Title of book: The Reapers are the Angels

Name of author: Alden Bell

Publisher: Tor

Number of pages: 302 pages

ISBN-10: 0230748643

ISBN-13: 978-0230748644

2-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

God is a slick god. Temple knows. She knows because of all the crackerjack miracles still to be seen on this ruined globe...

Older than her years and completely alone, Temple is just trying to live one day at a time in a post-apocalyptic world, where the undead roam endlessly, and the remnant of mankind who have survived, at times, seem to retain little humanity themselves.

This is the world she was born into. Temple has known nothing else. Her journey takes her to far-flung places, to people struggling to maintain some semblance of civilization – and to those who have created a new world order for themselves.

When she comes across the helpless Maury, she attempts to set one thing right, if she can just get him back to his family in Texas then maybe it will bring redemption for some of the terrible things she's done in her past. Because Temple has had to fight to survive, has done things that she's not proud of and, along the road, she’s made enemies.

Now one vengeful man is determined that, in a world gone mad, killing her is the one thing that makes sense…

'The Reapers are the Angels' is the story of Temple, fifteen years old, alone and moving from place to place across a post-apocalyptic America where the undead (or 'slugs' as Temple calls them) roam, Temple was born in the years following the return of the dead to parents she cannot remember, the world she lives in is the only world she knows, so she has learned to survive the best way she can by not getting close to anyone, her one attempt of normality ended badly and now she feels safer roaming, trying to find a place where she can settle.

As you know, zombie literature is popular and 'The Reapers are the Angels' will definitely become an classic within the genre. Alden Bell takes the subject of zombies and sways it away from the typical maundering zombies searching for brains, instead he shows the aftermath of a world which has changed, from people still living the same lives they lived before it happen to people using the undead as a form of existence, Temple sees all of this on her travels, she is a born survivor and its hard to believe that she is only fifteen years of age at certain points in the book.

Temple as a character is well written, throughout the book she seems so detached from the world around her but you quickly realise, its not so much detachment as living in the world she has always known and as the story progresses you find out more and more about Temple (as much as she wants to tell you as narrator) and you know there is one way for Temple to go, you see glimpses of what Temple would have been like in a different world, which is sad to read because by the end of the book you will genuinely care for Temple.

There has been comparisons between 'The Angels are the Reapers' and 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy but I do not think there is, 'The Angels are the Reapers' is different in the fact that it is not so much how much carnage can be made but the way one person looks at the world.

Read it as soon as possible.

Edited by Weave

Sounds excellent! Thanks for the great review - they're always informative and well-rounded. I've so many books on my wishlist after you! :lol:

Thanks Nollaig and I apologise to your wishlist :)

Sounds excellent! Thanks for the great review - they're always informative and well-rounded. I've so many books on my wishlist after you!

What she said. Will you stop reading good-sounding books faster than I can buy and read them please :P (no, not really :friends0:)?!

Oh, now this is SO going on my wishlist. In fact, after this I might see if my online bookshop has it (and put it on my wishlist there, just ordered three books a few days ago, will have to wait till next time). I generally don't care too much about zombies, but post-apocalyptic is SO my thing. And good you don't say it's like "The Road" cause that one bored me, just showed how bleak everything can get.

But I can always use a good post-apocalyptic book. Thank you! :D

Edit: my online bookshop has it. Different versions. Only the cheapest is 15 euros for a 225 page paperback. Importing books sucks.

Edited by Univerze

Oh, now this is SO going on my wishlist. In fact, after this I might see if my online bookshop has it (and put it on my wishlist there, just ordered three books a few days ago, will have to wait till next time). I generally don't care too much about zombies, but post-apocalyptic is SO my thing. And good you don't say it's like "The Road" cause that one bored me, just showed how bleak everything can get.

But I can always use a good post-apocalyptic book. Thank you! :D

Edit: my online bookshop has it. Different versions. Only the cheapest is 15 euros for a 225 page paperback. Importing books sucks.

I hope you enjoy it Univerze :) and I am sorry about the importing :hug: