Can you recommend me some upbeat but good books?

I'd like to read something substantial but with a positive tone, or humorous in an intelligent way. I'm in the mood for it, I feel slightly fed up with well-written but pessimistic stuff (Kafka, Palahniuk), but I really don't want to end up reading chick lit... Which is also pretty much how I ended up registering on this site - I don't know where else to seek advice x) Thanks.

Jasper Fforde'sThursday Next series, or his Nursery Crimes Division books I can definitely recommend as well written, up lifting, intelligent and humourous.

For some reason Julian Rathbone is also coming to mind. I have read his 'Last English King', 'A Very English Agent'and 'Kings Of Albion'and enjoyed them very much as humourous and intelligent historical reads.

Terry Pratchett's works I can also always recommend.

Hope that helps to get you started. :)

Jasper Fforde'sThursday Next series, or his Nursery Crimes Division books I can definitely recommend as well written, up lifting, intelligent and humourous.

For some reason Julian Rathbone is also coming to mind. I have read his 'Last English King', 'A Very English Agent'and 'Kings Of Albion'and enjoyed them very much as humourous and intelligent historical reads.

Terry Pratchett's works I can also always recommend.

Hope that helps to get you started. :)

It definitely does, thanks. :)