyway?

Yes, copyright always matters. It exists for good reason and not just monetary. It is for me a question of ethics. How would you feel if you spent months or years creating something and someone just copied it without your permission? I know I wouldn't be at all pleased. You have to to a large extent, put yourself in the place of the artist or creator of that work. If you would not want someone to copy your own work without permission, then you should not do that to someone else. As for what is or isn't legal, copyright exists in all creative works whether written, spoken or sung, from the moment they become a tangible, physical object either in paper or electronic format (as in MP3, e-book etc) You can only make copies of such works with the express permission (usually in writing) of the creator or copyright holder of that work. if in doubt, then don't do it !

Edited by Talisman

as said above taking stuff from YouTube is copyright, you even see videos being taken down because of it. I'm pretty sure you can use Amazon to buy digital music like iTunes but it should work on your MP4 player? Not 100% sure though you may have to do some googling!

So far as I know most MP4 players will also play MP3's and you should be able to buy from iTunes without having an iPod, however probably worth a quick phone-call to Apple to confirm this

Hi Vodkafan, I have a Sony MP4 and I can confirm you can download from iTunes. I tend to download direct from Amazon music store too, you need to download their music transfer software to your PC and then on to the MP4 library. I can't say about music videos but I have downloaded some stuff from BBC iplayer inr the past. The screen is very small but I can manage to see a programme reasonably well. Hope you enjoy it - I wouldn't be without mine! :D

Edited by SueK

You can also transfer your CDs to your device. As far as I know, if you own the cd, you can copy it to your computer and from your computer to your mp4 device. You should have a cable for it somewhere. Since you payed for the music in the first place it is yours and as long as you keep the original to show if the government or whomever asks, that should be a ok.