The Outcast by Sadie Jones

Janet

"]The Outcast by Sadie Jones

The 'Blurb' [from Fantasticfiction.co.uk]

It's 1957 and Lewis Aldridge is travelling back to his home in the South of England. He is straight out of jail and nineteen years old. His return will trigger the implosion not just of his family, but of a whole community.

A decade earlier, his father's homecoming casts a different shape. The war is over and Gilbert reverts easily to suburban life - cocktails at six-thirty, church on Sundays - but his wife and young son resist the stuffy routine. Lewis and his mother escape to the woods for picnics, just as they did in wartime days. Nobody is surprised that Gilbert's wife counters convention, but they are all shocked when, after one of their jaunts, Lewis comes back without her.

Not far away, Kit Carmichael keeps watch. She has always understood more than most, not least from what she is dealt by her own father's hand. Lewis's grief and burgeoning rage are all too plain, and Kit makes a private vow to help. But in her attempts to set them both free, she fails to predict the painful and horrifying secrets that must first be forced into the open.

Whatever you think about Richard and Judy (and personally I don't watch them - I always plan to watch the book reviews on Wednesdays but the timeslot is a bad one with children so I never quite get round to it) - they've picked some good books in their Bookclub, and The Outcast is another very enjoyable read.

I think you might like this if you liked The House at Riverton by Kate Morton - it has that feel about it, although it's maybe not quite so good.

Someone on Amazon described this as like watching a car crash unfold in slow-motion, and I think that sums it up rather accurately. It feels a bit long-winded in places, and yet I read it really quickly (for me) and overall thought it was very enjoyable - especially as it's her début novel. I shall certainly look forward to her future books.

The paperback is 441 pages long and is published by Vintage Books. The ISBN number is 978-0099513421.

7½/10

(Read June 2008)

Think this is the one I thought I might read out of all the choices this year. But I can't possible add anymore to my TBR pile....it will fall over ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this was a fantastic book - so elegantly written and almost painful to read at times. Brilliant first novel - really vivid characters and I thought the tension held up all the way through. I was desperate for there to be a happy ending for Lewis and Kit!

• 2 weeks later...

A stonking good read. Up very late finishing but I just couldn't go to sleep.

Poor old Lewis, completely misunderstood after his mother drowned. I kept thinking about my OH, his mother died unexpectedly when he was 14 and his brother was 11 years and he didn't cry but just went to school the next day. So awful.

I would recommend this book :friends0:

• 3 weeks later...

I finished! :D

It was a really good read, really well written, I felt so bad for Lewis, he was so misunderstood and dramatic I know but I felt his pain over his self harming. My blood absolutely boiled at the parts with Dicky, what a poor excuse for a man!

I was on the edge of my seat at the end, I really wanted Kit and Lewis to be together, it was a lovely ending. Great book, most certainly a keeper

Me again, it is a really good read,

I think Sadie Jones put across the character of Lewis, I genuinely felt quite protective of him and I was so frustrated that no one was seeing what was wrong but that had a lot to do with the time the book is set in (the old 'stiff upper lip', etc) because there is so many things happening behind closed doors, Dicky's abuse, Dicky's wife (whose name I can not remember -sorry) tolerance of the abuse, etc.

A great read.

I'm reading this at the minute and love it. I'll be finished in a day or two - would people like me to set this up as a bookring? I'm more than happy to let others read this book

Definitely a car crash unfolding, you could see it all happening. The stultifying nature of the 1950s was so fabulously portrayed.

Did anyone else find Tamsin fairly evil as well as Dick? Could not get my head round her bringing Kit downstairs and playing with the kitten as if nothing had happened, chilling

Oh my goodness!!! I started reading the book this morning & have done nothing else. Finished at 6pm!! It has been a while since I have read a book in one sitting.... I suppose I ought to do something sensible now like catch up with some work, get something to eat, feed the parrot etc etc !! I feel oddly diconnected from life after reading for so long!

:D

I took part in the bookring for this one and I have to say I was pleasantly suprised. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting with this book but it was nothing compared to the story you get sucked into. Fantasticly vivid characters that you either loved or hated and it fits so well into the time period. Highly recommended this one, so if you haven't put your name down for it yet, nip on over and do so!