Read-a-thon 2018

Athena

3 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you can do some nice reading this weekend, Marie :)!

Thanks Athena :). Hope you have some good reading time this weekend.

I’m reading at the mo.

Amulet; The Sonekeeper’s Curse Vol 2 by Kazu Kibuishi

Edited by Marie H

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Marie H said:

Thanks Athena :). Hope you have some good reading time this weekend.

I’m reading at the mo.

Amulet; The Sonekeeper’s Curse Vol 2 by Kazu Kibuishi

I hope you enjoy it :)!! I've read the first 3 volumes in the series and liked them a lot. I have up to volume 7 to read, then waiting for the next volume to come out in paperback to match the other ones I have.

21 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you enjoy it :)!! I've read the first 3 volumes in the series and liked them a lot. I have up to volume 7 to read, then waiting for the next volume to come out in paperback to match the other ones I have.

I really like the 1 & 2 of the Amulet series.  I have those two as Kindle editions, and 3rd as paperback from the local library. I think I will get the Kindle editions soon. 

Read so far of these graphic novels 

Amulet #2 The Stonekeeper’s Curse 57%

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol 1 58%

She and Her Cat by Matoto Shinkai 20% (this one is so beautiful, the story and the illustrations (by Tsubasa Yamaguchi). I must look for more manga by this artist :)

On 06/08/2018 at 11:15 AM, Athena said:

I might have to look up She and Her Cat :)! I've seen a lot of Makoto Shinkai's works in anime adaptation (and like them).

It was a really good graphic novel, beautifully illustrated and most of the story is told by the cat! I had completely forgot that Makoto Shinkai was the author/director of Your Name and 5 Centimetres Per Second :blush:

14 hours ago, Marie H said:

It was a really good graphic novel, beautifully illustrated and most of the story is told by the cat! I had completely forgot that Makoto Shinkai was the author/director of Your Name and 5 Centimetres Per Second :blush:

I may have ordered it :D... That's okay :), I could have made such a mistake too.

• 3 months later...

Hayley is correct, it's the weekend of 7, 8 and 9 December. Sorry, you have to wait a bit longer, Karen :(.

That weekend works well for me, as that whole week (3 - 9 December), I'm planning to try to participate in Tistheseason-a-thon on BookTube, and that way I get to do my BCF read-a-thon the last few days. I don't know yet which graphic novels I'm planning to read for our read-a-thon, I've finished off all my manga series I was reading, but I have some still on my TBR so I'll be picking from those. I'm going to decide closer to the event to see what I feel in the mood for (and also what fits the challenges of Tistheseason-a-thon).

Good to be back at its original home :D!

3 hours ago, Athena said:

Hayley is correct, it's the weekend of 7, 8 and 9 December. Sorry, you have to wait a bit longer, Karen :(.

That weekend works well for me, as that whole week (3 - 9 December), I'm planning to try to participate in Tistheseason-a-thon on BookTube, and that way I get to do my BCF read-a-thon the last few days. I don't know yet which graphic novels I'm planning to read for our read-a-thon, I've finished off all my manga series I was reading, but I have some still on my TBR so I'll be picking from those. I'm going to decide closer to the event to see what I feel in the mood for (and also what fits the challenges of Tistheseason-a-thon).

Good to be back at its original home :D!

Oh well, it'll give me some extra time to figure out what I'm going to read!

11 hours ago, karen.d said:

Oh well, it'll give me some extra time to figure out what I'm going to read!

I think I might decide this upcoming week, so maybe in a couple of days or so. I look forward to hear what you've decided to read :).

4 hours ago, Marie H said:

Yay! The read-a-thon is back :boogie:.

I have a selection of books, with a Winter/Festive theme.....:coolsnow: :coffee1:

A winter themed read-a-thon sounds a great idea! I might read 'A Christmas Carol' for this one.

15 hours ago, Marie H said:

Yay! The read-a-thon is back :boogie:.

I have a selection of books, with a Winter/Festive theme.....:coolsnow: :coffee1:

That sounds awesome :D!

11 hours ago, karen.d said:

A winter themed read-a-thon sounds a great idea! I might read 'A Christmas Carol' for this one.

I hope you enjoy it :)!

I'm doing Tistheseason-a-thon on 3-5 December on BookTube (YouTube) (it runs from 3 - 9 Dec, so it coincides with our read-a-thon). Then from Dec 6 - 9 I'll do our read-a-thon.

I'm thinking of reading a few holiday/wintery themed reads too, I know I have a Christmassy Stilton book that I could re-read. I think I shall browse my shelves later this week and see what reads I can find :). I'll be reading some graphic novels too but I think most of those are not wintery/holiday-y.

Happy you two (Marie and Karen) are participating :grinhat:!

I’ve now found my Winter themed book for next weekend 

Tove Jansson - A Winter Book

Laid back Camp - Afro (manga, girls camping trip in Winter)

A Big Book of Christmas Mysteries ( crime short stories)

:coolsnow:

EDIT: C S Lewis’ The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is added the TBR list too. :snowballfight:

Edited by Marie H

On 12/1/2018 at 4:43 PM, Marie H said:

EDIT: C S Lewis’ The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is added the TBR list too. :snowballfight:

Ohh this sounds like a good read! So far, I've only got 'The Complete Christmas books and Stories' by Charles Dickens although, that might take me all weekend to finish!

On 12/1/2018 at 4:43 PM, Marie H said:

I’ve now found my Winter themed book for next weekend 

Tove Jansson - A Winter Book

Laid back Camp - Afro (manga, girls camping trip in Winter)

A Big Book of Christmas Mysteries ( crime short stories)

Those sound great!

On 12/3/2018 at 12:06 PM, karen.d said:

Ohh this sounds like a good read! So far, I've only got 'The Complete Christmas books and Stories' by Charles Dickens although, that might take me all weekend to finish!

I hope you like it :)! I've read a few (5?) Christmas stories by Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol being my favourite. I didn't get on so well with the other 4, but it might just have been me, I figured out classics aren't really my thing.

I hope you both enjoy your books :)!

I'm reading some wintery/Christmassy books this week, though I don't know yet how far with those I'll be when I start our read-a-thon in the weekend.

I love all these festive emoticons :grinhat:.

2 hours ago, Athena said:

Today I finished off a Sinterklaas-themed book of short stories (for children) and I read the 2nd out of 4 stories in Snow in Love (this story was by Aimee Friedman). Hopefully more reading tomorrow :)!

I only remembered that the read-a-thon starts today instead of tomorrow, about an hour ago! I'm about halfway through 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens, so I guess that's about 40 pages or so.

The read-a-thon has always been Fri-Sat-Sun, but I and sometimes Sarah (Little Pixie) usually start on Thursday. Starting on Friday is fine too :). Sorry for not posting about it starting, sooner, I probably should have posted on Thursday morning rather than Thursday evening.

1 hour ago, Athena said:

The read-a-thon has always been Fri-Sat-Sun, but I and sometimes Sarah (Little Pixie) usually start on Thursday. Starting on Friday is fine too :). Sorry for not posting about it starting, sooner, I probably should have posted on Thursday morning rather than Thursday evening.

It's not a problem! At least I got a bit of reading done.

18 hours ago, karen.d said:

I only remembered that the read-a-thon starts today instead of tomorrow, about an hour ago! I'm about halfway through 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens, so I guess that's about 40 pages or so.

Oh dear, I only noticed that the read-a-thon was standing yesterday, so I only managed 1 hour! :D

Happy reading everyone this weekend :xmassmile: