Regional Reading Challenge...?

Kell

I saw this posted on our website this morning & wondered if there was anything similar happening in other areas up & down the country? Or in other countries? It just sounds to me like such a nice idea...

Pupils invited to make a splash in Summer Reading Challenge

Pupils across Aberdeenshire are being encouraged to “Dive into a Good Book” in the 2006 Reading Challenge, being launched by Aberdeenshire Library and Information Service (ALIS) and Aberdeenshire Swimming Pools, at Fyvie Primary School today (Tue, Jun 13).

The initiative is designed to encourage young people to immerse themselves in reading throughout the summer holidays, rewarding them with a free swim when they have completed the challenge. It is hoped that those taking part will find hidden treasures in books and learn to enjoy reading as a pastime.

The reading challenge is supported by local oil and gas company TOTAL E&P UK and Aberdeenshire Swimming Pools, and is being run by 42 libraries in Aberdeenshire this year. There are four distinct age categories: 5 and under; 6-8; 9-11 and 12-16. Last year, 3,341 pupils took part in the challenge.

To complete the reading challenge, pupils must read six books by August 26 this year, and record their progress on a special card. When they complete their card, participants can choose a gift from their local library.

Pupils can review their favourite book once they have completed the challenge and prizes will be awarded for the best ones.

In addition, a competition to design a picture for a 2007 calendar is open to all pupils, whether or not they take part in the challenge. Winners from each age group will receive a book and cinema voucher. The overall winner will have their design made into a calendar, a copy of which will be available insent to every Aberdeenshire library, school and swimming pool. The winner will and also receive a framed print of their design.

Libraries and Heritage Manager Gerald Moore said: “This year’s unique partnership with TOTAL E&P UK and Aberdeenshire swimming pools is building on the great success of last year’s Summer Reading Challenge. We are all confident that young people will find this an attractive way to develop a reading habit.”

Andrew Hogg, Public Affairs and Corporate Communication manager for TOTAL E&P UK, said: “This year’s reading challenge encourages children to develop their reading skills throughout the summer period and compliments the intellectual activity with a physical activity reward – a free swim.

“As a company, we believe in emphasising the importance of balanced interests.”

Full details of the reading challenge and the prizes on offer are available through schools or from libraries.

Bath & North East Somerset are doing something similar.

What is the Reading Mission?

* A reading challenge for children during the school holidays.

* A fun way to keep track of the books you read this summer.

* A way of earning reading rewards.

* A great way to talk about books with your friends.

What do I need to do?

* Fill in a registration card.

* Tell us about the books you read during the summer.

* Get your Reading Mission Pack

* Complete the puzzles and put your "Read it!" stickers on your Mission Pack

* Check out the website from 1st July

* http://www.readingmission.org

What's in it for me?

* Have fun!

* Collect your rewards.

* Find lots of great books to read.

* Get a certificate to show you completed the Mission.

* Get your medal

What's next?

* Ask some in the library if you need more details.

* Get started on Saturday 15th July.

* Finish by Saturday 16th September.

* Tell your friends to join too.

More information for parents & teachers...

Encouraging children to keep reading over the Summer holidays improves their reading ability & concentration.

The children

We had similar around here last summer, so I'm sure they'll do something again.

At the moment, there's a little scheme going on for toddlers and up, called 'The Book Crawl'.. for every 4 books you take out on their card, they get a really nice little poster.

Guest Anonymous
wondered if there was anything similar happening in other areas up & down the country?

The 'Dive Into A Good Book' initiative is in place in Surrey. It's part of an plan to get Britain reading, on behalf of the Literacy Trust.

The Reading Mission Bagpuss refers to is the National Summer Reading Game organised by The Reading Agency (http://www.readingagency.org.uk/). Something like 90% of library services across England and Wales sign up for it.

The Reading Agency produce all the publicity material and the awards to give to the children (for a cost, of course!).

The government have recently set targets for % of population taking part and stuff, and these count towards your councils achievement stats.

I will mostly be spending July in school assemblies encouraging the children to come along and take part. I also have to up the number of children in my area who actually manage to finish this year. not sure how though.....

I think it's a good idea, although I'm not sure we'll sign up for it as August tends to be a bit busy!

We are running it from 15th July through till 9th September, so it's not just August.

Go oooon, take part!!!

Yup - it was the Reading Voyage last year (I took a suitcase into my assemblies and got the kids to help me pack it!), the Reading Rollercoaster the year before (we all pretended we were on a rollercoaster!), and before that in no particular order we have had the Reading Maze, the Reading Planet, and the Reading Carnival. There have been more but they were before my time!

The stuff to collect is quite exciting this year - instead of just having 6 sheets of stickers, there are some puzzle things, and it's a secret agent pack rather than a sticker folder!

There will still be a medal too!

For a bit of sneak preview stuff, have a look at the website - http://www.readingmission.co.uk/. There is an image of the promo characters.