If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake...

Kell

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made 4 courgette cakes since sunday and given one to my mum and brought another into the office. one of the easiest recipes I have ever tried and they are yummy too a great way to use up all those courgettes from the garden.

• 3 weeks later...

I have corn muffins in the oven just now, and buttermilk biscuits waiting to go in. Just from a packet mix, but they're still good! I had to order them from a company that imports from the USA. I've used them quite a lot for these - every couple of months or so I put in an order for corn muffin and buttermilk biscuit mixes - LOL! :)

I'll be baking a chocolate cake from scratch tomorrow though, as it's Xan's 3rd birthday on Saturday and we're taking him to see Numberjacks at the theatre so I won't have a chance to make it on the Big Day itself. Still, it'll give me more time to decorate it with his name and a big number 3 while he's sleeping. :)

I'll be baking a chocolate cake from scratch tomorrow though, as it's Xan's 3rd birthday on Saturday and we're taking him to see Numberjacks at the theatre so I won't have a chance to make it on the Big Day itself. Still, it'll give me more time to decorate it with his name and a big number 3 while he's sleeping. :)

Home made birthday cakes are so much nicer than shop bought ones. One of my sisters always used to make a hedgehog cake for her son on his birthday when he was small &she still makes it for him now sometimes even though he's in his thirties but not on his birthday anymore as she's now a Jehovahs Witness :)

The cake has turned out lovely and I've decorated it ready for tomorrow:

s3rdbirthdaycake.jpg

Rich, dense chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting and chocolate frostnig piped on top. I can hardly wait to cut a slice! :)

I use the recipe I posted on my blog HERE. :)

Last time I made it, I used chocolate buttercream frosting and it was glorious. This time, however, I wanted to use vanilla so I could use chocolate for the piping. :)

I am currently in the process of making 20 mini eclairs for a party on Friday at work. so I have the choux pastry in the oven as it will keep well just taken them out of the oven and looking good. I am also doing a chocolate hazelnut chestnut meringue torte, an apricot and almond slice and chocolate chelsea buns..a litlle ambitious but it might just work if I don't get distracted by books :D

I currently have a cake busily baking away in the oven. Once it's baked I've just got to let it cool and then SMASH IT ALL UP! Ha! Bet you weren't expecting that! Gonna try my hand at making cake pops for Xan's birthday party on Sunday. :)

Cake cooling and waiting to be smooshed!

1cakecooling.jpg

Looks fantastic, how can you bring yourself to smash such loveliness :D

All my efforts last night were successfull tonight I am filling the eclairs and glazing the tops, as well as doing the chestnut and chocolate filling for the meringue torte..hopefully it won't take as long as last night to do all of this

Am lpeased to report that it tastes lovely (Xan and I each snaffled a taste just to make sure - have to make sure we 're not serving rank cake to everyone you know!). Have pulled it apart but parts are still slightly warm, so I'll leave it to finish cooling till after lunch and then start crumbling it properly...

And here's how the Great Cake Pop Project is coming along so far...

1. Take this broken cake...

2. ... and smoosh it till it's all crumbs

3. Aha! Nutella, my old friend

4. Add a generous dollop (actually a whole jar and a bit extra for good measure)

5. Mix, mix, mix

6. Chef's song springs to mind... I have 32 of these bad boys!

Now they're resting in the fridge for a little while to firm up a bit before I pop in the sticks and dip them in melted chocolate!

cakepopprojectoverview.jpg

It's proving more difficult than I expected. I managed to make my chocolate seize and had to throw it out, so I need to get some more chocolate to melt (and be a bit more careful this time!). hoever, the sticks are mow in the cake balls (anchored with a little melted chocolate from before it seized) and I can only hope they stay in! They're ni the fridge to let the chocolate fixing set. I think I'll leave the dipping till after tea now...

I have been baking like mad but I am finally all done for the party tommorow. Images below not the greatest quality they look better in real life lets hope they taste as goo, fingers crossed.

Almond and Apricot tart

Apricotandalmondcake.jpg?t=1317930425

Chocolate Eclairs

eclairs.jpg?t=1317930500

Plus

Chocolate Chelse Buns

Chelseabuns2.jpg?t=1317930305

Hazelnut mernigue with chestnut and chocolate filling

Hazelnutmeringuetorte-1.jpg?t=1317929299

I am exhausted but happy :D