Ooshie's Reading List 2011

Ooshie

I think it was because I was expecting the lives of the people in the book to be more unconventional than they actually were - if it had been billed as a tale of everyday folk muddling their way through life like everybody else does then I wouldn't have had anything to be disappointed in and would probably have enjoyed other aspects of the book more! :)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't thought of it like that, Maureen, I had avoided posting because I didn't like to think I might spoil anyone else's enjoyment of the book! But I will try to pop in over the weekend - and, who knows, thinking about the questions more deeply might bring to mind positive things I had ignored :)

Oh, no, it was the blurb on the back cover, I'm not holding you responsible at all! :friends0:

Phew! :D

I hadn't thought of it like that, Maureen, I had avoided posting because I didn't like to think I might spoil anyone else's enjoyment of the book! But I will try to pop in over the weekend - and, who knows, thinking about the questions more deeply might bring to mind positive things I had ignored :)

I'm with Maureen, the reading circle gets better the more people come in with their opinions, and especially when people have very different ideas about the book in question. If your comments about not having liked the book puts someone off, then they need to check their own attitude, because if they really liked the book then nobody should be able to take that away from them :)

Cuckoo by Julia Crouch

Synopsis - from back of book

Polly is Rose's oldest friend. So when she calls with the news that her husband has died, Rose doesn't think twice about inviting her to stay. She'd do anything for Polly; it's always been that way.

Polly has never been one to conform - it's one of the qualities Rose most admires in her - and from the moment she and her two small boys arrive on Polly's doorstep, it's obvious she is not the typical grieving widow. But the longer Polly stays, the more Rose wonders how well she really knows her. She can't help wondering, too, whether her presence has anything to do with Rose's growing sense that she's losing her hold on her own family and home.

As Rose's meticulously constructed world is picked apart at the seams, one thing becomes clear: once Polly's in, it's very hard to get her out again.

This book had some very unexpected twists and turns; I couldn't wit to find out what happened next, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I read it as part of a book ring, so if you like the sound of it, put your name on the list! I thoroughly recommend it. :)

Under The Dome by Stephen King

Synopsis - from book

It is the story of the small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, which is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. No-one can get in and no-one can get out.

When food, electricity and water run short, the normal rules of society are changed. As a new and more sinister social order develops, Dale Barbara, a young Iraq veteran, teams up with a handful of intrepid citizens to fight against the corruption that is sweeping through the town and try to discover the source of the Dome before it is too late...

At 877 pages, this is a big chunk of a book. Although I had been looking forward to reading it, the length had put me off for quite a while, but I took advantage of having a week's holiday to get stuck in!. I was a big fan of Stephen King's earlier work (from Carrie to It, really) and found this book a welcome return to his old form (well, almost, not quite!). For the most part, I enjoyed it, and the tale kept up its pace well over the length of the book. I don't think it needed to be the length it is, though, and feel that if it had been shorter I would probably have thought King had definitely returned to his old form, rather than just almost! I would say that if you are a King fan already, read and enjoy, but if you haven't tried any of his work before, start with some of his earlier books.

Nice review of Under The Dome. I read it when it first came out, as I heard it was compared to The Stand by a lot of reviewers. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as good as some of his earlier work, but a far sight better than some of his later stuff. :)

I've noticed the title Cuckoo around the forum quite often lately and I knew it was a book ring book, but I never read any of the reviews or even the blurb, I figured why bother when there's so many other books I need to be reading? :rolleyes: Then I gave in and read your review and thought, "man, I must read that book!" :giggle2:

It was definitely a good read, frankie - I don't want to give too much away, but if you don't mind a teeny spoiler:

It starts out like an Aga saga, then enter a bunny boiler, then... no, that's enough, suffice to say unexpected things happen!

• 2 weeks later...

Play to Kill by P J Tracy

When Minneapolis homicide cops Gino and Magozzi fish a body out of the Mississippi, they think it's just another day, another corpse...until a film of the victim's murder appears online alongside other films, also featuring brutal killings. Pretty soon they're asking themselves whether the murders are linked and if so, whether this is the work of a lone killer...or several?

Desperate to find a connection between the gruesome films before more are uploaded, Gino and Magozzi turn to computer maverick Grace MacBride for help. But as the bodies and videos stack up, the team creeps closer to a terrifying truth with consequences for them all.

I have read and enjoyed all the Monkeewrench books by mother and daugher duo P J Tracy; I still enjoyed this book, and I felt there were moments of real tension in it, but for some reason the treatment of the characters just didn't do it for me this time, the the ending seemed really rushed. I had to read it twice to be sure I had understood it. In particular,

having Grace disappear into the sunset with John Smith

runs the risk of ruining the whole series for me!

I expect I will buy the next book, but I hope they bring the characters and relationships between them back up to their usual standard.

The Snack Thief by Andrea Camilleri

When an elderly man is stabbed to death in an elevator and a crewman on an Italian fishing trawler is machine-gunned by a Tunisian patrol boat off Sicily's coast, only Inspector Montalbano suspects the link between the two incidents. His investigation leads to the beautiful Karima, an impoverished house cleaner and sometime prostitute, whose young son steals other school children's mid-morning snacks. But Karima disappears, and the young snack thief's life - as well as Montalbano's - is endangered when the inspector exposes a viper's nest of government corruption and international intrigue.

This is the third book in the Inspector Montalbano series - I have read the first one, and read this one next by mistake! However, it didn't suffer from my not having read the second book, and I will look forward to reading that one before too long. As with the first book, I enjoyed the characters and the storyline, and particularly liked that the relationship between Montalbano and ihs girlfrield was explored to a greater depth in this book.

I seem to have a thing about fictional Italian detectives; this series now joins Zen and Brunetti on my shelves!

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

The Capitol Building, Washington DC: Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon believes he is here to give a lecture. He is wrong. Within minutes of his arrival, a shocking object is discovered. It is a gruesome invitation into an ancient world of hidden wisdon.

When Langdon't mentor, Peter Solomon - prominent mason and philanthropist - is kidnapped, Langdon realizes that his only hope of saving his friend's life is to accept this mysterious summons.

It is to take him on a breathless chase through Washington's dark history. All that was familiar is changed into a shadowy, mythical world in which Masonic secrets and never-before-seen revelations seem to be leading him to a single impossible and inconceivable truth...

The Dan Brown books get a lot of criticism, but I enjoyed this as a thriller; I did guess who the main "baddie" was quite early on, I didn't find that spoiled things for me. I enjoyed the descriptions of many of the buildings in Washing DC and find the references to symbolism in art and architecture interesting enough to think of finding out a bit more about it.

Edited by Ooshie

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

The Capitol Building, Washington DC: Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon believes he is here to give a lecture. He is wrong. Within minutes of his arrival, a shocking object is discovered. It is a gruesome invitation into an ancient world of hidden wisdon.

When Langdon't mentor, Peter Solomon - prominent mason and philanthropist - is kidnapped, Langdon realizes that his only hope of saving his friend's life is to accept this mysterious summons.

It is to take him on a breathless chase through Washington's dark history. All that was familiar is changed into a shadowy, mythical world in which Masonic secrets and never-before-seen revelations seem to be leading him to a single impossible and inconceivable truth...

The Dan Brown books get a lot of criticism, but I enjoyed this as a thriller; I did guess who the main "baddie" was quite early on, I didn't find that spoiled things for me. I enjoyed the descriptions of many of the buildings in Washing DC and find the references to symbolism in art and architecture interesting enough to think of finding out a bit more about it.

I enjoy reading dan brown books, I think this one is my favourite though! And I also guessed the 'baddie' too quite early, but this didnt spoil it for me either!

I enjoy reading dan brown books, I think this one is my favourite though! And I also guessed the 'baddie' too quite early, but this didnt spoil it for me either!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, laura; I did wonder whether we were meant to guess who the 'baddie' was, because the clues were very obvious indeed. For me, knowing that

Mal'akh was Peter Solomon's son

probably actually added to my enjoyment of the story. :)

I wonder how the phrase goes in English... is it something like, "You,too, Brute?" ?

:giggle2:

Have I missed something there Frankie ? That is what Caeser is supposed to have said to Brutus before he got stabbed.

Ooshie I will be interested to read what you think of The Name of The Rose

Ooshie I will be interested to read what you think of The Name of The Rose

I am enjoying it so far, vodkafan, I'm about half way through. I have to admit that I am finding all the information about the Catholic church and its various sects a bit confusing, though! If I am feeling tired then I must admit I don't pick it up. Have you read it yourself yet?

I am enjoying it so far, vodkafan, I'm about half way through. I have to admit that I am finding all the information about the Catholic church and its various sects a bit confusing, though! If I am feeling tired then I must admit I don't pick it up. Have you read it yourself yet?

Yes a long time ago before I came to BCF. I enjoyed it. There is a film too with Sean Connery which I have not seen.