LauraLoves Reads 2011

lauraloves

Wicked - Gregory Maguire

wicked_logo.jpg

Challenges - Rory Gilmore Challenge

Synopsis - An astonishingly rich re-creation of the land of Oz, this book retells the story of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, who wasn't so wicked after all. Taking readers past the yellow brick road and into a phantasmagoric world rich with imagination and allegory, Gregory Maguire just might change the reputation of one of the most sinister characters in literature.

my thoughts - this book tells the story of Elephaba, or as many people know, the Wicked Witch of the West! it is a modern take on the story of the Wizard of Oz. The book makes the reader alot more sympathetic towards the witch, and alot less on the side of the good witch.

It goes into a lot of depth about her early childhood and teenage years, and I think I enjoyed this part of the book the most. it was interesting to see the story from her point of veiw.

I foind the begining of the story a little hard to get into, because there was a lot of characters, but after a few pages I really got into it and found the book hard to put down.

the only little bit of disapointment I had was that dorothy was only mentioned for the last 100 pages or so, I had assumed that she would have been in it for more of the book!

Overall a brilliant read, which is highly recommennded. It is part of a series and I can't wait to read more about it! Oh, and I really want to go and see the musical that is based on this book now too!

Rating - 4/5

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JLS: Just Between Us - Our Private Diary

61IXUmfv05L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis - With a triple platinum no. 1 album, two no. 1 singles, two Brits, two MOBO awards, a sell-out UK tour and a no. 1 bestselling book, it has been quite a year for JLS! Follow them backstage in this private diary and discover what life is like as the UK's hottest boy band!

By far the most successful band ever to come out of the X Factor, JLS went from strength to strength in 2009 and are set to become one of the biggest boy bands the UK has ever seen. With their loyal legion of screaming fans, JLS are a true pop sensation.

Since finishing X Factor - as the first band ever to make the finals - the boys have achieved things that did not seem possible 12 months ago. Two no. 1 singles, a no. 1 bestselling book, a no.1 album, two Brits and two MOBO Awards are just a few of the amazing list of achievements that JLS have notched up in 2009.

Just Between Us: Our Private Diary is an exclusive peek inside their phenomenal world. Join Aston, Ortisé, Marvin and JB as they hang out with their famous friends, appear on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, team up with Alexandra Burke on their triumphant return to X Factor, create mass hysteria by switching on the Christmas lights in Manchester and much much more.

Jam packed full of unseen photos shot especially for the book, plus behind-the-scenes gossip and never-before-seen video footage of the band, the awesome story of JLS's year is a must-have for any true fan.

Synopsis - I think this may be a book that I have never seen discussed here, and is probably not to everyones tastes! JLS is most difitaly my favourite band, hence my avatar! I watched their first x factor auditon and thought that they would be good from that! Anyway, this is there second book, its a brilliant read for any JLS fan. it follows them for almost a year, taking it from the recording of their first single, covering awards, albums and everything in between. also some of the photographs are absolutly stunning! A must have for any JLS fan!

Great reviews Laura, I'm glad you enjoyed the JLS book so much :)

Thanks Weave :D

I've never heard of JLS before. :blush: At least I finally know what your avatar is all about!

I don't think they are all that big outside of the UK, but they are well worth a look if you ever get chance!

My avatar is one of the members, Aston, looking lovely :doh::P

The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

lost_symbol_narrowweb__300x462,0.jpg

Synopsis - WHAT WAS LOST WILL BE FOUND…

Washington DC: Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned at the last minute to deliver an evening lecture in the Capitol Building. Within moments of his arrival, however, a disturbing object – gruesomely encoded with five symbols – is discovered at the epicentre of the Rotunda. It is, he recognises, an ancient invitation, meant to beckon its recipient towards a long-lost world of hidden esoteric wisdom.

When Langdon’s revered mentor, Peter Solomon – philanthropist and prominent mason – is brutally kidnapped, Langdon realizes that his only hope of saving his friend’s life is to accept this mysterious summons and follow wherever it leads him.

Langdon finds himself quickly swept behind the facade of America’s most historic city into the unseen chambers, temples and tunnels which exist there. All that was familiar is transformed into a shadowy, clandestine world of an artfully concealed past in which Masonic secrets and never-before-seen revelations seem to be leading him to a single impossible and inconceivable truth.

