Janet's Reading 2011

Janet

The audio book is utterly wonderful. The bring-it-to-life reading by Lyndam Gregory is magical and I found it so easy to invisage what was taking place. I don't know whether having read the book many years ago helped with my joy at listening to the book, but I thoroughly recommend it ~ and am happy to lend you my copy if you like. :) I found my hours of gardening flew by while listening to this.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh bless you - that's really kind of you. :hug: They have it in our library on audio CD so I can borrow it from there and rip it to my computer - I just don't know how I'll find time to listen to it. I'm not a gardener at all, unfortunately (as you'd be able to tell if you ever come to visit :blush: ) but if it's as good as you say then I'd really like to. But 22 CDs! That's a lot of hours! :o

It was brilliant, Ruth! :) It was Claire (Chesilbeach) who first told me about it, I think. Have you read anything else by him?

No, but I saw Family Matters in a charity shop, just after finishing A Fine Balance, so I bought that. Haven't read it yet, but am looking forward to getting around to it.

I shall look forward to hearing what you think about it when you get round to it then, Ruth. :)

I've just finished Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. What a book!

032-2011-Aug-02EllaMinnowPea.jpg

I loved it! The novel is epistolary which makes it a quick read… for the most part, anyway!

Ella Minnow Pea lives in Nollop, an independent island off the USA’s Carolina coast. The Island is named after Nevin Nollop who is immortalised in a statue in Nollopton containing tiles spelling out the pangram “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” which he is credited with creating.

One day, the letter ‘z’ falls from the statue. The Island’s council have a hasty meeting and decree that Nollop is speaking to them from beyond the grave and instructing them that from now on the letter ‘z’ is to be removed from their vocabulary. All written material containing the letter is to be destroyed, meaning that all books have to go. Islanders are informed that from now on, anyone using this letter will be punished.

Soon after, ‘q’ falls from the statue and this, too, is outlawed. The situation divides the Islanders as some agree with the Council’s decree and start to ‘shop’ offenders as neighbour turns against neighbour. People are given three warnings, after which they are sent away from the Island forever.

As the letters continue to fall, it becomes harder and harder for the Islanders to communicate with one another. Some are forcefully evicted after their third offence but many leave of their own free will, unable to continue living this way. How are they going to prevent all the letters from disappearing?

A young American man, Nate, who has an interest in the Island arrives and visits the council on behalf of Ella and the other Islanders. He tells the councillors that he has had the cement that holds the tiles in place analysed and that findings show that it is the erosion of said cement causing the letters to fall, not Nollop himself. The council disagree, but tell Nate that they have until Nollop’s birthday - about eight weeks - to come up with another pangram containing all the letters of the alphabet - but no more than 32. If they can do this then all the letters will be restored, but if they fail then the letters remain gone and the Islanders will be forever silenced.

This is so clever! The way Dunn writes is really clever as the letters he can draw on diminishes. Towards the end it becomes harder to read it, but I found I soon got the hang of it! I loved the outcome and the way it came about. So quirky - I really recommend this to anyone who likes something a little different!

I have just finished A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, which the lovely Chrissy bought me for Christmas. All I can say (at present) is wow! :wibbly: It has everything. I laughed, I cried. Such a brilliantly written, vibrant, colourful tale - largely based on things that actually happened in India in the 70s and 80s (unbelievable as some of it may seem) and one of those books I didn't want to finish.

Seems I can say more than wow!

Thinks that I have that on my shelf somewhere, sure I got it as a give away from the Big Book night earlier this year....fellow bookcrosser sent it I think. Glad to hear it is good.

Janet, I find I'm listening to my audio books more and more. I always listen at night, which I find easier than reading a book when I'm tired.. I listen in the car if Glen's driving.. I listen when ironing, tidying the house.. etc :D

I think once we get a new car (goodness knows when that will be!) it'll hopefully have an MP3 adaptor in it so we can listen to audio books that way. We do have CD players in our cars, but as the one I want to listen to is 22 CDs long it wouldn't be practical to burn it to CD. I have listened to some audiobooks in the car, but not for some time. I might get one out for when Peter and I have our weekend away in September. :) I need to buy a new MP3 player with more memory too, then I could listen whilst ironing as well! :D

Thinks that I have that on my shelf somewhere, sure I got it as a give away from the Big Book night earlier this year....fellow bookcrosser sent it I think. Glad to hear it is good.

I thought it was amazing. Such a good story and such an interesting time/setting. :)

I like the sound of Ella Minnow Pea - think that will be wending its way onto my wishlist this evening ;) Have managed to resist clicking on the spoiler button, which must mean I'm already planning to read the book in my head!

Great review of Ella Minnow Pea. I read it earlier this year and loved it, one of the most original books I've read. :)

bobblybear is right, it is very original. I hope you enjoy it when you get round to buying/reading it, Claire. :)

Lolita by Nabakov - it’s been on my shelf for a few years now but I haven’t got round to it yet!

I haven't read 'Lolita' either and want to .. sort of .. there's something that keeps putting me off.

Read it! Read it!

I'm on page 74! :D

I think once we get a new car (goodness knows when that will be!) it'll hopefully have an MP3 adaptor in it so we can listen to audio books that way. We do have CD players in our cars, but as the one I want to listen to is 22 CDs long it wouldn't be practical to burn it to CD. I have listened to some audiobooks in the car, but not for some time. I might get one out for when Peter and I have our weekend away in September. :) I need to buy a new MP3 player with more memory too, then I could listen whilst ironing as well! :D

I like to listen on my little iPod nano while ironing or cooking, the only trouble I have is with the cord .. I have to make sure I tuck it away somewhere because when it get's caught (which it is forever doing on drawer and door handles) ... yikes!! it yanks the plugs out of your ears and it's awful. I put it on at bedtime too .. on a sleep timer, usually listening to something I've heard before because it's the biggest pain in the neck to find your way back to where you were before you fell asleep. I usually wake up though to find that I've nearly garrotted myself in the night.

Thanks for your great review of 'A Fine Balance' Janet :) .. I've got it on the shelf and I guess the size of it daunts me a bit, I've heard nothing but great things about it though so I must start it soon.

I usually wake up though to find that I've nearly garrotted myself in the night.

:giggle2: Oh dear, not good!

Thanks for your great review of 'A Fine Balance' Janet :) .. I've got it on the shelf and I guess the size of it daunts me a bit, I've heard nothing but great things about it though so I must start it soon.

The size of it is quite daunting, and it did take me three weeks to read it, but I was so into it that it didn't feel that way. There aren't many books I rave about in this way, but it's so colourful and vibrant that I keep recommending it to people!

I am currently catching up on all the new posts on different threads, and I noticed this little conve you and poppyshake had in this reading blog of yours:

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Lolita by Nabakov - it’s been on my shelf for a few years now but I haven’t got round to it yet!

I haven't read 'Lolita' either and want to .. sort of .. there's something that keeps putting me off.

Yes, that's how I feel about Lolita too - I don't really know what's putting me off, but something is...!

I've had Lolita on my shelves for quite a few years and there was always something about it that put me off picking it up and reading it. The plot of the story, for sure, but also... I guess I always thought it was a boring sort of read, one of those classics that one needs to read no matter how awful it is. However, when I read Reading Lolita in Tehran for the Reading Circle, the novel was discussed in the book and I thought I should just go for it, I'll never get it read if I don't start it now. I'm now 170 pages in and I'm loving it! It's not boring at all, and I find it very beautifully written. So, quoting Kylie:

"

Read it! Read it!

"

:giggle2: No pressure! :lol:

;) I started it a few days ago!

:giggle2: Joking aside, I'm on page 157/330 so far and I'm really enjoying it. :)

Oh bloody hell, I missed your comment on having now started it, sorry! :blush: I was just too keen on pushing the book forward :giggle: I'm really glad to hear you are enjoying it, so am I, it really makes one wonder why one hasn't read the book ages ago...

Oh bloody hell, I missed your comment on having now started it, sorry! :blush: I was just too keen on pushing the book forward :giggle: I'm really glad to hear you are enjoying it, so am I, it really makes one wonder why one hasn't read the book ages ago...

Aww, I was only teasing. :hug:

Me too - I've wanted to read it for years (more of that when I've finished)!

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most

I can’t think of anyone that I can relate to as an adult, but as a child it would have been George from the Famous Five books. Although I didn’t want to be a boy like she did, I was a definite tomboy and was likely as not to be found up a tree!

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - it changed my opinion about my reading.

Up to the point I read this in 2006 (it was chosen by one of our Book Club members), my reading was mostly ‘chick-lit’, but this book showed me that there were so many other good books out there that I could read that it completely changed my reading and now I can’t bear most chick-lit (no offence meant to anyone who likes it :) ).

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - it changed my opinion about my reading.

Up to the point I read this in 2006 (it was chosen by one of our Book Club members), my reading was mostly ‘chick-lit’, but this book showed me that there were so many other good books out there that I could read that it completely changed my reading and now I can’t bear most chick-lit (no offence meant to anyone who likes it :) ).

Just a quick hijack on your thread! I completely understand the point you made about chick lit! This time last year it was the only thing I was buying and reading, but now I've realised to that their are so many 'better' (in my opinion) books out there! I have a fair few chick lit books still to read that I brought last year, but I've really gone off the genre!

I have a fair few chick lit books still to read that I brought last year, but I've really gone off the genre!

I gave all my 'to read' and read chick-lit books away (apart from Rachel's Holiday by Marion Keyes, which I do intend to re-read one day). I do still read some that might be classed by some as chick-lit (such as Emily Barr - I do like her) but they're usually on the 'darker' side.

I've just finished Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov!

I can pinpoint the exact time I decided that one day I would read this book! It was 1980, and I was, with my friend Debi, impatiently waiting for the promised “first ever playing of The Police’s new single; Don’t Stand So Close To Me”. As we used to do when we were teenagers, we recorded it onto Debi’s tape recorder and spent the rest of the evening memorising the words, as we were both potty about The Police! The line in the song “…just like the old man in that book by Nabokov” - well, we’d both heard of him and knew what the book was and the pair of us resolved to read it... one day. I don’t know if Debi ever did read it, but it’s taken me 31 years!!

Some more thoughts in the designated thread.

Definitely powerful stuff, and I think a book that would merit a re-read - although it might take me another 31 years to get round to it! :giggle2:

I thought it was amazing. Such a good story and such an interesting time/setting. :)

Excellent review of Ella Minnow Pea, Janet. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

I like to listen on my little iPod nano while ironing or cooking, the only trouble I have is with the cord .. I have to make sure I tuck it away somewhere because when it get's caught (which it is forever doing on drawer and door handles) ... yikes!! it yanks the plugs out of your ears and it's awful.

Goodness, yes. This used to always happen to me too.

I also meant to quote the part about garroting yourself. You really do have a wonderful way with words. :giggle2:

I can pinpoint the exact time I decided that one day I would read this book! It was 1980, and I was, with my friend Debi, impatiently waiting for the promised “first ever playing of The Police’s new single; Don’t Stand So Close To Me”. As we used to do when we were teenagers, we recorded it onto Debi’s tape recorder and spent the rest of the evening memorising the words, as we were both potty about The Police! The line in the song “…just like the old man in that book by Nabokov” - well, we’d both heard of him and knew what the book was and the pair of us resolved to read it... one day. I don’t know if Debi ever did read it, but it’s taken me 31 years!!

Some more thoughts in the designated thread.

Definitely powerful stuff, and I think a book that would merit a re-read - although it might take me another 31 years to get round to it! :giggle2:

You can obviously guess how thrilled I am that you finally read (and loved!) Lolita. I love a good book anecdote, and your story above is lovely. :)

Excellent review of Ella Minnow Pea, Janet. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

You can obviously guess how thrilled I am that you finally read (and loved!) Lolita. I love a good book anecdote, and your story above is lovely. :)

Thanks. :friends3: I've been recommending Ella Minnow Pea to all and sundry! My Mum wasn't keen though, which surprised me as we have a very similar taste in books. I think I might have over-hyped it a bit as she said it was 'okay'! :giggle2:

I like hearing what inspired people to read books too. :)

I texted my friend Debi on Sunday night - she never did finish the book (I was amused to hear that she still has the book she bought at the time - she was a year older than me, so 15) so she says she's going to try it again.

:D Well like you wrote in a later post, you beat Debi to it! I can't believe you can remember such a detail, like Kylie said, it made a great anecdote! The next time you listen to the song you can be all like 'the old man? Oh yeah I know him, read the book' :cool: And I'm happy to hear you liked it too! :smile2: