Featured Author - Linda Gillard

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linda, the problem with marketplace books is that you have to add £2.45 to each book for postage. But yes, I gree, even with that added, it can be cheaper than buying direct from amazon.

That is interesting about the libraries. Is it true that you do get a payment whenever a book is taken out.. even though it's TINY?

Have you ever thought about creating a main character and doing a series of books? Or do you prefer doing something different every time?

I would love to create a character who could sustain a series of books! This would be wonderful for a variety of reasons...

1. I miss my characters dreadfully when I've finished a book. It's a form of bereavement. (Some of them I'm still not over and don't suppose I ever will be, eg Rory and Flora Dunbar in A LIFETIME BURNING.)

2. It would halve the work in creating a new book since character creation is something that takes a lot of thinking time and emotional input.

3. Publishers and readers like series and so do tv production companies, so a book that is part of a series is probably going to be more commercial.

But I suspect it will never happen for me. (If I could manage a sequel, I'd be chuffed! ;) )

I have a suspicion series characters don't on the whole develop very much, they just get older and life happens to them. (Some pretty much stay the same like Lord Peter Wimsey, Jeeves & Wooster, Inspector Rebus.) Series books are mainly about the plot - often a formulaic plot, like a crime novel - less about the central character. My books are always about character and plot is secondary. (This is a gross generalisation I know and you might not agree, but I think it serves for the purposes of discussion.)

I think too in a book I'm trying to resolve a character's issues in a way that feels emotionally satisfying, sometimes conclusive. That doesn't lend itself even to a sequel, let alone a series.

There are exceptions to my generalisations above: Dorothy Dunnett's and Patrick O' Brian's historical novels where there are characters of such complexity and depth that they can be explored over a series of books (although it's generally thought that P O'B was spreading his material rather thin by the end. I'm currently reading no. 11 in the series and there's no sign of that yet.)

The only character of my own I've ever felt inclined to write a sequel for is Rory Dunbar in A LIFETIME BURNING. I considered it and then realised it just wouldn't work. There's no doubt in my mind that Rory would have been dead within the year after the conclusion of ALB!

Is it true that you do get a payment whenever a book is taken out.. even though it's TINY?

Yes. This is known as PLR - Public Lending Rate - and it is a major contributor to the pathetic income that most authors earn. (Average author's income is estimated by the Society of Authors to be

The library will reserve copies of books, I have just done it for A Lifetime Burning, it cost me 60p payable when I picked up the book. I also know that if there are no copies of a particular book (newish ones not out of print ones) the library will purchase it from places like Amazon ;) they did this for Hannah when a book she wanted to read wasn't available anywhere in Lancashire.

the bookrings here have lovely short queues, so they're a much better bet! ;) (And I think most are registered on bookcrossing too.)

Yes, I wasn't sure about the overlap between the 2 sites - BCF and BC. I've come across Michelle on the BC site.

To be fair to BC, I think it's probably only the queues for STAR GAZING that are loooong and that's because there aren't many copies registered yet.

Thank you, Madcow, for reserving ALB. I hope you'll think it was worth the 60p investment! :)

The best bet for the impecunious is www.bookcrossing.com There are lots of bookrings for my books but some of the queues are long. I occasionally donate books to shorten the waiting time!

I've also heard that by the time a book gets to the end of a bookring it's showing signs of wear and tear and has had to be repaired.

(But that's quite something isn't it? For your book to be read to death? :) )

And if it wasn't for Lyzzybee and her bookrings on there you wouldn't be here....lol....that is how I found you, then recommended you to Michelle.;)

I couldn't begin to estimate what I owe Lyzzybee and BookCrossing, something I always acknowledge when I speak publicly. There's a photo of some BookCrossers (incl Liz) on my website under the Credits section, and many BookCrossing reviews are quoted in my Reviews sections, alongside those from press and bookblogs.

I was honoured to be asked to speak and teach at the 10th Anniversary BC Convention in London earlier this year which was terrific fun and a wonderful opportunity to meet readers and BC friends.

Inver, I'm in the Press & Journal today! And they've spelled my surname wrong not once, but twice!

It's a nice feature apart from my name being wrong. (GILLAN instead of GILLARD.) Ho hum...

Edited by Linda Gillard

Inver, I'm in the Press & Journal today! And they've spelled my surname wrong not once, but twice!

It's a nice feature apart from my name being wrong. (GILLAN instead of GILLARD.) Ho hum...

Numpties:irked: I don't get the P&J must see if my friend still has it.

Linda, it's been an absolute pleasure having you here, thank you for your time. :) Hopefully we've gotten some more people interested in your writing.. make sure you come along and tell us about your next book when it's released.

Does anyone have any last minute, burning questions? :)