A brilliantly composed tapestry of veiled histories, arcane icons and enigmatic codes, The Lost Symbol is an intelligent, lightning-paced thriller that offers surprises at every turn. For, as Robert Langdon will discover, there is nothing more extraordinary or shocking than the secret which hides in plain sight…

My thoughts - to start with I was a bit weary about picking up this book, mainly because I had found Angels and Demons the same as The Da Vinci Code. While some of the themes in the books were the same, I found this book much more enjoyable. I found it very difficult to put down at times and would highly recommend it! I found the plot very interesting and also liked how the story changed perspective all the time, its a very fast paced book! A very enjoyable read, and anyone considering reading this do :D

Rating - 4/5

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne

My Thoughts - this has got to be the saddest book that I have read this year. I don't want to say too much about this book as I don't want to give anything away, but if you havent read this you must! A fantastic book that makes you think about a different perspective about events of the second world war.

Rating - 5/5

So excellent to hear that this amazing book is on the 1001 Children's Books list! And I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed it. The ending is just dreadful, and I never saw it coming. I think I was bawling my eyes out :blush:

Happy reading Laura :friends3:

So excellent to hear that this amazing book is on the 1001 Children's Books list! And I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed it. The ending is just dreadful, and I never saw it coming. I think I was bawling my eyes out :blush:

Happy reading Laura :friends3:

I think its my favourite read of this year really! The ending made me cry too, got some very funny looks of the family reading this one!

Happy reading to you aswell Frankie :D:friends3:

Envy - Coleen Nolan

coleen-nolan-envy.jpg

Synopsis - Television favourite Karen King loves three things: her job as presenter on a late night talk show, her gorgeous husband Jason, and her Spanx® pants, guaranteed to give the plumpest woman a waistline. She's happy, but fate is about to turn her ordered world upside down. Surprise number one is finding Jason in bed with a young blonde. Karen's barely over the shock when she's hotly tipped to take over primetime's highest-rating chat show. She wants the job - but so do some of the biggest divas in showbiz, not least the icy Julia Hill who will do absolutely anything to sabotage Karen. As the biggest catfight in town kicks off can Karen sort out her life and win television's greatest prize? With its glamorous characters and captivating heroine, Envy is a sexy, funny, unforgettable read.

My Thoughts - for people that arent really familar with Coleen Nolan, she is a member of The Nolans and does a lot of TV presenting here in the UK, mainly known for Loose Women. This is her first book and I brought it because I'm quite a fan of hers. I didnt expect it to ne up to much, but I was wrong! it was a fantastic read. it centres on a chat show with all women speakers (very simular to loose women)and all their lives and people within it. I did find the ammount of characters confusing at the start, and did have to keep refreshing things in my mind as to who they were, but other than that I got really hooked on the book. I also thought that the character of karen could have been based a little on Coleen herself.

A brilliant summer read, perfect for laying on the beach reading. The sequal has just been released and I am definatly going to give that one a read!

Rating - 4/5

• 2 weeks later...

Songs of the Humpback Whale - Jodi Picoult

9780340897294.jpg

Synopsis - Back in print by popular demand, national bestselling author Jodi Picoult's acclaimed debut novel treats fans old and new to a beautiful, poignant story of family, friendship and love. Jodi Picoult's powerful novel portrays an emotionaly charged marriage that changes course in one explosive moment. For years, Jane Jones has lived in the shadow of her husband, renowned San Diego oceanographer Oliver Jones. But during an escalating argument, Janes turns to him with an alarming volatility. In anger and fear, Jane leaves with her teenage daughter, Rebecca, for a cross-country odyssey. Charted by letters from her borther Joley, they are guided to his Massachusetts apple farm, where surprising self-discoveries await. Now Oliver, an expert at tracking humpback whales across vast oceans, will search for his wife across a continent, and find a new way to see the world, his family, and himself: through her eyes.

My Thoughts - This is not my first picoult book but I have to say its my least favourite that I have read. However, I did enjoy it, but it was quite confusing as it jumped about in parts and it was hard to follow in places. The story was good, and I did get into it at times, but not one I would read again.

Rating - 2.5/5

The Carrie Diaries - Candace Bushell

book_cover.jpg

Synopsis - Meet Carrie Bradshaw before ‘Sex and the City!’

The Carrie Diaries is the coming-of-age story of one of the most iconic characters of our generation.

Before Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw was a small town girl who knew she wanted more. She's ready for real life to start, but first she must navigate her senior year of high school. Up until now, Carrie and her friends have been inseparable. Then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture, and a friend's betrayal makes her question everything.

With an unforgettable cast of characters, The Carrie Diaries is the story of how a regular girl learns to think for herself, and evolves into a sharp, insightful writer. Readers will learn about her family background, how she found her writing voice, and the indelible impression her early friendships and relationships left on her. Through adventures both audacious and poignant, we'll see what brings Carrie to her beloved New York City, where her new life begins.

My Thoughts - Sex and the City is my all time favourite TV show, I've probably seen every episode over 10 times each! However, I have never read any of the books, until now! I probably ahould have started with the actual Sex and the City Book, but I started with The Carrie Diaries. This book starts with Carrie as a teenager, in her final year of school before she goes to collage. I really enjoyed reading this book, I read it in just over a day. It read very easily, with the same sort of plot lines that every book about teenage girls has, boys, parties, friends, fallings out, cliques, etc. Although this is a young adult book, I really enjoyed reading it. even if you have no interest in Sex and the City as a TV programme, this book is definitaly one to read. There is also a sequal out, so that is definitaly going on the wishlist, along with the other sex and the city books

Rating - 4.5/5

Re: Songs of the Humpback Whale - I've heard very mixed reviews on this one. I really like Jodi Picoult, but think I'll probably give this one a miss.

Re: The Carrie Diaries - I adored the tv show, and haven't read this book yet. But I was another one who was really disappointed in the Sex and the City book - the characters seemed virtually unrecognisable from those in the tv show.

I think I need to read this one, thanks for the review! I love the series but was so disappointed with The Sex and the City novel (I'm not sure if we've talked about that already).

Thats of I really enjoyed this book :D I've not read the Sex and the City book, but I've heard that its not all that good :/

I can't remember if youve mentioned that or not :blush:

Re: Songs of the Humpback Whale - I've heard very mixed reviews on this one. I really like Jodi Picoult, but think I'll probably give this one a miss.

Re: The Carrie Diaries - I adored the tv show, and haven't read this book yet. But I was another one who was really disappointed in the Sex and the City book - the characters seemed virtually unrecognisable from those in the tv show.

RE: Songs of the Humpback Whale - it really was for me a disappointing Picoult, I've loved every other book that I have read, but this one I just didnt like :(

RE: The Carrie Diaries - its a good book on its own, but I'm not sure how it compares to the Sex and the City book as I've not read it yet. Thats a shame about the characters though!

• 2 weeks later...

Country Persuits - Jo Carnegie

Products%5C552%5C157%5C9780552157063_m_f.jpg

Synopsis - The gorgeous women of Churchminster know exactly what they want – a constant flow of champagne (on tap at the local pub) and the love of a good man. But faced with the likes of braying, beer-guzzling farmer Angus, foul-tempered Lord Fraser and suave banker Sebastian (devoted only to himself), their attentions are increasingly drawn to more attractive possibilities . . . Meanwhile, when a part of their beloved village comes under threat from a villainous property developer and his bulldozer, the community is united by a different kind of passion. Can they raise enough money to save Churchminster? Will Mick Jagger turn up to the charity ball? And can a person actually die from too much extra-marital sex?

My thoughts - I enjoyed reading this book quite alot, however to start with I almost put it down. There is an awful lot of characters introduced early on in this book and I just can't get into books that do that. I carried on reading and got sucked in! the story centres on a villiage called Churchminster, a villiage in England, quite posh really and the people that live there. I also thought that it was going to just be chick lit, but it had elemenents of ghosts, romance, celebrity, missing people and murder. This would not be a book that I would lend to my nan however, as it is quite racy in parts and if your not expecting it, it could be quite a shock!

all in all a very enjoyable read, and I would recommend it!

