'Back on Blossom street' Debbie Macomber

K1nS

Thanks for the review - these sound like a good series of books, the sort of thing I like to read on holiday. Desperately trying not to add any more to my TBR pile at the moment, but if I get through enough this spring, I might add these to my holiday reading list.

Looking forward to reading it.

http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.cfm

Love her website too.

Actually her books kind of remind me of 'Elm Creek' series, whick started with the Quilters Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini. They are all based around quilting.

I'm sure you would love them too.

http://www.elmcreek.net/

I ordered the first 6 books in the series from Amazon (two books, each with three books in) as I struggled to get them in local libraries and bookstores (without having to order them and pay over the odds for them). I have since seen the odd one poppping up in the library though.

I ordered the first 6 books in the series from Amazon (two books, each with three books in) as I struggled to get them in local libraries and bookstores (without having to order them and pay over the odds for them). I have since seen the odd one poppping up in the library though.

Is this the 'Elm Creek' series your on about? :blush:

I was lucky enough to have 6 (Elm Creek) sent to me from a very generous bookcrosser in the USA. In fact talking about them is putting me in the mood to read one now :blush:

I was lucky enough to have 6 (Elm Creek) sent to me from a very generous bookcrosser in the USA. In fact talking about them is putting me in the mood to read one now :)

Aww thats very nice of them... I think I will see if I can order these from my local library seeing as so many people seem to like them... go Inver and get your book out :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

This is my review:

back-on-blossom-street.jpg

Synopsis:

There's a new shop on Seattle's Blossom Street-- a flower store called Susannah's Garden, right next door to A Good Yarn. Susannah Nelson, the owner, has just hired a young widow named Colette Blake. A couple of months earlier, Colette had abruptly quit her previous job-- after a brief affair with her boss. To her dismay, he's suddenly begun placing weekly orders for flower arrangements Susannah and Colette both join Lydia Goetz's new knitting class. Lydia's previous classes have forged lasting friendships, and this one is no exception. But Lydia and her sister, Margaret, have worries of their own. Margaret's daughter, Julia, has been the victim of a random carjacking, and the entire family is thrown into emotional chaos. Then there's Alix Townsend. Her wedding to Jordan Turner is only months away-- but she's not sure she can go through with it. Her love for Jordan isn't in question; what she can't handle is the whole wedding extravaganza engineered by her mentor, Jacqueline, with the enthusiastic cooperation of her future mother-in-law. A reception at the country club and hundreds of guests she's never even met-- it's just not Alix. Like everyone else in Lydia's knitting class, Alix knows there's a solution to every problem... and that another woman can usually help you find it.

This is the third book in the Blossom Street series by Debbie Macomber. However, I read this is a stand-alone book and really enjoyed it. It did not effect the book at all that I had not read the first two books. I will now be reading them though :-)

The story follows Lydia, Alix and Colette through family traumas, pregnancy, love and knitting. I found the story similar to The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs in places, yet this did not negatively affect the story. It was very different in places too - such as the wedding and the carjacking. Cancer and people trafficing add a unique depth to the book too.

My favourite character was Aunt Elizabeth. She was warm and intuiative. She loved her family and did all she could to keep them safe. She was instantly likable and friendly. A similar character was Grandma Turner. Both were old, wise women who you just fell in love with.

I enjoyed the whole book. Although a fairly predictible ending I was gripped and was longing for a happy ending. I will be interested in reading the first books and the fourth books.

9/10

• 1 month later...

As the previous two books in this series I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I found some of it a bit predictable by the time I got to the last few chapters. However, it didn't spoil anything. The characaters were likeable although. I loved Jordan's grandma. Margaret did annoy me at times (but given the circumstances understandable why). Thanks for putting this available as a bookring for us all to enjoy.

Would quite like to read the next one now 'Twenty Wishes', see that is based around the bookshop on Blossom Street.