Inver Reading List(s)

Inver

'The Private Lives of Pippa Lee' by Rebecca Miller

Joined in the bookring for this one run by Esiotrot. Thanks for letting me join in. Interesting life Pippa Lee lead!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

'The House at Riverton' by Kate Morton

Not an overly taxing read, but was part of the Reading Circle, so thought I would give it a go. Maybe I just took longer to read it than I should have to keep my interest going.

'Mums @ Home' by Sophie King (Signed copy)

Same author as 'The School Run'. Easy read about a group of people who find themselves logging on to 'Mums @ Home' website. They share the ups and downs over the net, and share their problems giving each other advice. (Bit like here :))

Review

Edited by Inver

• 3 weeks later...

'A Lifetime Burning' by Linda Gillard

It is a book of controversial themes, which I don't think will appeal to everyone, but you will have to read it to make up your own mind about that! I can appreciate how some readers wouldn't/won't like it and others will love it. I found it a compelling read and would recommend giving it a go.

Review

• 3 weeks later...

'The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox' by Maggie O'Farrell

Click here for proof I did read it!

Wonderful, page turning read. Second one of this author I have read and is now on my list of favourites. On the odd occasion I got confused with who was narrating in the story, but once I got used to the way it was written I was hooked. I found the ending a bit open ended too, a bit like her last one I read (although I think I know what happened!) Recommend.

'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' by J K Rowling

Great read as always. The continuing saga of Harry Potter v Voldermort. Turned up a few surprises!! Those who have read it will know what I mean. Off to start the final book now to tie it altogether, hopefully. Don't know why it took me so long to read these.

• 2 weeks later...

'Blood Ties' by Sam Hayes

This is a bookring run by Michelle. Great, page turning read. Found it a bit confusing at times keeping track of the characters and a few twists and turns along the way, just when you thought you had it worked out but enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...

'Helpless' by Barbara Gowdy.

Bookring run by supergran71. This was a page turner. I found myself trying to read quicker to find out what was going to happen at the end. A suspense story, but given the storyline of abduction of a young girl and what you think the outcome was going to be, getting so far with it you think you know what the ending is etc....well you will have to read it to find out won't you :D Thanks Ann for putting this one up for reading.

• 3 weeks later...

'The Welsh Girl' by Peter Ho Davies

Set in Wales 1944, WW11. After struggling a bit to pick up this storyline, once a third of the way in I was enjoying it more. A Jewish refugee, Captain Rotheram, working for British Intelligence, sent to help with the intterogation of Rudolf Hess. Karsten, a POW who ends up in the local POW camp. Esther Evans, the local girl.

My Review

' The Outcast' by Sadie Jones

I think I enjoyed this one although parts of it I found a bit distressing

(the self harming)

although understand why it was part of the book. Thanks for doing this a bookring Kate.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed 'The Outcast' too Inver,

the self harming was upsetting but being a self harmer myself, Sadie Jones did a great job of exploring it, reasons, the feelings, etc

• 2 weeks later...

'The Friday Night Knitting Club' by Kate Jacobs

Simple enough story of a single mum who sets up and runs her own Wool Shop in New York. As the name suggests a knitting club is started. The usual mixture of characters attend with their own tales to tell etc.

• 3 weeks later...

'When the Heart Cries' by Cindy Woodsmall

Joined a bookring via Bookcrossing for this one. Well written story about Hannah and her life within the Amish community. A traumatic encounter with a complet stranger one night changes her life and those around her within her family and friends. Coming to terms with what happened to her makes for a major decision about how her life must go on, but she has to sacrifice the love of her beloved Paul. This is the first in a trilogy.

• 1 month later...

'When the Morning Comes' by Cindy Woodsmall

Joined a bookring via Bookcrossing for this one. Well written story about Hannah and her life within the Amish community. This is the second book and continues the story of Hannah and what happens when she moves away to make a new life without Paul. He continues to try to come to terms with life without her, but she changes her name and doesn't want to be found. However by the end of the book events have happened and she is eventually found and sent for. Can't wait to read the third book to see how it all ties together.