Rating - 4/5

P.S. I Love You - Cecelia Ahern

book_ps.gif

Synopsis - A wonderfully warm and heartfelt debut from a stunning new talent. Everyone needs a guardian angel! Some people wait their whole lives to find their soul mates. But not Holly and Gerry. Childhood sweethearts, they could finish each other's sentences and even when they fought, they laughed. No one could imagine Holly and Gerry without each other. Until the unthinkable happens. Gerry's death devastates Holly. But as her 30th birthday looms, Gerry comes back to her. He's left her a bundle of notes, one for each of the months after his death, gently guiding Holly into her new life without him, each note signed 'PS, I Love You'. As the notes are gradually opened, and as the year unfolds, Holly is both cheered up and challenged. The man who knows her better than anyone sets out to teach her that life goes on. With some help from her friends, and her noisy and loving family, Holly finds herself laughing, crying, singing, dancing -- and being braver than ever before. Life is for living, she realises -- but it always helps if there's an angel watching over you.

My Thoughts - I already had a bit of an idea of what this book was about, due to the hype surrounding the book and also the film that has been made about it, but this didnt stop my enjoyment at all. I was hooked from the moment I picked it up and just could not put it down. the plot centres on Holly, who looses her husband Gerry, and the letters that he has left for her to read. It was really thought provoking and it almost seemed Holly was real, what with the emotions that she was going through. This book is fantastic, it stirs all differnt emotions within you and is definitaaly one to read. I've read one other Cecelia Ahern book, If You Could See me Know, and this one is ten times better even though I enjoyed the first one. I will definitaly be reading more books by cecelia ahern in the future.

rating - 5/5

Edited by lauraloves

Today I've had a parcel of books arrive and also been into town to the bookshop :D

Through the post I got

The Group - Mary McCarthy - This I ordered for the Rory Challenge. Its also on the 501 Must Read Challenge list. Will be starting this one next :)

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman - This I ordered for the June Reading Circle. Its something that I've wanted to read for a while and this seemed like the perfect oppertunity. it is also on the 1001 Childrens book list.

I also went to my local bookshop this morning and spend £20 on all these.

The Other Boleyn Girl - Something I've always wanted to read. Its on the Ultimate teen challenge too, which I didnt know!

The Shakespeare Curse - this I saw and its based on the works of Shakespeare, I'm quite a fan of shakespeare so I'm looking forward to reading this one!

Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen - I'm very ashamed to admit that I've never read a Jane Austin Book, so I'm making a start now! its also on the Rory List.

Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris - I've wanted to read the Sookie Books for ages, having seen them on hear loads, so I'm happy to have got my hands on this one!

The Seventh Scroll - Wilbur Smith - I just picked this one up because it just seemed like a good book!

Guilvers Travels - Jonathan Swift - This is a classic Book that I've never read.

Charlottes Web E.B. White - This is on several of the challenge lists and I've wanted to re-read this, having read this one many years ago.

Alice in wonderland - Lewis Carroll - I saw the disney film when I was around five or six, and the new johnny depp film, but never have read the book.

LBD: Its a girl thing - this I've been looking out for, as its on the Ultimate teen book guide challenge list.

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson - another clasic book that I havent read.

Seven Troop - Andy McNab - my boyfrind reads his books quite alot so I thought id see what they are all about!

Great Ghost Stories - a collection of 45 short ghost stories.

The Bad Mothers Handbook - Kate Long

bad-mothers-handbook-kate-long-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

Synopsis - The Bad Mother's Handbook is the story of a year in the lives of Charlotte, Karen and Nan, none of whom can quite believe how things have turned out. Why is it all so difficult? Why do the most ridiculous mistakes have the most disastrous consequences? When are you too old to throw up in a flowerbed after too much vodka? When are you too young to be a mother? Both hilarious and wise, it is a clear-eyed look at motherhood - and childhood - in its many guises, from the moment the condom breaks to the moment you file for divorce or, more optimistically, from the moment you hear your baby's first cry to the moment you realize that there are as many sorts of mother as there are children, and that love sometimes is the most important thing of all.

my thoughts - this book reads almost like a diary, centering on three generations of the same family and how times have changed, and sometimes not so much! There are various things covered in this book, family relationships, single parents Alzimers, teenage pregnancy, relationships and more. This was a very enjoyable read and I did find it difficult to put down. it made me laugh in places, made me think in placees and in the end was very sorry that it ended.

I've just found out that this was made into a film/tv adaptation staring Catherine Tate and Robert Patterson, so I'm definitaly going to give that a watch :D

rating - 4.5/5