Mac Reads (started 2009)

Mac, I loved your review for The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I felt exactly as you did when I finished reading it; just wish I had been in the same setting.

Also, I'm so glad I stumbled upon your review of Her Fearful Symmetry. I've been hesitant to read it because of the many mixed reviews I’ve seen, but I'm definitely going to give it a try now. Thanks! =)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vlad by C C Humphreys

Trust nothing that you've heard...Dracula. A name of horror, depravity and darkest sensuality.Yet the real Dracula was just as alluring, just as terrifying, his story not of a monster but of a man...and a contradiction. For the one they called 'The Devil's Son' was both tyrant and lawgiver, crusader and mass slaughterer, torturer and hero, lover and murderer.

Vlad's extraordinary tale is told by those who knew him best. The only woman he ever loved and whom he has to sacrifice. His closest comrade and traitor. And his priest, betraying the secrets of the confessional to reveal the mind of the man history would forever remember as Tepes - 'The Impaler'

Thanks to Nollaig for steering me onto this book. It grabs ones attention from the outset, drawing one into the 15th Century with all the sounds and sights almost visceral, almost physically transporting one there. The character of Vlad - indeed, Vlad's closest comrades and 'friends' - are interesting in that, despite the terrible deeds they perpetrate, as the reader I can't help but...erm...empathise with them somewhat. Should this worry me? Vlad has qualities I search for in my favourite characters in novels. He's loyal, honourable, strong minded and a pragmatist. He's determined, noble and fearless. Is this a man I would have loyally followed into battle were I of this time? The thought chills me a little, but it's a possibility...lurker.gif

Vlad himself commits some disturbingly gruesome acts throughout the book, and orders many others, but Humphreys' skills are such that it doesn't seem gratuitous (although they are disturbing). The writing is fast-paced, a little idiosyncratic, which I enjoyed, and accessible. The chapters jump from major incident to major incident, sometimes missing out huge chunks of the years passing, but this does not affect the novel negatively in any way. In fact, out of necessity, this ramps up the pace of the novel.

I can find nothing wrong with this novel at all. I loved it. It's up there with my favourite books now (along with The Historian, funnily enough). Thank you, Noll!

10/10

See, Vlad's totally a likeable guy, right?! It's unsettling, but it's true! I'm delighted you liked it so much :friends0:

Would you mind posting that review in the book's thread in Historical Fiction too? It's just that when I was doing the interview with the author he expressed interest in reading people's thoughts on the books, so I gave him a link to that thread. I don't know whether he will/does check it, but it'd be nice to have everyone's thoughts there if he does. :D

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Having risen at 5.30am this morning purely to finish the book before I left for my week away must surely convince anyone of how much this novel drew me in. I've not read any reviews of this as yet, but can believe that many may well be negative. This has to be snobbishness on the part of the critic, however. Yes, there are small sections of the novel which are clearly self-indulgence on King's part; yes, there are moments of the gratuitous macabre; yes, some of the characters are cliché's but isn't this part of King's style? He's getting on a bit now, I'd guess, and has written and sold enough to earn the right to be a little self-indulgent. We know he can be gratuitous at times - if we don't like it, we don't continue to buy his books. And his odd clichéd characters? If he didn't have these in his novels, would we care for them as deeply or dislike them as intensely?

The book is a hefty one. Not has huge as The Stand but it puts up a good fight for the title. I enjoyed the large cast list, although sometimes I felt like whipping forward so I could follow how the protagonist was fairing rather than go back to another thread of the story - but perseverance pays off in the end. I enjoyed the structure of the novel, set over the course of just over a week, and the way he divides it up into shortish, manageable chapters and sub-chapters. These make the long, film-like chapters capturing an overview of the action throughout the town more powerful, when King acknowledges the reader and flies through the goings-on - a tool he uses in other novels, keeping the reader wrapped in the events. He's a clever chap. How's that for an understatement?!? What I mean is that here is a man who knows how to keep his fans happy. Even those like me who have gone off the boil with him these last few years. I enjoyed his nod to Lee Child as well, in whom he has a fan. It came at a funny point where I had been thinking of Child's character Jack Reacher when, all of a sudden, one of the main players mentions him. When two worlds collide, eh?

I'm sure there will be some who disagree with me vociferously, but I'd suggest that with King, you get what you pay for. You know what you're going to get. If you've enjoyed his novels before, then you will enjoy this one. I really did. If you have never enjoyed King, then this isn't going to convert you. Why would it?

And the end is fine. Don't believe the miseries. wink.gif

9/10

Ditto Mac, fantastic review! :D I might even pick up this King now that's new for a change instead of something from the 80's.

