A Brighton Flirtation by Valerie King

Kate

a-brighton-flirtation.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

Headstrong and independent Katherine Pamberley finds herself drawn despite herself to Captain Evan Ramsdell, a gentleman with old-fashioned ideas about women, but their growing feelings for each other must take a back seat when they stumble upon rumors of a plot to assassinate the Prince Regent.

This is your typical Regency novel. The star is Katharine Pamberley - an independent women who has recently moved from Berkshire, and her home's stables, to Brighton, to become part of the Prince Regent's close knit group of friends. Whilst in Sussex she starts to fall for Evan Ramsdell - or does she? As the story unravels we see them examining their feelings and friendship. Alongside this, there is the plot to assassinate the Prince Regent, which Ramsdell is investigating.

There was nothing spectacular about this book. It was an average read - maybe even a little dull. The "do I love him?", "do I love her?" got old quickly. The exciting bits were the attempted assassinations. Aside from that, the book was unimpressive. I wonder if I would have bothered finishing this book had I not had too. Really it is fair to say that King's writing technique was not spectacular and her characters were not particularly original.

There was one thing that really bugged me though: when writing about the Regent's resident King refers to the Marine Pavilion, but when describing the building she describes the Royal Pavilion - the two buildings are in fact not the same thing. The Marine Pavilion was built before the Royal Pavilion, and then subsequently replaced by the Royal Pavilion - which is the building still standing today in Brighton. I feel that if you are going to write a historical novel, it should really be accurate.

Overall, besides my big complaint there is not an awful lot to say about this book. It really isn't that good in my opinion.

4/10