Some advice, if you would.

Bill

First off, Hello! I am new, I am Bill and this looks like a lovely place to be posting.

I am searching for a book to benefit a friend of mine and was wondering if somebody here could help me out. The friend is English, female and aged eighteen. She has had a somewhat awkward upbringing, receiving abuse from her mother and from the age of six, her father removed from her life (divorce). Her main interests are philosophy, ethics and religion and also teaching.

I realise this is a long shot in the dark, but can anyone think of a book which entails as many of these themes and which is also presented in fiction? She feels a little lost and can't really relate to many people about how she feels. Do you think a book could help her?

Bill

Hi Bill, and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I can't think of any books that combine all those themes off the top of my head, but I shall have a think about it and see if I can come up with anything.

Hi and welcome :(

Which themes? Her life experiences and her interests? Or just her interests?

In the meantime how about the diary of Anne Frank. Anne is a Jew and reflects on her faith through the midst of the crisis she faces as well as talking frankly about her experience of adolescence under very difficult circumstances. She is an inspirational figure IMO and her writing is very intelligent, touching on many of the themes you mention.

Hope that helps

Hi there, Bill! You seem like you'll fit in wonderfully.

The friend is English, female and aged eighteen. She has had a somewhat awkward upbringing, receiving abuse from her mother and from the age of six, her father removed from her life (divorce).

I'm sorry about the things your friend has gone through. I am her age, and I can only vaguely imagine the heartache I'd feel if I went through the same things she did. Having someone there for her must be the best thing!

Her main interests are philosophy, ethics and religion and also teaching.

I realise this is a long shot in the dark, but can anyone think of a book which entails as many of these themes and which is also presented in fiction? She feels a little lost and can't really relate to many people about how she feels. Do you think a book could help her?

Bill

Maybe at least one of these will do the trick. First I'll do a condensed list. My descriptions will follow.

- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis with The Keys to the Chronicles: Unlocking the Symbols of Narnia by Marvin D. Hinten

- The Lord of the Rings series with Walking with Frodo by Sarah Arthur

- Blankets by Craig Thompson

- Seinlanguage by Jerry Seinfeld

- Running the Race: A Graduate's Guide to Life by R.C. Sproul

- So What's the Difference? by Fritz Ridenour

- Thr33 by Ted Dekker

- Nightmare Academy by Frank Peretti

I think three books come to mind right away for me, and I'm not sure they're perfect for your purposes, but for some reason you've caused me to ponder on them --

She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb, who is just excellent at getting into the mind of a teenager, and a girl at that.

The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak, a brilliant writer who makes you think from another point of view in Nazi Germany.

The Center of Everything, by Laura Moriarty, about a teenage girl in the middle of Kansas who has a lot on her plate.

When it comes to ethics, I loved Complications, by Atul Gawande, who is amazing, but it's a medical book written by a surgeon here at Harvard (not sure it's what you're looking for). And for philosophy, that's just a tough one, period. What about Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder? It's an oldie, but a goody!!

You should be able to find all of these on Amazon:)

And for philosophy, that's just a tough one, period. What about Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder? It's an oldie, but a goody!!

Sophie's World is a really good one for entertaining read on philosophy, but personally I think it is, especially if the book is your first contact to philosophical thinking, more about asking questions, than providing answers. And if I got it right from Bill, answers would be nice.

I'd suggest Tolstoy's Anna Karenina for the philosophical/ethical/religious thought, but the whole jumping-under-a-train -ending of Anna together with the no-matter-what-that-still-seemed-like-the-best-idea -logic behind it might not be the best thing to read about for her.

Okay, here are the descriptions to aid your decision.:(

-
The Chronicles of Narnia
by C.S. Lewis
with
The Keys to the Chronicles: Unlocking the Symbols of Narnia
by Marvin D. Hinten

This is a classic series with a companion book looking at the philosophy behind it. I thought her teaching side would come into play since it's a children's series, and her ethics side would also be satisfied since there are such good heroes in it. Maybe you're talking about the discussion of ethics, though...

-
The Lord of the Rings
series
with
Walking with Frodo
by Sarah Arthur

(Same reason I chose the first two, although
Lord of the Rings
isn't really for young children:mrgreen:. I really liked the commentary book, even though I've only read
The Hobbit
and
watched
the other three.)

-
Blankets
by Craig Thompson

I found this one from our Graphic Novels and Comics thread. You should check it out; there's a link to look at the first few pages! It hooked
me
Blankets
is a story written by a popular comics artist about falling in love and parental abuse.

-
Seinlanguage
by Jerry Seinfeld

Just a bit of lighthearted reading. She might like Seinfeld's observational comedy. It's his popular comedy bits from the early 1990s set to paper.

-
Running the Race: A Graduate's Guide to Life
by R.C. Sproul

There is some good stuff about philosophy in here, based on the fact that going into college and the world (like I will, and she probably will) will present lots of new ideas.

-
So What's the Difference?
by Fritz Ridenour

Compares Christianity with world religions

-
Thr33
by Ted Dekker

Thr33
is a fast-paced thriller - I read it in three days, only because I made myself eat meals and help around the house! Interesting look at what would happen when someone gets confused about human nature and morality.

-
Nightmare Academy
by Frank Peretti

This "horror" (more like suspense-y-thriller-y) writer targeted this book for teens. She'll be intersted by the way the minor characters are sucked into a destructive form of moral relativism.

Wow!!! So many responses, this place is great! I am sorry I haven't got back to anyone of you until now, Christmas has been rather hectic. But seriously... thank you so much for all these suggestions! I am going to do some research :(

Bill

Okay, here are the descriptions to aid your decision.:)

-
The Chronicles of Narnia
by C.S. Lewis
with
The Keys to the Chronicles: Unlocking the Symbols of Narnia
by Marvin D. Hinten

This is a classic series with a companion book looking at the philosophy behind it. I thought her teaching side would come into play since it's a children's series, and her ethics side would also be satisfied since there are such good heroes in it. Maybe you're talking about the discussion of ethics, though...

-
The Lord of the Rings
series
with
Walking with Frodo
by Sarah Arthur

(Same reason I chose the first two, although
Lord of the Rings
isn't really for young children:mrgreen:. I really liked the commentary book, even though I've only read
The Hobbit
and
watched
the other three.)

-
Blankets
by Craig Thompson

I found this one from our Graphic Novels and Comics thread. You should check it out; there's a link to look at the first few pages! It hooked
me
Blankets
is a story written by a popular comics artist about falling in love and parental abuse.

-
Seinlanguage
by Jerry Seinfeld

Just a bit of lighthearted reading. She might like Seinfeld's observational comedy. It's his popular comedy bits from the early 1990s set to paper.

-
Running the Race: A Graduate's Guide to Life
by R.C. Sproul

There is some good stuff about philosophy in here, based on the fact that going into college and the world (like I will, and she probably will) will present lots of new ideas.

-
So What's the Difference?
by Fritz Ridenour

Compares Christianity with world religions

-
Thr33
by Ted Dekker

Thr33
is a fast-paced thriller - I read it in three days, only because I made myself eat meals and help around the house! Interesting look at what would happen when someone gets confused about human nature and morality.

-
Nightmare Academy
by Frank Peretti

This "horror" (more like suspense-y-thriller-y) writer targeted this book for teens. She'll be intersted by the way the minor characters are sucked into a destructive form of moral relativism.

They all sound good, I'm going to go up my local Waterstones and see what they have. I wouldn't mind the Chronicles of Narnia, I have them on VHS :(

Sophie's World is a really good one for entertaining read on philosophy, but personally I think it is, especially if the book is your first contact to philosophical thinking, more about asking questions, than providing answers. And if I got it right from Bill, answers would be nice.

I'd suggest Tolstoy's Anna Karenina for the philosophical/ethical/religious thought, but the whole jumping-under-a-train -ending of Anna together with the no-matter-what-that-still-seemed-like-the-best-idea -logic behind it might not be the best thing to read about for her.

We recently read Sophie's World together, it is a great book, mostly for my benefit. Anna Karenina looks interesting. I'll try have a read and get back to you. Thanks

I think three books come to mind right away for me, and I'm not sure they're perfect for your purposes, but for some reason you've caused me to ponder on them --

She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb, who is just excellent at getting into the mind of a teenager, and a girl at that.

The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak, a brilliant writer who makes you think from another point of view in Nazi Germany.

The Center of Everything, by Laura Moriarty, about a teenage girl in the middle of Kansas who has a lot on her plate.

When it comes to ethics, I loved Complications, by Atul Gawande, who is amazing, but it's a medical book written by a surgeon here at Harvard (not sure it's what you're looking for). And for philosophy, that's just a tough one, period. What about Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder? It's an oldie, but a goody!!

You should be able to find all of these on Amazon:)

Thanks, it does take a lot or something special to actually been seen and taken in by my friend so maybe She's Come Undone would help. Again, I need to find some of these in the stores and have a quick read.

Hi and welcome ;)

Which themes? Her life experiences and her interests? Or just her interests?

In the meantime how about the diary of Anne Frank. Anne is a Jew and reflects on her faith through the midst of the crisis she faces as well as talking frankly about her experience of adolescence under very difficult circumstances. She is an inspirational figure IMO and her writing is very intelligent, touching on many of the themes you mention.

Hope that helps

I remember studying this in school, hehe. I may just loan a cop from the library and accidently leave it at her house;)