Creed - James Herbert

Portent - James Herbert

The Spear - James Herbert Charity shopped 24.01.10

Sepulchre - James Herbert Charity shopped 24.01.10

The Chalice - Phil Rickman

The Man in the Moss - Phil Rickman

Havock Junction - Joe Donnelly

Fantasy / Historical

The Sword of Truth Series: The Pillars of Creation - Terry Goodkind - Finished 13.05.10

The Sword of Truth Series: Naked Empire - Terry Goodkind

The Liveship Traders: Ship of Magic - Robin Hobb

The Liveship Traders: The Mad Ship - Robin Hobb

The Liveship Traders: Ship of Destiny - Robin Hobb

The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray - Chris Wooding

The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett

Into the Darkness - Harry Turtledove

Darkness Descending - Harry Turtledove

The Earthsea Quartet - Ursula Le Guin

The Bartimaeus Trilogy: The Amulet of Samarkand - Jonathan Stroud

Legend - David Gemmell

Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow - David Gemmell

The Barbed Coil - J.V. Jones Charity shopped 24.01.10

Last of the Amazons - Steven Pressfield Charity shopped 24.01.10

Patrick - Stephen Lawhead

The Pale Horseman - Bernard Cornwell

The Lords of the North - Bernard Cornwell

Sword Song - Bernard Cornwell

Stonehenge - Bernard Cornwell

The Grail Quest: Harlequin - Bernard Cornwell

Graceling - Kristin Cashore

Other

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank

The History of Love - Nicole Krauss

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller

Wild Swans - Jung Chang

The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera

The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova

Our Man in Havana - Graham Greene

The Quiet American - Graham Greene

The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells

One Flew Over the Cuckoo�s Nest - Ken Kessey

The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks

The First Casualty - Ben Elton

Dead Famous - Ben Elton Charity shopped 24.01.10

Chocolat - Joanne Harris

The War of Don Emmanuel�s Nether Parts - Louis de Bernieres

The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman - Louis de Bernieres

Charlotte Gray - Sebastian Faulks

Human Traces - Sebastian Faulks

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood

The Robber Bride - Margaret Atwood

The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood

The Case of the General�s Thumb - Andrey Kurkov

Schindler�s Ark - Thomas Keneally

Perfume - Patrick Suskind

The Hippopotamus - Stephen Fry

Regeneration - Pat Barker

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje

The Night Watch - Sergei Lukyanenko

London Fields - Martin Amis

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

Metamorphosis and Other Stories - Franz Kafka

The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie

Fury - Salman Rushdie Charity shopped 24.01.10

The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins

Doctor Zhivago - Boris Pasternak

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

The Island - Victoria Hislop

The Other Queen - Phillippa Gregory

The Constant Princess - Philippa Gregory

American Pastoral - Philip Roth

The Plot Against America - Philip Roth

Stardust - Neil Gaiman

Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman

Twilight - Stephanie Meyer

An English Heaven - Robert Radcliffe

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

Poppy Shakespeare - Clare Allan

Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austin

Mansfield Park - Jane Austin

Northanger Abbey - Jane Austin

Persuasion - Jane Austin

Emma - Jane Austin

Guernica - Dave Boling

Wicked - Gregory Maguire

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Lord of the Flies - William Golding - Currently Reading

Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold - Finished 04.06.10

Gentlemen and Players - Joanne Harris - Finished 06.07.10

Life of Pi - Yann Martel - Finished 18.08.10

Borrowed Books

The Tawny Man: Fool's Errand - Robin Hobb - Finished 11.03.10

The Tawny Man: The Golden Fool - Robin Hobb - Finished 14.09.10

The Tawny Man: Fool's Fate - Robin Hobb

The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart - Finished 05.04.10

Books highlighted in red are books that I bought years ago which I have now gone off and don't really want to read. They may be finding their way to a charity shop very soon (even though I hate giving away unread books).

Edited by Book Fiend

I'm going to try my hardest to resist impluse buying and only buy books off my wish list this year.

Wish List - Books

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte Purchased 02.02.10

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

If This Is A Man - Primo Levi

Guernica - Dave Boling Purchased 19.01.10

Generation Dead - Daniel Waters

The Vampyre - Tom Holland

Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel Purchased 09.03.10

A Lifetime Burning - Linda Gillard

I, Lucifer - Glen Duncan

Handling The Undead - John Ajvide Lindqvist

Wish List - Authors (I'm allowed to buy any books by these people!)

Philippa Gregory

Margaret Atwood

Neil Gaiman

Edited by Book Fiend

Oh dear here we go.....

Guernica - Dave Boling (This was on my wish-list so I'm allowed it!)

Wicked - Gregory Maguire (This wasn't on my wish-list but I've been meaning to add it. Heard lots of good things about it in various threads)

Graceling - Kristin Cashore (OK I admit this was a complete impluse buy. It has a nice cover and the blurb sounded good.....)

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold (Unfortunately I had to get the film tie-in version!)

The Angel's Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Gentlemen and Players - Joanne Harris

Life of Pi - Yann Martel

The Constant Princess - Philippa Gregory

The Robber Bride - Margaret Atwood

The Year of the Floord - Margaret Atwood

Edited by Book Fiend

Thoughts and ratings on books read in the year.

The Fields of Grief - Giles Blunt This isn't usually my sort of book, but I really enjoyed it. It's about a detective whose depressed wife has apparently committed suicide, however he suspects she may have been murdered.....Nice and easy to read, and just what I needed to help get my mojo back!

Fool's Errand - Robin Hobb Robin Hobb is my favourite fantasy writer of all time, she writes the most beautiful books with characters that you love and care deeply about. She also makes me cry a lot! I loved this book so much!!

The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart Erm, I don't really know how to describe this book! Basically it's about a psychiatrist who is bored with his life so decides to shake things up by making all of his decisions based on the roll of the dice. Sounds straight forward enough, however the main character is a complete lunatic, and some of the options he gives the dice are, erm, interesting! I only decided to read this book because of all the fuss my mum made about it. Not good fuss either, she hated it, but it sounded so bad as to be intriguing. I didn't hate it, in fact I quite enjoyed it, but maybe I'm a bit twisted!

The Pillars of Creation - Terry Goodking The 7th book in the Sword of Truth series, and I have to say not my favourite! I thought it started a bit slow, built up nicely in the middle, but then just sort of fizzeled out in the end! I hope the next one is better!

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold I thought this started really well, and I thought I was really going to enjoy it, but I just completely lost interest about half way through, and I found the ending very disappointing.

Carrie - Stephen King Brilliant. How can such a short book be so good??

Gentlemen and Players - Joanne Harris I had to read this for my book club, and I absolutely loved it! A brilliantly gripping page turner.

Life of Pi - Yann Martel Beautiful, shocking, imaginative and completely original, I really loved this book. It's definately one of the best books I have read in a very long time!

The Golden Fool - Robin Hobb This is the middle book in the trilogy and as such I felt it was slightly lacking in plot. It was still good, but it was mostly about getting everything in place for the final book, which I expect to be amazing!

Edited by Book Fiend

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova

Chocolat - Joanne Harris

Perfume - Patrick Suskind

Twilight - Stephanie Meyer

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

I have read or delved into all of the above, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on certain ones, particularly The Historian and Perfume, and I think them both awesome books.

The others, with the exception of Twilight and Da Vinci Code, are brilliant books, and Twilight and Da Vinci are enjoyable if not guilty pleasures. :D

I agree with Nolly on the ones she listed - I've read all of those and as she said, with the exception of the Dan Brown and Stephenie Meyer, they were all top-notch. (The other two fill the time easily enough too, but they're not on a par with the others in that selection).

All the other ones I've read from the list have been ones I've enjoyed a great deal too. Some of them are literally masterpieces, while others are highly pleasing romps. :D

Kell has good taste, listen to her ;)

Oh the other one I meant to mention - Tom Holland's The Vampyre - I started that and couldn't finish it. I wouldn't say avoid it, because I'm going to give it another go myself, but I would say don't rush out and buy it as the first purchase of the year :)

The others, with the exception of Twilight and Da Vinci Code, are brilliant books, and Twilight and Da Vinci are enjoyable if not guilty pleasures. ;)

I agree with Nolly on the ones she listed - I've read all of those and as she said, with the exception of the Dan Brown and Stephenie Meyer, they were all top-notch. (The other two fill the time easily enough too, but they're not on a par with the others in that selection).

I must admit The Da Vinci Code nearly got red-highlighted when I was writing this list!! I bought it years ago but now can't bring myself to read it following all the hype. I've seen and read so many things about it I'm sick of it already! I've also developed quite a dislike of Dan Brown, despite having only seen a few minutes of interviews with him. Just something about him....

I only bought Twilight a few months ago, just to see what all the fuss is about. I'm going to save it for when I want something nice and easy to read.:)

My reading mojo has gone awol. I finished my last book on the 31st December, and now there isn't one single book I fancy reading on my TBR pile. I don't know what to do for the best - force myself to read something or just wait until my mojo returns. I don't want to spoil a good book by reading it when I'm not in the mood, but I have a target of 20 books to read this year so I need to be making some progres!!!

My reading mojo has gone awol. I finished my last book on the 31st December, and now there isn't one single book I fancy reading on my TBR pile. I don't know what to do for the best - force myself to read something or just wait until my mojo returns. I don't want to spoil a good book by reading it when I'm not in the mood, but I have a target of 20 books to read this year so I need to be making some progres!!!

Sorry to hear about your mojo :) If you don't fancy anything off your TBR pile, maybe you could pop into the library and try something completely different, something that strikes you immediately as something you'd love to read?

Well not today obviously, I expect the library'll be closed :) But tomorrow!

Sorry to hear about your mojo :roll: If you don't fancy anything off your TBR pile, maybe you could pop into the library and try something completely different, something that strikes you immediately as something you'd love to read?

Well not today obviously, I expect the library'll be closed :D But tomorrow!

I couldn't get to the library so I borrowed a book off my mum instead! It's a crime thriller, not the sort of thing I usually read, but just what I fancied :D

I just feel a bit bad because it's actually a book I bought her for christmas which she hasn't even read yet :D. She swears she doesn't mind though, she's not funny about books like I am!

I just feel a bit bad because it's actually a book I bought her for christmas which she hasn't even read yet :lol:. She swears she doesn't mind though, she's not funny about books like I am!

Ah :lol: Don't feel bad, if she swears she doesn't mind then she must be fine with it. My Mum and I are constantly reading each other's pressie books before the actual recipient of the book has had time to read it :roll: I'm glad you found something intriguing :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I got Guernica by Dave Boling, Wicked by Gregory Maguire and Graceling by Kristin Cashore. I've never heard of the last one before but it looked good.

I bought some jeans too, which I need to return so that could involve another trip to the book section!

I think I'm going to have to have a clear out and get rid of some books I've had for ages. The pile of books next to my bookcase is getting ridiculous! It's in serious danger of toppling over :lol:

I bought some jeans too, which I need to return so that could involve another trip to the book section!

You got jeans in the book section?! Wow! :lol:

My Mum has Guernica by Dave Boling on her 'to read' pile - I quite fancy it but I have so many books to read...

Like you're planning to do, I had a sort out last week and parted with one or two books that I've had on my 'to read' shelf for years, and that I've either gone off the idea of, or know I'll never get round too! Good luck with culling yours! :D

Like you're planning to do, I had a sort out last week and parted with one or two books that I've had on my 'to read' shelf for years, and that I've either gone off the idea of, or know I'll never get round too! Good luck with culling yours! :)

I've had a clear out and gotten rid of 15 books!!!! It was painful but it needed to be done! I know I will never read them, but I still hate to get rid of them.

Well I've finished my first book of the year and I've finally gotten my reading mojo back!!

I'm really enjoying my current book, Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb. It's the first book in The Tawny Man trilogy, and picks up about 14 years (I think) after The Farseer Trilogy ended. I'd forgotten what an amazing writer Robin Hobb is, this book has had me hooked from the very first page!

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely an obligation if they're that cheap (glad it's a very pleasant obligation ;)). I'll be interested to know what you think about Lord of the Flies, so far I've only seen quite... negativish comments about it. And Jane Eyre! I love that novel, it's definitely due for a re-read me thinks :censored: Happy reading :censored:

• 1 month later...

It's been a good and back week reading wise. I finished one book (Fools Errand by Robin Hobb) and bought two more (Wolf Hall and The Lovely Bones). No wonder my TBR pile isn't getting any smaller!! Damn those supermarkets with their cheap book deals, especially those that get cheaper the more you buy, enticing you to buy two when you only wanted one!! Gggrr!

I'm feeling rather emotionally drained after finishing Fools Errand. Robin Hobb really knows how to put you through the wringer!! I cried so much on Wednesday night that yesterday my eyes were still puffy and all grainy feeling. I also couldn't discuss the book without getting teary eyed again!! I'm okay now but it took two days. My dad thinks I'm really odd for crying at a book, but personally I find people odd who DON'T cry at books. I think it's a sign of a good book if it makes you cry. It shows that you connect with and care about the characters. A sad book that doesn't produce tears leaves me feeling strangely cold.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to updating this almost 3 weeks after finishing my last book. That was The Dice Man (small review on the first page of this thread) and now I'm reading The Pillars of Creation, which (I think!) is the 7th book in the Sword of Truth series.

To be honest, I'm struggling a bit with it! Terry Goodkind writes fantastic storylines, but I find his style of writing really quite irritating! If it wasn't for the fact that I'd already read 6 books in this series I'd perhaps give up, but as it is I feel I have too much invested! I've also been assured that the later books are great, so I will continue! Maybe it will improve when I get to the action, I'm on page 199 but there has been a disappointing lack of action so far.

Maybe it's because he has decided to write this book about completely new characters, so there's been quite a bit of introduction.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering about reading The Dice Man for a couple of years now but I've never actually managed to pick it up from the library and read it. The basic plot sounds really interesting in my opinion but somehow I just haven't attempted to read it yet. From what you said about it I gather that it could be an enjoyable read if it's not taken too seriously. Just one question: did you find it an easy, fast paced read?

• 3 months later...

I've been wondering about reading The Dice Man for a couple of years now but I've never actually managed to pick it up from the library and read it. The basic plot sounds really interesting in my opinion but somehow I just haven't attempted to read it yet. From what you said about it I gather that it could be an enjoyable read if it's not taken too seriously. Just one question: did you find it an easy, fast paced read?

Finally got around to updating my reading list after literally months! I'm so sorry Frankie, I completely missed your message!! :friends0: Anyway, if you're still interested, I found the Dice Man a nice fast paced read, not exactly easy (mostly because from what I can remember there's quite a bit of psychiatrist talk, which is interesting) but definately enjoyable, and definately not to be taken seriously!! I actually found it very very funny.

Anyway, it's been an odd few months reading wise. I've been quite busy with other things, so my reading has been neglected lately. Since I last posted I've read The Lovely Bones (really wasn't impressed), Carrie (very good) and Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris. It was my first Joanne Harris novel, and I thought it was brilliant. I read it for my new book club, and I'm so pleased I did. I took it on holiday with me and I just couldn't put it down. It was fast paced and easy to read, with fantastic characters. The only downside was

before I bought the book I read a few reviews on Amazon. and one woman completely gave away the major twist by saying she could relate because she was a girl in the 70s!!! Still, it was very well done, I just felt a bit cheated!

At the moment I'm ready The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb, and Life of Pi for my book club. I don't like reading two books at once, but it's a necessity as I have to finish Life of Pi by next Wednesday, and I'm only half way through The Golden Fool.

My new book club is very good. It's part of the social activities group I joined. I've only been to one meeting, but it was very fun and informal. A few people seem slightly *tries to think of a nice way of saying snobby but fails* about their reading choices. One woman seemed to think that because Gentlemen and Players wasn't fantastic literature with a deep and meaningful message, that meant it wasn't a good book. But hey-ho we all have different opinions :rolleyes:

I may not have been very good at reading books lately, but I've managed to buy quite a few :blush: I went to Waterstones a few weeks ago to pick up Life of Pi, but it was 3 for 2 on ALL fiction!! So I HAD to buy 3 books, then because I had spent over £10 I could have The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood for £4.50, so I HAD to buy that as well. In the end I got 4 books for £20ish pound, which is a complete bargain, but very very bad when you've only gone in for one and are trying to cut down.