Songs of Blue and Gold by Deborah Lawrenson

JoannaM

Has anyone else read this novel by Deborah Lawrenson? She's an author I didn't know before, but I read this in 24 hours, could hardly put it down.

It's set on Corfu, and about a woman who is trying to solve the mystery of her late mother's relationship with a famous author - a fictionalised version of Lawrence Durrell. Well, it's unexpectedly gripping and the writing is so full of warmth and colour that I almost forgot I was reading it under grim grey skies here!

There's lots to it, as well. The idea of biography and how it can be inaccurate - especially as we may not even know the people closest to us as well as we think. Loved it.

• 3 years later...

Great review! I've just finished reading 'Songs of Blue and Gold'. I enjoyed it, but having previously read Deborah Lawrenson's latest novel' The Lantern', I felt disappointed.

The book is well written, but I didn't feel that the writing was as complex and magical as 'The Lantern'. I also felt that the characters both in the past and present were not as equally formed or as strong as they could have been. I found the character in the present Melissa was a little weak and a bit of a drip to be honest, whereas her mother was much more interesting.

This would make a great summer read, but I much prefer 'The Lantern'.