Children's Fiction

Michelle

The top number one favourite childrens book of all (with the possible exception of Winnie-the-Pooh) is Russel Hoban and Quentin Blake's How Tom Beat Captain Najork And His Hired Sportsmen.

I think it's aimed for sort of 5 to 8 yearish range, but have no idea. I first read it when I was 27 and still loved it. (And I read it to myself, as I don't have any kids to read it to).

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's difficult to beat Enid Blyton for engaging young minds in adventure - and surprisingly PC before it was fashionable. (Though maybe Aunt Fanny would have been renamed).

Roald Dahl is another good one I'd recommend - and he seems to be able to engage most ages of children from the Big Friendly Giant to Danny, Champion of the World!

Catherine learned to read very early - she was reading at 3 and reading the newspapers every day at 7. She had a reading age of 14 at 7.

This might sound great but it was a big problem. Although she was advanced in reading, she was still a 7 year old; modern books written for her age were too babyish in the language, and those with suitable language were covering themes she wasn't ready to deal with. (Jacqueline Wilson is great, but not for a 7 year old I think).

For this reason the older books by Enid Blyton, and further back by E Nesbitt and PL Travers were an absolute godsend. They didn't talk down to her and gave her stories she was interested in.

It is a shame though that you can't get contemporary books that are suitable for the brighter young child. Does anyone want to have a go at writing one?

Deb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been life-long fan of The Chronicles of Narnia - I regularly re-read them (at least once every 1 or 2 years, all of them from start to finish in order).

For younger children, there's nothing beats the magic of Winnie the Pooh & The Wind in the Willows - I have hardback copies on my bookshelf which still get lovingly read every now & then, jst to remind me.

For the 8-12 yr old bracket, I heartily recommend the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer - I have them all & adore them (they are part of the reason I didn't read the Potter books till recently - I was a hardened Fowl fan. I still am, but I'm now Potter potty too!).

For 12+ (& most adults) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is essential reading. Poignant & intriguing - it's a riveting read from the get-go.

I still regularly buy so-called childrens' books for myself (I don't have any kids myself & have no plans for them either) as they are getting better & better these days (the Potter books are testament to the fact that these books can cross the generation gap). I'v just finished reading Raven's Gate which is classed as teen-fiction & completely enjoyed it (gave it a respectable rating of 7/10). You can see what I thought of it in the reviews thread...

• 3 months later...

Hi. Ok, I'm new here. You would think that after all these years of being an avid book reader I would have found this site before now. So, on to my post. I'm not sure if this is the right place for it but seing as you are discussing childrens books I thought I would give it a shot. There is this book that I read when I was a kid, I don't remember the name. Anyway, there was this girl who moved to a new house and school. A plain Jane kind of girl who wanted to be beautiful and popular. Surprise surprise, up in her room there was a vampire that would visit her. She told him that she wanted to be beautiful so he gave her beauty. The catch was that the beauty he gave her, he took from someone else, namely the prettiest and most popular girl in school. He gave her several things over the course of the book and I think she defeated him by giving back all the gifts he had given her.

I'm not getting my hopes up that anyone here knows what I'm talking about but I am hoping (with fingers crossed) that my limited description will ring a bell or two.

It's a Point Horror story, but I can't remember the name of it. It might possibly have been Blood Sinister. On my copy, there was a picture f a mirror with a trickle of blood down it... If I remember correctly, the vampire hangs out round the hemlocks in the garden & gets in through the shutters on the tower bedroom (her rom) shutters. Is this the one you're thinking of?

You know what? I think that might just be the one. I do remember something about the shutters (which I believe she opens and paints at the end). Thank you so much Kell. I have done a search for the title "Blood Sinister" and it doesn't seem to be the one. I am however over the moon that you know what I talking about and I will now search for that book cover you described. Thanks again.

Edit: I've found it. It's called "The Return of the Vampire" by Caroline B Cooney. Thanks so much, I thought I would never find it.

• 2 weeks later...

As a child I absolutely adored 'The Worst Witch' series by Jill Murphey, I must have read them over and over and in fact I think one of my first online user names was Mildred Hubble :roll:

I also adored a ghost story I read, I can't remember what it was called, only that I loved it :wink:

Other big hits for me were; Wind In The Willows, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Famous Five, and books by Judy Blume :D

Although I have most of the Harry Potter books I have yet to read them, but I will and will also give Eoin Colfer a try, his new book looks good for a quick read :angel:

Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series is great - I adore them. I was also a Judy Blume fan - she wrote about things for kids before anyone else did, such as dealing with sexual feelings & peer pressure - she was an innovation.

Yes she was, I especially loved Forever, it certainly was the most talked about of her books when I was in school :D

Yes, I vividly remember wondering who this "Ralph" was that everyone was going on about when the main guy was called Michael - LOL!