Shutter Island By Dennis Lehane

FrancescaH

A friend's mom read this Lehane a long time ago and loved it. She's still telling me I need to add it to my TBR list :(. I'm like you, Univerze, I hate seeing a film version of a book first, so I may try to read it before I see it. I think the film looks great, and Scorsese? Wow. I also love Mark Ruffalo so I hope to see it.

• 3 weeks later...

Blurb from Publisher’s Weekly:

Lehane's new novel, his first since the highly praised and bestselling Mystic River, carries an ending so shocking yet so faithful to what has come before, that it will go down as one of the most aesthetically right resolutions ever written. But as anyone who has read him knows, Lehane, despite his mastery of the mechanics of suspense, is about much more than twists; here, he's in pursuit of the nature of self-knowledge and self-deception, and the ways in which both can be warped by violence and evil. In summer 1954, two U.S. marshals, protagonist Teddy Daniels and his new partner, Chuck Aule, arrive on Shutter Island, not far from Boston, to investigate the disappearance of patient Rachel Solando from the prison/hospital for the criminally insane that dominates the island. The marshals' digging gets them nowhere fast as they learn of Rachel's apparently miraculous escape past locked doors and myriad guards, and as they encounter roadblocks and lies strewn across their path-most notably by the hospital's chief physician, the enigmatic J. Cawley-and pick up hints of illegal brain surgery performed at the hospital. Then, as a major hurricane bears down on the island, inciting a riot among the insane and cutting off all access to the mainland, they begin to fear for their lives. All of the characters-particularly Teddy, haunted by the tragic death of his wife-are wonderful creations, but no more wonderful than the spot-on dialogue with which Lehane brings them to life and the marvelous prose that enriches the narrative. There are mysteries within mysteries in this novel, some as obvious as the numerical codes that the missing patient leaves behind and which Teddy, a code breaker in WWII, must solve; some as deep as the most profound fears of the human heart. There is no mystery, however, about how good this book is; like Mystic River, it's a tour de force.

I do not agree with Publisher’s Weekly that this book is “a tour de force.” This is my first novel by Lehane and I must admit I was not all that impressed.

The setting is very original – maximum security mental institution – which allows for good fodder for character development. Add to this a hurricane and the tension ripens fairly well in the book. Lehane’s protagonist grows on you, as does his partner (great humor). Unfortunately, the constant referral to the death of Teddy’s wife was a little tedious (“we get it already” I kept thinking). There are twists in the novel, but the main one was really no surprise to me as I sort of figured it out. Perhaps I just got lucky.

I have not seen the film but I have a sneaking suspicion the story will work much better in the film than the book.

I give it a 6/10

Edited by Maureen
removed formatting

I really enjoyed the book. I finished it in a day it was just so easy to read (I'm getting deja vu so sorry if I've written this somewhere else on the boards).

I read an interview with Lehane where he said the book wasn't supposed to be anything more than a fun, over the top ride. I'm paraphrasing since I can't remember his exact words but I think he succeeded. I loved the twist and how he got there. I'll happily read it again if I get the chance.

Am going to see this at the cinema hopefully this week. I don't usually read the book of a film after i've seen the film (although i will the other way round). A friend went to see it last week and is desperate to discuss it with someone! It made a big impression.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the film a few days ago and thought it was fantastic although I guessed the twist within the first 10 minutes! I haven't read the book as I didn't realise there was one :smile2: I think I'll add it to my wish list though.

Well I saw the film yesterday, and knew the twist long before the end too, though not as soon as 10 minutes. Then again I try not to think too much on what's going to happen (even though all these things keep playing through my head when watching) because I don't like figuring out the plot before it unravels. :smile2:

But the film was good. Don't know if I'll be reading the book though, film turned out way different than I thought it would be and don't know if I'd enjoy this type of book.

I've not read the book, but 20 minutes in I made a prediction on how it would go and I was bang on the money. We only bothered watching to the end to see if I was right. Can't comment on the book (which I've been assured by a friend is good, but the film has put me right off), but film-wise, it's been done before and done better in such films as Identity.

• 1 month later...

MG, I have not seen the film so I do not know how closely the movie follows the book. In my opinion, as you already know the twist, I would not waste time reading the book. There is so much more out there :lol:

So would you guys say if I've already seen the movie, that it's still worth while to read the book? or because I know the ending will it kind of ruin it?

I saw the film first, and bought the book on the way home. :lol:

Enjoyed both.

Thanks guys, I went to buy it tonight, and started reading it in the store, and I really couldn't get past more than a few pages -- I just don't like knowing what happens, especially when such a big twist is in store.

Have you guys read anything else by this author? I really enjoyed the movie, so I wonder if maybe I should read something else by him? Any suggestions?

Thanks guys, I went to buy it tonight, and started reading it in the store, and I really couldn't get past more than a few pages -- I just don't like knowing what happens, especially when such a big twist is in store.

Have you guys read anything else by this author? I really enjoyed the movie, so I wonder if maybe I should read something else by him? Any suggestions?

I enjoyed reading it mainly because if filled in some of the back story that was missing in the film, no truly big deal, but it definitely filled in some of the holes for me.

Haven't read anything else by him yet, but have two more on the shelf waiting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I REALLY liked this book, i never heard of it untill i seen the previews for the movie. I was interested so i read the book first. Then i went and seen the movie just a few weeks ago.

I thought the book was a whole lot better than the movie. I didnt like how in the movie they downplayed the "what is 67" letter, how in the book it was a huge part and had more to it.

Ultimately i was enthralled with the book, the movie however left me dissapointed and bored!