Sign in to follow this  
maddydog

Very Long Shot

I can vaguely remember reading a children's book at school when I was around 10, so 1980ish. I don't remember finishing it and it's really bugging me!!

I seem to remember the lead character was a young teenage girl. Timeline I'm thinking around the Dark ages or maybe even Iron Age, I can recall references to honey and mead production. The community the girl lived with were largely confined to the village due to a threat (wraithes?) in the wilderness. The only other thing I can recall is a giant (possibly female) buried underground though the outline visible as hills.

Trigger any memories?

Thanks!

The only other thing I can recall is a giant (possibly female) buried underground though the outline visible as hills.

That bit sounds very familiar, but I'm sorry, I can't name the book. I'll have a think. :blush:

Could it be 'The Giant Under The Snow' by John Gordon??

Thanks Susanne!! Once I read some of the character names on Amazon it all came flooding back. I wish I had found this forum sooner :blush:

Now to get a copy!

Come back and tell about your re read of the story maddydog. It sounds like a book a number of us on here would enjoy. :blush:

Thanks Susanne!! Once I read some of the character names on Amazon it all came flooding back. I wish I had found this forum sooner :blush:

Now to get a copy!

Wohooo, glad you found what you were looking for. Hope you enjoy re-reading it :D