Purple Princesses Reading 2010

Purple Princess

Well i've never had a reading list before, and i know i'm a little late setting it up, but i thought it would be a good idea to have a list of which books i have read and a list of any recommendations that i pick up from members on here :D

Books to be read on my bookshelf:

Unspoken - Sam Hayes

A Cold Heart - Jonathan Kellerman

Wicked - Gregory Maguire

The Other Hand - Chris Cleave

I'm Watchhin You - Karen Rose

Misery - Stephen King

Pet Sematary - Stephen King

Carrie - Stephen King

PS I Love You - Cecelia Ahern

Monday's Child - Louise Bagshawe

For One More Day - Mitch Albom

Plea of Insanity - Jilliane Hoffman

Weekend in Paris - Robyn Sisman

Got You Back - Jane Fallon

Gossip Girl - Cecily von Ziegesar

Chasing Harry Winston - Lauren Weisberger

Be Careful What You Wish For - Alexandra Potter

A Quiet Belief in Angels - RJ Ellory

The Best a Man Can Get - John O Farrell

Break No Bones - Kathy Reichs

Body of Evidence - Patricia Cornwell

All That Remains - Patricia Cornwell

We Need To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver

The Thirteenth Tale - Dianne Setterfield

Bitter Harvest - Ann Rule

The Interpretation of Murder - Jed Rubenfeld

Northern Lights - Philip Pulman

London Bridges - James Patterson

5th Horseman - James Patterson

6th Target - James Patterson

7th Heaven - James Patterson

Fear - Jeff Abbott

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards

The Sinner - Tess Gerritsen

Notes on a Scandal - Zoe Heller

The Abortionist's Daughter - Elisabeth Hyde

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

Life of Pi - Yann Martel

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

Edited by Purple Princess

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wishlist/Book Recommendations:

Evermore - Alyson Noel (Read)

Her Fearful Symmertry - Audrey Niffenegger

Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

Hush, Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick

Bitten - Kelley Armstrong

Breakneck - Erica Spindler

Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane

Tell Tale - Sam Hayes

One Day - David Nicholls

New books for my bookshelf:

You Can't Hide - Karen Rose

The Broken Window - Jeffery Deaver

Guilty Pleasures - Laurell K Hamilton

Charm School - Nelson DeMille

Cathedral - Nelson DeMille

The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

The Understudy - David Nicholls

Dead Run - PJ Tracy

Blood Born - Kathryn Fox

The first book I started this year was The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stiegg Larsson but after the first few chapters I found I was really struggling with it. I put it aside when Bloodlust and Initiation by Alex Duval arrived into the library for me but I do intend to go back to it at some point....

I have now finished both Bloodlust and Initiation by Alex Duval, the first two vampire beach novels rolled into one double edition. These books were so easy to read, probably as they are intended for teenagers, but they just flowed so easily that before I knew it I was at the end of Bloodlust and beginning Initiation. I ordered these books from the library as I have been drawn in to the recent spate of vampire books and although they weren't as good as Twilight or Sookie Stackhouse I did enjoy them and will be on the lookout for the other vampire beach books in the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Evermore by Alyson Noel, synopsis from Amazon:

Seventeen-year-old Ever is the sole survivor of a car crash that killed her entire family. Living with her aunt in Southern California, she's plagued by the ability to hear the thoughts of those around her, and haunted by the ghost of her little sister. She tries to tune everyone out, shunning her old lifestyle as the pretty, popular cheerleader, but somehow she can't hide from Damen, the new guy at school. Stunningly handsome, clever and not a little bit intimidating, there's something about him that doesn't quite add up. Ever realises he's hiding something, but nothing could prepare her for the truth - especially when the truth involves past lives, murderous enemies, everlasting love and the secret of eternal youth . . .

I quite enjoyed this book, it was different and seemed original as it blended many themes and issues together. Some of the characters seemed a little stereotypical to me but the second book in this series is due out in March so they might get further developed in that. I'm not really sure where this series of books is going but at the end in the interview with the author section she says there are going to be six more books in this series and also a spin of series of books around Ever's sister Riley (my favourite character from the book) so she must have lots of ideas in mind :)

Thanks to Lexie for the recommendation and i will be keeping an eye out for the second book when it comes out.

Overall 7/10

Finished Unspoken by Sam Hayes, synopsis from amazon:

Mary Marshall would do anything for her daughter Julia. A devoted grandmother to Julias children, shes always been the rock her family can rely on. Until now. Mary has a past Julia knows nothing about, and its come back to haunt her Murray French is walking a tightrope. A solicitor struggling with an alcohol problem, hes about to lose his wife Julia and his children to another man: someone successful, someone they deserve. Someone whos everything hes not. Can he ever get his family back? Just when Julia Marshall thinks life is starting to turn around, she stumbles upon the brutalised body of a girl she teaches. And as the terrible present starts to shed light on her mothers past, Julia realises her familys nightmare is only just beginning...

Really loved this book, the story was told from three different angles - Mary's, Murry's and Julia's but it wasn't at all confusing and flowed so easily. It held my interest all the way through and kept me guessing, will be looking out for Sam's new book this year.

10/10 :D

I've been quite uncertain about what to read next so have tried reading the first couple of chapters of several books:

Little Bird - Camilla Way

Undead and Unwed - Mary Janice Davidson

I'm Watching You - Karen Rose

The Perfect Husband - Lisa Gardner

So first off i did't like Little Bird so that was abandoned very quickly, the way the author was desribing every single little tiny detail was irritating, imo. Undead and Unwed lasted a little bit longer but i found i just couldn't get into the writing style and the main character wasn't believable.

So i was left with I'm Watching You and The Perfect Husband and so far The Perfect Husband is winning by a mile as i'm quite enjoying it and find it intriging.....i think I'm Watching You can wait for a little longer on the bookshelf :D

• 2 weeks later...

I finished The Perfect Husband by Lisa Gardner this morning, synopsis from Amazon:

Jim Beckett was everything Tess had ever dreamed of . . . But two years after Tess married Jim, she helped put him behind bars for savagely murdering ten women. Even locked up in a maximum security prison, he vowed he would come after her and make her pay. Now the killer has escaped, and Tess has got to learn to fight back. With the help of a burned out ex-marine, Tess learns how to protect herself as a gigantic manhunt, crossing four states, counts down to this terrifying reunion between husband and wife.

This is the second book that I have read by Lisa Gardner, I read Hide about 18 months ago and really liked it so when I came across this I decided to give it a go.

I found this book very good, I really liked the main character Tess because she was so strong after everything that had happened to her. The book flowed along nicely and I liked the way Lisa wrote about Jim and made him so clever and evil. Some of the scenes in the book are a little on the gruesome side and there are also quite a few sex scenes too which I wasn't expecting but neither of these things bother me much.

I would like to read the next book she wrote, The Other Daughter, which I think has some of the same characters in it as The Perfect Husband.

Overall 8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, synopsis from Amazon:

9780099450252.jpg

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is a murder mystery novel like no other. The detective, and narrator, is Christopher Boone. Christopher is fifteen and has Asperger's, a form of autism. He knows a very great deal about maths and very little about human beings. He loves lists, patterns and the truth. He hates the colours yellow and brown and being touched. He has never gone further than the end of the road on his own, but when he finds a neighbour's dog murdered he sets out on a terrifying journey which will turn his whole world upside down.

I didn't really know what to expect before I started reading this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. I really loved Christopher, he has such a different view of the world due to his autism and I really felt for him when he had to deal with new people and situations. The author, Mark Haddon, has obviously researched Asperger's syndrome throughly and I feel he wrote a very insightful book about the condition and also about how it affects and puts a great deal of pressure on the rest of the family as they also try to cope with the condition.

Throughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone 9/10

Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, it's one of my all-time favorites! :lol:

I didn't really know what to expect before I started reading this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. I really loved Christopher, he has such a different view of the world due to his autism and I really felt for him when he had to deal with new people and situations.

I couldn't agree with you more. Christopher is such an amazing character, one of my favorites :friends0:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was reading Charm School by Nelson DeMille but Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger arrived at the library for me so I have temporarily put Charm School aside as there is a waiting list for Her Fearful Symmetry so am giving it a try.

I also bought the following books yesterday for just

Glad you liked Curious Incident, Purple Princess! I loved that one as well :).

I also see you picked up Secret Life of Bees, which is also excellent. I read it a few years ago in a book club and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Have finished Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger synopsis from Amazon:

9780224085618.jpg

Julia and Valentina Poole are normal American teenagers - normal, at least, for identical 'mirror' twins who have no interest in college or jobs or possibly anything outside their cozy suburban home. But everything changes when they receive notice that an aunt whom they didn't know existed has died and left them her flat in an apartment block overlooking Highgate Cemetery in London. They feel that at last their own lives can begin ...but have no idea that they've been summoned into a tangle of fraying lives, from the obsessive-compulsive crossword setter who lives above them to their aunt's mysterious and elusive lover who lives below them, and even to their aunt herself, who never got over her estrangement from the twins' mother - and who can't even seem to quite leave her flat. With Highgate Cemetery itself a character and echoes of Henry James and Charles Dickens, "Her Fearful Symmetry" is a delicious and deadly twenty-first-century ghost story about Niffenegger's familiar themes of love, loss and identity. It is certain to cement her standing as one of the most singular and remarkable novelists of our time.

Well I was looking forward to this as The Time Traveller's Wife is one of my favourite books but I have to say I was quite disappointed. I thought the plot was just totally unrealistic and the characters were just so unbelievable, I can honestly say that I didn't like or relate to any of the characters. I felt like it was a chore reading it and have only pushed myself to carry on with it as it's a library book and others are waiting for it. I think if I had bought it myself that I would have given up on it after just a few chapters and left it on the shelf for another day. The parts that really made me feel as if I was wasting my time reading this was when

Elspeth took the kitten's spirit out of it's body and then somehow put it back in again! And also when Valentina wanted Elspeth to look after her spirit whilst her body was placed on ice in the cemetary without her family realising! I just thought that it was a really stupid plot and I was also irritated when all the ghosts shrank themselves and went flying across London on the back of crows!

So all in all I can definately say that this was no where near as good as The Time Traveller's Wife and I can only hope that this book is just a blip in Audrey Niffenegger's writing and that her next book will be much more enjoyable.

Overall 3.5/10 :smile2:

I went to drop Her Fearful Symmetry back at the library today and ended up borrowing three more books - even though I was determined not to borrow any as I have plenty of my own to read!

But nevermind, so today I borrowed:

One Day by David Nicholls (as there has been such good reviews about it on here)

The Girl Next Door by Elizabeth Noble (because I really liked Things I Want my Daughters To Know)

Blacklands by Belinda Bauer (because I saw it on the TV bookclub and thought it sounded interesting)

I might not manage to get through all of them by the time they are due back but i'm going to try to at least read a bit of each of them to see whether or not they are worth renewing and reading in full...

I read 'One Day' recently and loved it and I think Janet read 'Blacklands' recently and loved it so if you can get to read them I'm sure they'll make up for your disappointing Audrey Niffenegger read. Hope so anyway :lol:.