Has anyone read...?

VanessaL

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read "Warm Bodies" by Isaac Marion? There's a film adaptation being released in a few weeks, and I'm wondering if the book is good. Has great reviews on Amazon.

I read it about 2 years ago. It is an interesting take on a zombie novel! Read it before watching movie, if you can!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone read Started Early, Took the Dog by Kate Atkinson - and if so, would it be okay to read it if one hasn't read the first two in the series? :smile:

It is a fantastic read, I would recommend you read the other two for a number of subtle hints, especially about his past relationship. But in terms of the main plot, it would be easy enough to read from that book and then go back.

Anyone read any Anne Tyler ? Waterstones had a display of her books the other day & then i spotted one in a charity shop Digging To America & bought it. Just wondered what other people thought of her.

I read Breathing Lessons for my Book Club back in 2008.   I can't remember a thing about it.  :blush:

I've just looked at my review and this is what I said (no spoilers)...

Maggie can’t help interfering with other people’s lives and, whilst well-intended, her meddling doesn’t always lead to the outcome Maggie desired.    The novel is both funny  and poignantly sad in places meaning that sometimes it feels as though Maggie needs a good talking to and on other occasions you feel like giving her a hug.    I don’t  want to give anything away, but one episode which takes place at a wake is both cringe-worthy and amusing all at the same time!

This book was the Pulitzer Prize winner of 1989.  I haven’t read any of Tyler’s novels before so I wasn’t sure what to expect.  What I got was a character-driven book where  nothing much really happens, and yet at the same time it was entertaining, if occasionally slow in places.  I’m not sure I’d rush out to buy any more of her books, but if I see any in a charity shop then I might pick another up. 

6½/10

I don't know how it compares to other books as I never did get round to picking any more of her books up, but I do remember that one of our members was a huge fan, so hopefully you'll enjoy it.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Kidsmum

I've read a few Tyler books,but they were earlier ones . I remember enjoying The Accidental Tourist ,since the main character was a bit of an eccentric if I remember correctly.

I also read Breathing Lessons and Ladder of Years.

Kinda hard to put her books into a category. They seem to be examining ordinary people in ordinary situations we all encounter in life .Interesting if you like reading about people when they make particular decisions and what the ends results turn out to be .

Has anyone else read/reading '2082: The Chronicles Of Hope'? I'm about 100 pages in and need a fellow enthusiast to work it all out! Cant stop speculating on how the books will pan out and where the story will go given that it's a series of books - i'm kept awake at night thinking about some of the ponderous thoughts of the protagonist Frank Noon (finally a political alternative - a working class genius politician) and some of the characters are just extraordinary

This was only published 1 month ago, and it's your first post - I therefore have to ask whether you are connected in any way to the book?

I'm also curious as to how you contacted an author 3 months before his book was published, and received an ARC, if you're not connected to them in some way? And yes, unfortunately we are suspicious, considering the amount of people who come on here to deceive.

• 2 months later...

Genesigeth 'Birth' by Phil Kernow

I just finished reading this book on my Kindle.  Interesting concepts for the future based on what is happening today, all packaged in a cracking story. Left me thinking, who knows!

Anyone know if this author has written anything else?

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing 'has anyone read' thread

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone read Rory Clement's historical crime novels starting with Martyr?

Yep, I've read the first four novels plus the Kindle short story and found them all very enjoyable.  I posted some thoughts on Martyr here. :smile:

Yep, I've read the first four novels plus the Kindle short story and found them all very enjoyable.  I posted some thoughts on Martyr here. :smile:

Hi Karsa Orlong,thanks for the reply and recommendation.I'll try and squeeze Martyr into September! :smile: