Madcow's Book List - 2008

madcow

Harvest by Tess Gerritsen was a brilliant read (IMHO), stayed up till 2am this morning just to finish it. This was one book where you had to read it in chunks rather that a chapter here and a chapter there. I couldn't leave the last few chapters I had to know how it finished :lol:.

Next up is Footprints in the sand by Sarah Challis

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Footprints In The Sand last night, a lovely book. I'd give anything to follow in their footsteps and take a journey like that. I didn't want it to end and even shed a tear or three :readingtwo:. A well deserved 9/10 from me, I'm a sucker for a story like that.

Next...

Vanish by Tess Gerritsen

A blessed event becomes a nightmare for pregnant homicide detective Jane Rizzoli when she finds herself on the wrong side of a hostage crisis.

The nameless and beautiful woman appears to be just another corpse in the morgue. But when medical examiner Maura Isles unzips the body bag and looks down at what she's been told is an apparent suicide, she gets the fright of her life.

The corpse opens its eyes.

Now very much alive, the 'dead' woman is rushed to the hospital where her next action shocks everyone. With cool precision, she murders a security guard and seizes hostages. One of those hostages is a very pregnant patient: Jane Rizzoli.

Who is this mysterious hostage-taker, and what does she want? As tense hours tick by, Maura joins forces with Jane's husband, FBI agent Gabriel Dean, to track down the nameless woman's identity.

But only Jane, trapped with the armed madwoman, holds the key to the mystery. And only she can solve it - if she survives the night...

Pulled another late nighter last night to finish Vanish, another one I couldn't put down. This is equally as good as Harvest, once i got past the first couple of chapters I was well and truely hooked. Tess Gerritsen is fast becoming one of my favourite authors and look forward to reading the rest of her books.

Still plodding on with Shirley by Charlotte Bronte but think I'll start Blood Ties, Michelle's bookring book later on tonight :readingtwo:

Blood Ties by Sam Hayes

It is January 1992. A baby girl is left alone for a moment; long enough for a mother to dash into a shop, and long enough for a child to be taken.

Thirteen years later, solicitor Robert Knight's stepdaughter wins a place at a prestigious London school for the gifted. The only puzzle is his wife Erin's reaction. Why is she so reluctant to let Ruby go? Doesn't she want what's best for her?

As Erin grows more evasive, Robert can't help but feel she has something to hide, and when he stumbles on mysterious letters, he discovers she has been lying to him. Somewhere in his wife's past lies a secret; a shocking secret that threatens to destroy everything..

• 2 weeks later...

Blood Ties was a great book from start to finish, highly recommended and an author to keep an eye out for.

Next up is Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Sterling is a small, ordinary New Hampshire town where nothing ever happens - until a student enters the local high school with an arsenal of guns and starts shooting, changing the lives of everyone inside and out. The daughter of the judge sitting on the case should be the state's best witness - but with her boyfriend dead and her childhood friend charged with murder, she's struggling to remember what happened in front of her own eyes...

I am just over halfway through this book, and am loving it! It is a really good read, hard to put down

Next up is Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Sterling is a small, ordinary New Hampshire town where nothing ever happens - until a student enters the local high school with an arsenal of guns and starts shooting, changing the lives of everyone inside and out. The daughter of the judge sitting on the case should be the state's best witness - but with her boyfriend dead and her childhood friend charged with murder, she's struggling to remember what happened in front of her own eyes...

I'm a quarter way through it and in a word I'm 'hooked' :D

I know it's a hardback but it's coming to work with me tomorrow, well worth taking an extended lunch break to read more.

Show off :D

Hubby wouldn't allow me to sit and read all day :motz:much as I'd love to do so.

My oh is quite good but I can cook and clean while reading, a talent I learnt as a child and try not to get too jealous (!) Hubby made me go to take middley to a double riding lesson (two hours) the day after HP came out so that I could sit in the car and read it ! He is a love sometimes (and he is mending my bike now)

Finished Nineteen Minutes last night. Loved it. I have to say it is one of her better ones and I wasn't expecting it to end as it did. Highly recommended.

Next to read...

For One More Day by Mitch Albom

As a child, Charley Benetto was told by his father, 'You can be a mama's boy or a daddy's boy, but you can't be both.' So he chooses his father, only to see him disappear when Charley is on the verge of adolescence. Decades later, Charley is a broken man. His life has been destroyed by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits rock bottom after discovering he won't be invited to his only daughter's wedding. And he decides to take his own life.

Charley makes a midnight ride to his small hometown: his final journey. But as he staggers into his old house, he makes an astonishing discovery. His mother - who died eight years earlier - is there, and welcomes Charley home as if nothing ever happened.

What follows is the one seemingly ordinary day so many of us yearn for: a chance to make good with a lost parent, to explain the family secrets and to seek forgiveness. Somewhere between this life and the next, Charley learns the astonishing things he never knew about his mother and her sacrifices. And he tries, with her tender guidance, to put the crumbled pieces of his life back together...

I finished Mitch Albom's book one this morning. What a lovely, easy book to read, I have had a word for it all day at work and now I'm home I've forgotten it!

Not sure what to read next :D

I'll probably do ip dip do later :smile2:

Edited by madcow
spelling!

Having to give up on Bronte's Shirley, I will get round to reading it but just not yet.

Picked up Tess Gerritsen's The Apprentice last night.

I know I am not the only one of my kind who walks this earth. Somewhere, there is another. And he waits for me...

The Surgeon has been locked up for a year but his chilling legacy still haunts the city, and especially Boston homicide detective Jane Rizzoli. For now a new killer is at work and Rizzoli senses something horrifyingly familiar about this murderer's modus operandi. Grim coincidence? Or more terrifying still, could these two monsters have somehow made contact...

Edited by madcow
added a bit

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to finish The Apprentice last night, another page turner from TG and followed on nicely from The Surgeon. I really do like her style of writing and I like getting to know the main characters, they are sort of becomming friends.

next up is a bookring book - The Private Lives of Pippe Lee by Rebecca Miller.

Just finished The Private Lives of Pippa Lee and after a boring bit at the beginning it turned out to be a really good read with an ending I didn't see coming. I'll keep an eye out for more of Ms Millers work.

Not sure what to read next...Body Double by Tess Gerritsen, Peggy Elliot's A Small Part of History or Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire oh decisions decisions :D I'll get back when I've decided.

Glad you enjoyed The Apprentice Jules, I read The Surgeon and enjoyed it so have managed to get the rest of the series from RISI. Although I would usually choose the genre I really enjoyed TG's style of writing. Just need to find time to read them now!

Kx

Thanks Esio, seeing as I have already read The Sinner which is next in the series I'll be reading Body Double very very soon. I've decided to read Peggy Elliot's A Small Part of History next.

A Small part Of History is the unforgettable story of the women who travelled the Oregon Trail in 1845 - a tale of incredible bravery told through narrative, diaries and recipes. With it's powerful themes of family relationships, the American dream, and the role of women throughout history, this is a perfect reading group book....

Thanks Esio, seeing as I have already read The Sinner which is next in the series I'll be reading Body Double very very soon. I've decided to read Peggy Elliot's A Small Part of History next.

A Small part Of History is the unforgettable story of the women who travelled the Oregon Trail in 1845 - a tale of incredible bravery told through narrative, diaries and recipes. With it's powerful themes of family relationships, the American dream, and the role of women throughout history, this is a perfect reading group book....

Right I'll read that next ...... if I ever finish the Book Thief!

Half way through A Small Part of History and enjoying it. Similar narrative/style to Lesley Pearse's Never Look Back although that was set against the Gold Rush instead of The Oregan Trail.

Finished A Small Part Of History last night. I'm not very good at reviews but here goes:

This was a very touching story which made me so glad I wasn't born in that era. The struggles and heartaches they went through don't bear thinking about, it was very touching in places. To me Sarah started of acting very childish but faced with all the adversity (not sure if that's the right word but it will do for now) on the trail she matured into a lovely thoughtful person. The book gives the reader a real insight into what it would have been like to up sticks so to speak and start a new life on the other side of the country including all the hardships without being graffic or depressing. A highly recommended read.

Next up - Confessions Of An Ugly Sister by Gregory Maguire.

We have all heard the story of Cinderella, the beautiful child cast out to slave among the ashes. But what of her stepsisters, the homely pair exiled into ignominy by the fame of their lovely sibling? What fate befell those untouched by beauty...and what curses accompanied Cinderella's looks?

Set against the backdrop of seventeeth-century Holland, COAUS tells the story of Iris, an unlikely heroine who finds herself swept from the lowly streets of Haarlem to a strange world of wealth, artifice, and ambition. Iris'spath quickly becomes intertwined with that of Clara, the mysterious and unnaturally beautiful girl destined to become her sister. While Clara retreats to the cinders of the family hearth, Iris seeks out the shadowy secrets of her new household - and the treacherous truth of her former life.

Far more than a mere fairy tale, COAUS is a novel of beauty and betrayal, illusion and understanding, reminding us that deception can be unearthed - and love unveiled - in the most unexpected places.

Still reading COAUS but inbetween I've read Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard, for anyone who hasn't read it, do. A page turner from start to finish I couldn't put it down, I read it it under 6 hours :lol: Look forward to reading more of Linda's work.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finished A Lifetime Burning by Linda Gillard this afternoon, another page turner. I loved Emotional Geology but this surpassed that, I was hooked from the first page and felt I really got to know the Dunbar family well. The story is well written and even though it moves between different periods in the families lives it just adds to the feeling of wanting to know more. I will definately re-read this one day.

Now I really must finish Confessions Of An Ugly Sister before tackling anything else :)