• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     

I’m Kevin and I love reading and always have a book on the go, and whilst I always try to finish a book I start, there have been a number of “casualties” I’ve had to give up on…

I don’t like classics or high-brow books and despite trying to read a good number I get bored and have decided life’s too short. Arthur Conan Doyle is the exception to the rule. I’m from Manchester, England and have a bit of a weakness for books set in my home city. Any Manchester recommendations gratefully received!

Hello Kevin and welcome to the forum :006:

I see you've been busy posting about the place so I'm sure our paths will cross sooner or later. Nice to meet you and I hope you enjoy it here.

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum :) 

I think there are a few Arthur Conan Doyle fans here (me included!), what other types of books do you like?

Thanks for the welcomes! Other books I like, well I've got rather stuck in my ways recently and seem to alternate between British crime series invariably with a DCI in the title and pulpy adventure series with a troubled ex-special forces fella righting the wrongs of the world. 

I occasionally branch out to sci-fi but find the more technical books that put the sci over the fi get a bit tedious. I like a biography now and then, but again seem to feel let down a lot. People I think will have interesting stories to tell often disappoint and others I wasn't looking forward to can hold surprises.

I'm currently reading a detective book from a series set in Manchester by Bill Rogers. The stories are good but they're self published and the editing and proof reading are atrocious!  

I like that expression, putting the sci over the fi :giggle2:. I haven't read any crime fiction for ages, I'll keep a look out for your recommendations! 

Hi Mostonian, welcome! I have only been to Manchester once, to see United play . I could recommend you some good Fi without too much Sci in it if you want.....

On 16/04/2019 at 11:23 PM, Mostonian said:

I’m Kevin and I love reading and always have a book on the go, and whilst I always try to finish a book I start, there have been a number of “casualties” I’ve had to give up on…

I don’t like classics or high-brow books and despite trying to read a good number I get bored and have decided life’s too short. Arthur Conan Doyle is the exception to the rule. I’m from Manchester, England and have a bit of a weakness for books set in my home city. Any Manchester recommendations gratefully received!

Hello and welcome. I'm Kevin too!