How long before a paperback is released?

Yes, some authors go straight to paperback (like me).

The big authors tend to have their own 'slot' in their publisher's year - ie Sophie Kinsella is January, I think, and I guess her new hardback and paperback will come out at the same time. (I could be wrong, though!)

I think how quickly the paperback comes out depends partly on how many hardback copies a publisher thinks they can sell - so the bigger the author, the longer the gap between h/b and p/b.

Hope that makes sense. Have only had half a cup of tea so far this morning...

This is an interesting thread. I'd always assumed there was a format on the timescale of hardbacks being followed by paperbacks. Does beg the question in these environmentally friendly times:

Are hardbacks necessary anymore?

Would you really want to pay hardback prices for a paperback, assuming that publishers would still want an initial smaller 'test run' of a book before mass producing it?

Yep, I agree on that hardback point. The downside is that if you ever have to move, hardbacks are a darn sight heavier to carry!! :lol:

My point really was that in this day and age of everything being smaller, lighter, more user friendly, surely the hardback has had its day. I mean, aren't the publishers able to just do a small release paperback these days to guage reaction?

My point really was that in this day and age of everything being smaller, lighter, more user friendly, surely the hardback has had its day. I mean, aren't the publishers able to just do a small release paperback these days to guage reaction?

But it would cost them more to produce so they'd still be more expensive than the mass run paperback. At least with a hardback you get more for your money.