If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake...

Kell

Those melting moments sound tasty, Kell! I'd never heard that name for a cookie before. Casting sugar is white or granulated sugar, right? I've not heard the term casting before :irked:.

Thanks for the link to that site, Bethany! I also visit allrecipes.com, and they have baking and regular cooking recipes. The thing I like about that site is that people can comment on all the recipes and give suggestions about how to tweak them to make them better. I found my excellent hummus recipe on that site! :D

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANANA AND COCONUT COOKIES (MAKES 18)

100g (4oz) margarine

75g (3oz) soft light brown sugar

1 tbsp golden syrup

100g (4oz) self raising flour

1 medium banana, mashed

75g (3 oz) desiccated coconut

Extra coconut for sprinkling

Heat oven to 180

T

Thanks for the link to that site, Bethany! I also visit allrecipes.com, and they have baking and regular cooking recipes. The thing I like about that site is that people can comment on all the recipes and give suggestions about how to tweak them to make them better. I found my excellent hummus recipe on that site! :D

Ooh I like that site, too.. I've been on there quite a bit! They have some yummy things listed there :irked:

I made the most delicious frui tea loaf this afternoon. Am chuffed to ribbons with how it turned out. Just had a slice with a cup of tea (after putting Xander down for a nap) and it sent my tastebuds to heaven and back! This is the best bake I've done so far and I might even make this instead of a Xmas cake!

If you want the recipe and to see a picture of how it looks, it's on my blog HERE.

And yesterday, I made some feta mini scones which went beautifully with the chicken soup made for lunch today. They're HERE.

Edited by Kell

Made some lovely shortbread biccies the other day (which have gone down a storm!), and today I'm making chocolate biscuits - yummy! They're busy baking right now... :D

The chocolate biscuits got snaffled up double-quick, so I guess they were pretty good - LOL!

I'm baking almond cookies right now. My kitchen (and the rest of the house too, actually!) smells like it's straight from heaven!

I made this yesterday - it was rather nice (if I say so myself) - very moist and dead simple.

APPLE CAKE

Serves 6.

110g/4ozs butter or soft margarine

110g/4ozs caster sugar

175g/6ozs self-raising flour

175g/6ozs peeled chopped Bramley apples

2 medium eggs

Grease and line a 20cm/8inch cake tin and preheat oven to 180

I ave a meat and potato pie in the oven at the moment. I made a Quiche the other day and the filling (spinach and feta) was gorgeous, but the shortcrust pastry (plain flour, marg, veg lard and water with a pinch of salt and some herbs) left a lot to be desired, so for the pastry on my pie I've changed the ingredients slightly (sr flour, veg lard, milk, pinch of salt) in the hopes of improvement. I also wrapped the pastry in cling film and bunged it in the fridge for a good half hour before rolling it out and brushed some milk on the pie crust. Fingers crossed!

I also made some melting moments the other day that went down a storm with everyone. :welcome2:

• 3 weeks later...

This thread making me hungry :D Just taken an Apple Streusel cake (more precisely Apfel Streusel Kuchen)from the oven and it does look rather yummy. I'm a keen baker and cake decorator, but my pastry is a bit hit and miss. Yeast baking is my favourite - going to make a stollen for Christmas.

Edited by sirinrob

• 1 year later...

Haven't baked anything in ages, but have been inspired by River Cottage Everyday - the River Cottage series are some of my favourite ever television programmes - and thought I'd resurrect this thread to show off my return to baking yesterday afternoon ... Apple and Almond cake!

cake2.jpg

Edited by chesilbeach

Oooh!!! Apple & almond cake sounds & looks delicious I can almost smell it through the screen :D

I bought myself Nigella's new book Kitchen a few weeks back & today I made the Treacle slice recipe from it & we had it for dessert with lashings of custard.

• 7 months later...

Last weekend I made my very first cinnamon rolls. Oh my, what a mess :giggle: The filling oozed out everywhere while rolling and then slicing the dough. They are perfectly delicious though and I had lots and lots of rolls left to freeze. I used an recipe by the Pioneer Woman that I found olnine but switched the icing with a more simple one.

• 4 weeks later...

I baked my first every blueberry muffins yesterday (actually, my first ever anything - I've never baked before :blush: ), and they were delicious!! I can't believe how easy it was, and will definitely be doing it again - maybe different flavors. :boogie: Baking is one of those things I've always dismissed as too hard, but I'm feeling a bit more confident now. :D

My bf's mom's birthday was on saturday and I braught a selfmade so called "Donauwelle" cake. That's normal cake dough, then chocolate cake dough, then a layer of cherries and after baking buttercream on top and to finisch a layer of chocolate. :D

I#m so glad everybody loved it and bf's brother even asked me if I would do this professionally :giggle2: (I'm a library assistant though)

• 2 weeks later...

My bf's mom's birthday was on saturday and I braught a selfmade so called "Donauwelle" cake. That's normal cake dough, then chocolate cake dough, then a layer of cherries and after baking buttercream on top and to finisch a layer of chocolate. :D

I#m so glad everybody loved it and bf's brother even asked me if I would do this professionally :giggle2: (I'm a library assistant though)

Ok I've looked it up on Google images and now I can visualise it ... wow! It looks quite complicated though, well done for obviously making a great job of it (when are you going to start your own bakery? :D)

:lol: I've thought about opening my own bakery so many times, something in the style of Magnolia or Hummingbird Bakery, but it's just to difficult and expensive to realize and maintain. Ah yeah, and there's the thing that I'm not a pastry chef or anything alike (so it's always a bit like gambling, if the cake turns out well). But it's always nice to be complemented on the things I bake and I get al giddy and am not able to wipe the grin of my face :lol:

I got a cheesecake recipe off a friend at work, tried it and it was disgusting. It was so bitter it wound up in the bin. We were trying to work out what was wrong with it, and whether I had used the right ingredients. I had to zest 2 lemons and 2 limes. She asked if I just used the outside of the lemons/limes - the coloured bits. But no, never having zested (or really baked) anything before, I'd grated everything - the skin and the white pith and put all that into the cake. No wonder it was gross! :blush::doh:

At least I've had success with blueberry and banana muffins. :giggle: