49 replies to this topic

#1 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,460 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

If you're looking through reviews of Room, wondering whether or not to try it, my advice would be to stop looking, and experience the book without any preconceptions.

I knew the basic premise, of a 5 year old boy's view of his captive life in a small room, and that was all. Once I started, I found the book very hard to put down. Jack's view of his world is so well done, and as others have said, I now miss his thoughts and his voice.

So go on, stop reading the reviews, and move on to the book! :)

For those who would like to know a little more...
Spoiler

This isn't however, enough to distract from a fascinating book. Despite the subject matter, it's actually a warm, uplifting story. You can't help but fall in love with them both, and it's a story that won't leave me for some time.

#2 nursenblack

nursenblack

Avid Reader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKY-USA

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

Wow! This sounds really good. I'm going to add to my wishlist. Michelle, your so right about reading a book without preconceptions or even knowing much of a plot. That's the way I prefer to read most of my books.

#3 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

I've also added this to my wishlist :D

#4 sparkle1106

sparkle1106

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

I'm really intrigued by this book and look forward to reading it. I just have to wait for it to come out in paperback.

#5 ~Andrea~

~Andrea~

She-geek

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:51 PM

Ooh that sounds good! Might have to give it a try.

#6 alison10

alison10

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

I really want to read this book, it has gone to the top of my wishlist.

#7 Stephanie2008

Stephanie2008

Live, Laugh, Love

• Advanced Member
  • 5,003 posts
  • Reading now?:Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.
  • LocationNewcastle, Eng.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

It's on my wishlist too. Well when it's available in paperback.

#8 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,058 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

Weird. I've never seen it in anything other than paperback here, and I bought my copy weeks ago. It was the same with Breaking Dawn - I never saw it in hardback here, but it was in paperback here for months before the UK got it.

#9 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,460 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

My copy is an advanced reading copy, and it says to be published August 2010. Maybe, for some reason, it went straight to hardback in the UK, but paperback in Ireland? What a strange thing if so.

Added: According to amazon, both editions were released July this year. Strangely, they are both priced the same.. the hardback has been reduced, but not the paperback!

Edited by Michelle, 15 September 2010 - 01:53 PM.

#10 Jess

Jess

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

This book actually sounds really good. I saw my friends mum reading it a couple of days ago and she looked really into it. I am going to have to pick up a copy when I can.

#11 pipread

pipread

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,569 posts
  • Reading now?:A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

I'm so glad I spotted this review Michelle, I was looking at Room in the shop the other day and ummed and ahhed over it, now I've seen your recommendation I'll be sure to buy it. Thanks. :)

#12 alison10

alison10

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

Well I am sorry to say I just couldn't get in to this book at all, maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to read it. I didn't like the writing style, but I may give it another go in a few months time.

#13 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,460 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

It is an unusual style, so it's not going to suit everyone. And as you say, it my take a particular frame of mind. :)

#14 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,058 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

Aw I'm sorry to hear that Alison10. I hope you enjoy it when you pick it up again, I thought it was great. :wink:

#15 green

green

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Reading now?:The Yellow Birds by Kevin Peters
  • LocationNorth-East,U.K

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

I stumbled across this book by accident on Amazon,liked the sound of it and bought it today in WHSmiths. Looking forward to Winter evening read.

#16 ladymacbeth

ladymacbeth

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:28 PM

I finished Room yesterday. It only took me a couple of days of reading.

I really enjoyed the first person perspective of Jack. However I will admit it became a little tiresome in the second half as I wanted to know more about what the other characters were thinking /feeling.

My favourite character was Steppa. Particularly the lego scene.

Overall, I would say this was an engaging read however I wouldn't say it was enjoyable just due to the traumatic subject matter. However, I think it was a valuable book for me to read because of the uneasy feeling it leaves me with. I generally think of myself as being quite tough and maybe a little bit devoid of feelings at times. I know sad things are happening in my life but I can't really feel it. Then I wonder if I am actually capable of feeling sad. However, lately I have been reading outside my comfort zone and think maybe I am actually really really sensitive and just avoiding all the bad feelings. That's kind of nice to know.

#17 lovesreading06

lovesreading06

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,423 posts
  • Reading now?:Every Second Counts by Sophie McKenzie
  • LocationScotland

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

I would recommend this book is is good.

#18 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,161 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

Oh. My. Gods! It’s rare I come across such a wholly engrossing novel as this – I literally couldn’t put it down and read late into the night till I was so tired I was falling asleep and physically unable to continue – I still fought the exhaustion and tried to continue! It’s so beautifully written – utterly claustrophobic and poignant. The twist of having the tale told by a five-year-old boy who believes Room (which is 11-square-feet) is the entire world is very clever, and the way things unfold make it a refreshing when told from his perspective. I honestly cannot recommend this novel highly enough, and in the wake of such cases as Franz Polzer holding his own daughter captive for 24 years, it’s terrifyingly real. Read it. Read it right now!

#19 Maureen

Maureen

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

Wow Kell that's quite a review, esp from a readaholic like yourself. I had downloaded the sample a while ago, and although intiguinging, did not download the book at the time. I have just rectified that :)

#20 chrysalis_stage

chrysalis_stage

Nature Lover

• Advanced Member
  • 1,338 posts
  • Reading now?:Kraken - China Mieville
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

I picked the book up from tesco last night :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users