Are you taking Giotto with you on your journey? If not I'm sure that he, Jonathan and Flavia will be waiting for you upon your return ;).

Thanks for that review, Mac; I had had a few years of not reading much King after loving all his earlier work, but had enjoyed Duma Key and was really looking forward to reading Under The Dome. The generally unfavourable comments (particularly, as you point out, about the ending) had put me off and I haven't bought it yet - but thanks to your review it will be on my next Amazon order! :)

Giotto's Hand by Iain Pears

General Bottando of Rome's Art Theft Squad is in trouble: his theory that a single master criminal, dubbed 'Giotto', is behind a string of major thefts has aroused the scoun of his arch enemy and rival, the bureaucrat Corrado Argan. He needs a result, and the confession of a dying woman may just provide the vital clue.

In pursuit of the elusive Giotto, Bottando's colleague, Flavia di Stefano, sets off hotfoot for Florence, and English art dealer Jonathan Argyll is dispatched to London and then on to rural Norfolk...only to discover a body and a mystery which could lead him to the greatest art find of his career.

This is very different from An Instance of the Fingerpost, the first novel I read by Pears. I enjoyed that so much that, when I discovered through Marcia that he'd written a whole bunch of stuff, I actively sought them out. This does not disappoint. The writing is fluid, fun and witty, with characters coming to life within the pages. There's an air of sophistication about the novel, not purely because of the higher-brow subject matter, but because Pears doesn't dumb his style down. Saying that, he makes his subject matter accessible and interesting and his antagonists very human.

Pears, it would seem, is a great author. Versatile, bright and accessible, I look forward to reading many more.

9/10

Awww, yay, you liked it!! :boogie: So glad, Mac! Pears' art mystery series is very different from his other works of fiction, but in a good way! It's not complicated writing, but simple and lovely because of his excellent writing skills. I love the interaction between Flavia and Jonathan, and you are exactly right, it's so fun and witty. Believe me, the rest of the series is full of that stuff :D.

• 4 weeks later...

Nemesis by Jo Nesbo

I finished this book a few days ago and just haven't had time to get on here and write about it. Nevertheless, it's a cracking good novel - I just wish I had read his earlier ones first. Thanks to the BCF, however, I know what I need to do.

I've talked about how I enjoy the Scandinavian authors I've stumbled across and Nesbo certainly fits into this trend. I really liked the character Harry, and was a little unsure of why he seemed to be so unpopular with his colleagues (although his colleagues, for the most part, are pretty unpleasant) and enjoyed his interaction with the key players throughout the book. The plot was well paced and kept me interested, and the ending was satisfying, yet with enough loose ends to keep me wanting more.

I liked it and will be purchasing more of Nesbo's novels.

9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay

Everything's changing for our friendly neighbourhood serial killer. As if getting married wasn't enough to complete his nice-guy persona, Dex is now the proud father of a baby girl. And disconcertingly, he actually seems to care. But even if fatherhood is distracting Dexter from his midnight excursions to rid Miami of a few more lowlifes, there's no let-up at work. Two young girls are missing - and it's not long before one of the bodies turns up, partially eaten. But as Dexter and Miami PD's finest investigate, Dex can't shake the feeling that somebody's watching him...At home, there's no rest for the wicked. His stepchildren are clamouring to learn how to control their bloodlust and Dexter must train up his young apprentices. But to do that, he'll have to find the missing girl, find out who's tailing him and survive a dark journey into a underground community who really have a taste for death.

Another enjoyable novel from Jeff Lindsay, with our lovable serial killer in a reasonably restrained mood since the arrival of his new-born daughter. I found the plot a little distasteful, if you'll excuse the pun, but there wasn't too much gratuitous grimness this time and all through the book I remained firmly in Camp Dexter. I'm really enjoying the growth of the characters, their personal development, watching Dexter's view of the world change. What's somewhat disturbing is that I think that I would be friends with him - what's all that about? What on earth does that say about me?!? I mean, I don't agree with his sense of justice, but I don't feel any kind of empathy for his victims...(maybe I need to see a psychiatrist or something)huh.gif

Anyway. Hugely enjoyable. If you've not read any of the Dexter books before, start at the beginning and watch him grow. It's brilliant stuff, if you like crime fiction.

9/10

Nemesis by Jo Nesbo

I finished this book a few days ago and just haven't had time to get on here and write about it. Nevertheless, it's a cracking good novel - I just wish I had read his earlier ones first. Thanks to the BCF, however, I know what I need to do.

