Stephen King Guide

Kell

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome :readingtwo: Its one of my favourites, no thats a lie I love em all just in different ways !! How is Heart Shaped Box? I read one of Tabitha Kings earlier this year, not overly impressed, but it was not the worst book I ever read. Oh hang on.........Candles Burning. (just had to run downstairs and have a look !!)

Heart-Shaped Box is turning out better than I'd hoped. The whole atmosphere is reminiscent of early SK. There's a genuine eeriness which has been missing in a lot of King Senior's books.:readingtwo:

Thanks for the warning Os. I'm not very far into it at the moment and a lot seems to be happening very quickly. I did wonder if the story could be sustained through the rest of the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good. I'm about two thirds of the way through, and the story is holding up well.

It's taking a while, as I have a very structured way of reading - one chapter a day, no matter how long or short. Indeed, one of the earlier chapters in HSB was only 4 lines long, so I barely had time to sit down! I get quite anxious if I break my routine!:(

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I haven't read any (thats right ANY - please don't kill me ;)) of Stephen King's books, so can you tell me a few of them that would be good to start with?? I don't care what genre.

Thanks in advance

OH and, has anyone seen Rose Red?? One of King's movies. I'm not sure but is it a novell aswell? If not, are there any of his books similar to that movie? I loved the plot!! :lol:

I hadn't either until last year.

I read Dolores Claiborne - it was OK but not brilliant. I can however thoroughly recommend The Stand. At 1400 pages though, it is a bit of a monster. (But it does have it's own ongoing Reading Circle here )

These are my only two SK novels. If you're looking for something shorter, my mum thoroughly enjoyed Misery last year, and it's on my wish list. But I am sure some others can point you in the right direction.

I agree that the short stories might be a good place to start. Otherwise, I'd recommend Misery or The Shining. Some of King's books can be a little unusual, so you're probably better sticking to the more 'straight forward' ones. I read quite a few of his as a teenager.. I think Cujo was quite good, too.

Carrie is a good one, and maybe a familiar story also Christine is not that shabby either. I love all Stephen Kings books (except Geralds Game :lol:) Insomnia, Bag of Bones, The Green Mile the list goes on and on. You could try The Stand as it is fantastic but as has been said before it is a monster ! I would give Desperation and The Regulators a miss as first reads although if you develope a taste for SK I can recommend them !

I would recommend The Stand, and IT. Or for something a bit shorter: Rose Madder or Insommnia. Those are my picks. :lol:

I've seen Rose Red; I don't remember too much about it, but I wasn't overly impressed. It's based on a book called The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer by Ellen Rimbauer. Not entirely sure what Stephen King's involvement was though.

I would recommend you start with The Shining, It, Carrie or Christine. Definitely one of his earlier works, anyway.

I didn't rate Dreamcatcher, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon or Bag of Bones, though many did. Conversely, I loved Rose Madder but seem to be in a minority with this! Firestarter is also one of my personal favourites. :lol:

I've only read two of King's books so far: Night Shift and Different Seasons. Both are collections of short stories, although there are only 4 in Different Seasons (they're more like novellas).

Like Timmy, I'd recommend Different Seasons. Some brilliant stories there, including the 2 that inspired the movies The Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me.

I would recommend The Stand, and IT. Or for something a bit shorter: Rose Madder or Insommnia. Those are my picks. :lol:

I've seen Rose Red; I don't remember too much about it, but I wasn't overly impressed. It's based on a book called The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer by Ellen Rimbauer. Not entirely sure what Stephen King's involvement was though.

I searched on imdb.com and it said that Rose Red was a mini tv-series (4 parts). The version i watched was seperated into 2 disks though, so i thought it was just a really long movie. It goes for 4 hours and it did say that it was written by Stephen King. It's also been called 'Stephen King's Rose Red'. *shrugs* Maybe he only wrote the tv-series.

thanks for your suggestions everyone! i think i'll start with Different Seasons and Four Past Midnight. oh... i just had a look on my local library's website and it doesn't have Four Past Midnight. :motz:Different Seasons it is, then!

I searched on imdb.com and it said that Rose Red was a mini tv-series (4 parts). The version i watched was seperated into 2 disks though, so i thought it was just a really long movie. It goes for 4 hours and it did say that it was written by Stephen King. It's also been called 'Stephen King's Rose Red'. *shrugs* Maybe he only wrote the tv-series

I think it's that other authos, Joyce Reardon and Stephen King, contributed parts (explanatory notes and, possibly, an intoroduction, from what I can gather on Amazon).

I'm pretty sure I read 'Rose Red' by King. But according to amazon, it doesn't exist, and King just wrote the script for the mini series. How odd is that! lol

ETA: I guess I must have had this book, and my memory thinks it was a King book, because I watched the mini-series, and knew that was by King.

However.. I'm pretty sure I found the book hard going, and didn't finish it. And, it's more about the background of the house, and the people who built and lived there.. rather than the script for the mini series... if that makes sense?!