Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon

nessiehibs

It's been many years since I read this book (we were forced to read it at school for Higher English) and I can't believe they're STILL forcing it on pupils! I hated everything about that book - the over-long sentences that sounded like lists "And this happened, and that happened, and then this, but that...blah, blah, blah!". I also couldn't stand the fact that sentences were begun with words such as "And" or "But", which is just BAD GRAMMAR and really gets my goat! To top it all off, it was just exceedingly dull. I didn't even finish it myself, but it was read aloud in class over a number of weeks and it was absolutely soul-destroying! I refused the questions on that text in the exam and chose the unseen text instead.

It's worth mentioning that my Mam sat HER higher English a few years later and hated it for all the same reasons as I. We were supposed to find it more interesting because it's set locally, bu I found it perfectly dire. One of the worst books I ever read.

On the other hand, one of the girls in my class read the entire series (A Scots Quair) for her RPR report and she enjoyed them. It takes all kinds, I suppose!