I've talked about how I enjoy the Scandinavian authors I've stumbled across and Nesbo certainly fits into this trend. I really liked the character Harry, and was a little unsure of why he seemed to be so unpopular with his colleagues (although his colleagues, for the most part, are pretty unpleasant) and enjoyed his interaction with the key players throughout the book. The plot was well paced and kept me interested, and the ending was satisfying, yet with enough loose ends to keep me wanting more.

I liked it and will be purchasing more of Nesbo's novels.

9/10

Glad to hear it was good! I picked up The Snowman last week after hearing that this guy is really good, so I'm looking forward to starting it :)

Worth Dying For by Lee Child

This is a beltingly good read, as usual. There's only been one of Child's novels that I haven't been entirely hooked by. Once again, I've been drawn into the macho world of Jack Reacher and enjoyed every minute I've spent there. Totally unlike me, really, but there you go.

Reacher lands in a Nebraskan township and, quite by accident, gets embroiled in the nasty local politics and saves the day, as usual.

Guys, if you like these books, you'll love this one!

9/10

I'm reading Jo Nesbo's The Snowman atm and it's a great read, although I did look around and it seems the first two books in the Harry Hole series haven't been translated but all the later ones have, which is a bit baffling! I'm definitely going to have to get Nemesis now too! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks

Lededje Y'breq is one of the Intagliated, her marked body bearing witness to a family shame, her life belonging to a man whose lust for power is without limit. Prepared to risk everything for her freedom, her release - when it comes - is at a price, and to put things right she will need the help of the Culture.

Benevolent, enlightened and almost infinitely resourceful though it may be, the Culture can only do so much for any individual. With the assistance of one of its most powerful - and arguably deranged - warships, Lededje finds herself heading into a combat zone not even sure which side the Culture is really on. A war - brutal, far-reaching - is already raging within the digital realms that store the souls of the dead, and it's about to erupt into reality.

It started in the realm of the Real and that is where it will end. It will touch countless lives and affect entire civilisations, but at the centre of it all is a young woman whose need for revenge masks another motive altogether.

This was a brilliant novel. Brilliant. I am not a fan of Sci-Fi, it has to be said, but I make a rare exception with Banks' work. He writes intelligently, with wit, black humour and an extraordinary imagination. The plot seamlessly moves between multiple characters and environments without confusing the reader (me) and makes you care about the characters. I eagerly await Banks' novels, both contemporary and space opera and was so unbelievably excited when I spotted this in Waterstone's in Kendal.

I particularly love the AI Minds he creates - the ship personalities, the hubs of the orbitals - because he clearly has so much fun in creating the caricatures involved. But, more than this, I love the ethical questions that so many of his books raise. For example, the creation of thousands of different 'Hells' in the virtual realm, where those judged as having lived a bad life have their personalities and souls transferred upon their death. Is this a good thing? This will, I am quite sure, sound ridiculous to many but I loved this book and actually experienced goosepimples reading - once again - the very last line of the book. Iain Banks rocks! This book gets, without a doubt...

10/10 Abso-bloomin'-lutely Brilliant. cool.gif

Great review Mac, I have read 'The Wasp Factory' and 'The Crow Road' under his other name (Iain Banks, not a big old difference) but I have not got around to reading any of his sci~fi books, 'Surface Details' sounds a great read and definitely a title to look out for, thanks for that Mac :)

Nice one, Mac. I haven't read anywhere near all of Iain M. Banks's novels but I totally agree that he rocks. I've read Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, Feersum Endjinn and Against A Dark Background and loved all of them :)

I know you're not particularly a fan of sf but, just out of interest, have you tried any of Peter F. Hamilton's books?

• 3 weeks later...

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami

This, believe it or not, was a bit of a struggle for me to complete. My mojo's not been all that good of late, so this might have something to do with it, but I also feel that I couldn't quite connect as well with this one as I have with the others. Each chapter alternates between Hard-Boiled Wonderland and, you've guessed it, the End of the World. I liked this, because the two stories wove together nicely and kept me from putting the book back on my shelf for further attention when I'm back on my game.

As far as Murakami goes, this is slightly more off-kilter than his others (if this is possible!) and I enjoyed the themes running through the entire novel. There is still that familiar clinical feel to it, that somewhat detached quality that makes one feel an observer. He really is a most skilled, poetic author. It's not, however, one I would recommend to someone who wasn't very comfortable with his style and wanted to see what the hoo-hah was all about.

I've been recommended The Passage by Justin Cronin, so I'll embark upon this tome and see how this attracts my mojo. I need to get it workin'. irked.gif

7/10 - a bit of a low one for ol' HM...huh.gif

Hi Mac, interesting review of 'Hard Boiled Wonderland...', I have a copy but I have still to read it, by the sounds of it, definitely one for the fans, I hope you enjoy 'The Passage' :)