New to the forums here - Seeking expert advice...

sixsix

Hello All,

I joined this forum to get some advice from experts. If there is somewhere more appropriate, let me know.

My wife's mom left her a set of Pearl Buck novels, personal correspondence, books and paperbacks. Of the 25 books, there are 17 signed, 12 of them are 1st Editions.

With the books is a provenance of 3-4 pieces of handwritten and typed letters from Ms. Buck and from her personal aide - all on the "House's" stationary. These letters welcome her to send books to her to sign and ship back.

We would like these to go to someone who would better appreciate a Very Nice Collection.

Our question is, How should we go about selling these - as a set?, individually? It is very difficult to gauge the value against single copies, even signed.

I have earnestly searched the internet and bookstores for comparisons to no avail. Any estimate to the value of this Collection would be an enormous help.

Thank You very much - In Advance,

Mike

Have you tried Antiquarian book stores? Google for that, you'll get a listing in your area. Also, have you tried ABE books? They have dealers on their site that specialize in same. Perhaps if you click on one of them selling something similar you'd be able to find some help.

I would suggest trying to sell it as a collection first, I'd think it would be more valuable to a collector that way.

Oh, also what about an antique auction house in your area?

Edited by pontalba
additional thought

Picking up from where Pontalba's excellent advice left off, I'd suggest getting the collection valued at an antiquarian bookshop but trying to sell it on eBay first with the price quoted by the antiquarian as a reserve; that way if anyone bids more than that, fabulous, and if not you can take the lot back to said antiquarian for the original asking price.

Another thing you might want to check out, if you aren't quite sure where to go locally, is your library. They might be able to help you in finding the right business to better assist you or even be able to help price them there. Either way, it would be a good place to start.

Thank you so much for your astute responses and quick too!

Affording a proper appraisal has kept me from the Antique houses and Museum reps. Seems everyone wants $100 an hour min.

Ebay and reserves... hmmmm....

I'll try to update things as I can,

A Fellow Reader,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...