Jump to content
chesilbeach

Your Book Activity - October 2017

Recommended Posts

On 10/20/2017 at 8:33 PM, frankie said:

 

Bobblybear, this was re: The Big Little Lies. I've not seen the show but I've definitely wanted to watch it!! The problem is that it's on HBO and I have Netflix and I feel like I shouldn't pay for two different stuff at the same time. I think I might quit Netflix for a while and switch to HBO. Then The Big Little Lies would definitely be on my Must Watch list! :) Have you (by now) seen the series?

 

No, not yet. Like you, I have Netflix, but I don't know if we have the option to watch HBO over here in the UK. :unsure: I saw it for sale on Amazon, but it was nearly £20, so I will wait for it to come down in price.

 

I finished Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie and I was a bit disappointed by it. Not sure what I was expecting, maybe something a bit more fast-paced and exciting? I didn't like the ending either.

 

Never mind! I'm still reading Human Universe by Brian Cox, and have now picked up Almost French by Sarah Turnbull, which is a re-read. I have the day off work today, so hope to get through some more reading. :readingtwo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meet me at the lighthouse by Mary Jayne Baker I got this one because the reviews say it is the Summers best Laugh out Loud book which has to be a good recommendation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2017 at 5:44 PM, Little Pixie said:

Currently reading Helene Hanff : 84 Charing Cross Road. I took it into the Dentist`s, and he asked what I was reading ; after I finished enthusing, he said he really liked the film but hadn`t read the book, and could he have a look. He`s taken a pic of the cover now to remind himself to get the book. Another new fan ! :D 

 

That's so nice :)!

 

On 10/20/2017 at 9:01 PM, bobblybear said:

This is going to be my next read, and my first Agatha Christie novel. I saw the trailer for it recently and it seemed pretty good.

 

I liked the trailer too. Shame the book disappointed you a bit.

 

On 10/21/2017 at 2:19 PM, Litwitlou said:

Ran across an advance reading copy of Jodi Picoult's The Tenth Circle on my shelves.  She writes beautifully and I was thoroughly appreciating the book until near the end where I think it went a little off the rails. Hard to believe I've never read her before. Many people speak highly of her work.

 

The Tenth Circle is one of the ones I haven't read yet, so I'm glad you hear (read) you liked it. I've read quite a lot of her books and really like most of them.

 

On 10/21/2017 at 2:19 PM, Litwitlou said:

Then I began The Girl on the Train. I couldn't put it down until I lost it. I know it's in the house but I can't find it. Driving me nuts.

 

Awww :( I hope you find it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've almost finished The Fantastic World of Kamtellar, which has indeed been fantastic.  So much so that I want to continue with R. Chetwynd-Hayes and re-read another of his, The Monster Club.  Shadmocks and weregoos and vams galore!

 

After that, I have some trade paperbacks lined up:  Midnighter and Apollo to begin with, which I'm looking forward to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2017 at 11:36 PM, bobblybear said:

I finished Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie and I was a bit disappointed by it. Not sure what I was expecting, maybe something a bit more fast-paced and exciting? I didn't like the ending either.

I've never read Agatha Christie just because I'm afraid of being disappointed. My mom and I MUST see the movie though- Johnny Depp looks fine lol

 

I started Endurance, the recent release of astronaut Scott Kelly. Like, it just came out Tuesday. It's great, I can see why I like it and mountain climbing books, they are... similar. It's interesting. Scott Kelly is a great storyteller, which was everything I had read about the book before I started it. It's nice to have a book live up to expectations!

 

I also just finished my, at least 3rd, re read of World War Z, appropriate for Halloween! Joe Hill's new release is already bought and on the TBR :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The past few days I've not been reading any books. Instead, I'm reading a Dutch magazine special about books and reading. I hope that after I finish it, that I'll feel like reading a book (dear reading slump, when will you go away..).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's taken me ages to read a few books this month, but I'm currently reading The Princess Bride by William Goldman and listening to Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, chesilbeach said:

It's taken me ages to read a few books this month, but I'm currently reading The Princess Bride by William Goldman and listening to Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.

 

Now that's balanced reading. One book is witty, light and ends happily; the other is sadder than dropping your two scoop butter pecan cone in the sand at the beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Litwitlou said:

 

Now that's balanced reading. One book is witty, light and ends happily; the other is sadder than dropping your two scoop butter pecan cone in the sand at the beach.

 

Oh, spoiler alert!!! :( 

I had no idea whether Tess was one of Hardy’s sadder books and was just going to see how it panned out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23.10.2017 at 9:36 AM, bobblybear said:

 

No, not yet. Like you, I have Netflix, but I don't know if we have the option to watch HBO over here in the UK. :unsure: I saw it for sale on Amazon, but it was nearly £20, so I will wait for it to come down in price.

 

Hm. Not that I would know anything, but I don't see any reason for you guys not to be able to see HBO...? If we can watch it, I'm sure you can, too :D 

 

Still reading Terms of Endearment. It's going okay. I need to add the movie to the must watch -list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently reading Robert Thorogood - Death in Paradise 3: Death Knocks Twice. I'm liking it so far :). I'm halfway, I hope to finish it today or tomorrow or in one of the next few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday, I'd nearly finished my book when it suddenly hit me that I really, really, really wanted to read Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving. Irving is my favourite male author, but the second-to-last book I read by him was a bit of a let-down (not enormously, though) and the last one I read by him was a major let-down. I'm hoping to redeem him. So I went to the library, to get one book.

 

One book and I knew which one I wanted. I thought I'd just go to the shelves, get it, and leave.

 

Of course, I ended up coming home with three books. Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving, a collection of Poirot stories including Murder on the Orient Express and The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. I've heard of Murder on the Orient Express many times, but I don't know who did it, or how. I'm very curious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

a collection of Poirot stories including Murder on the Orient Express... I've heard of Murder on the Orient Express many times, but I don't know who did it, or how. I'm very curious!

 

Awesome!  I hope you enjoy them.  I love Poirot.  Orient Express is slow-paced and thoughtful, but then (as I've discovered!) that's what you get with Christie.  I hope you'll let us know what you think of it.

 

I'm almost halfway through my re-read of The Monster Club.  It's daft and fun; just right for Halloween.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read The Whispers in the Wall by Sophie Cleverly yesterday.  Haven't read anything today, but have done a bit of re-organising of my book lists ... that counts, right?:giggle2:

 

Next up, I bought myself We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson, because it's the next book being discussed on the Backlisted podcast which is out tomorrow, so I'd better get a move on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

One book and I knew which one I wanted. I thought I'd just go to the shelves, get it, and leave.

 

Of course, I ended up coming home with three books. Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving, a collection of Poirot stories including Murder on the Orient Express and The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. I've heard of Murder on the Orient Express many times, but I don't know who did it, or how. I'm very curious!

 

Recognisable!

 

I liked Murder on the Orient Express and I also liked The Shock of the Fall. I hope you enjoy all three books :)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am only going to have one book read in October, as it's fallen behind quite a bit. 

 

I am really enjoying two books I am reading, and I have unfortunately misplaced a third one. So will have to find that. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2017 at 5:16 AM, chesilbeach said:

 

Oh, spoiler alert!!! :( 

  Hide contents

I had no idea whether Tess was one of Hardy’s sadder books and was just going to see how it panned out.

 

 

Oops, sorry about the spoiler. I'll try harder to avoid them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2017 at 11:44 AM, chesilbeach said:

It's taken me ages to read a few books this month, but I'm currently reading The Princess Bride by William Goldman and listening to Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.

 

Just as a sidenote, William Goldman won an Academy Award for the screenplay of The Princess Bride and another Oscar for the screenplay of All the President's Men.

 

William Goldman is the younger brother of James Goldman who wrote the play, The Lion in Winter. Ha adapted the play for the film version and won an Oscar for the adaptation. The film was the first movie for Anthony Hopkins who played Richard the Lionhearted. Katherine Hepburn won her third Oscar for her role as Eleanor of Aquitaine, and Peter O'Toole was excellent as Henry II.

 

You can't go wrong reading the Goldman brothers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Litwitlou said:

 

Just as a sidenote, William Goldman won an Academy Award for the screenplay of The Princess Bride and another Oscar for the screenplay of All the President's Men.

 

William Goldman is the younger brother of James Goldman who wrote the play, The Lion in Winter. Ha adapted the play for the film version and won an Oscar for the adaptation. The film was the first movie for Anthony Hopkins who played Richard the Lionhearted. Katherine Hepburn won her third Oscar for her role as Eleanor of Aquitaine, and Peter O'Toole was excellent as Henry II.

 

You can't go wrong reading the Goldman brothers. 

 

Actually, William Goldman didn’t win an Oscar for The Princess Bride, his first Oscar was for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and his second for All The President’s Men. There’s also a very good book about the making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes and Joe Layden called As You Wish. I’m keen to find a copy of Goldman’s Adventures in the Screen Trade as a few weeks ago it was featured on a podcast I listen to called Backlisted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right.  The first one was for Butch and Sundance.  I'm not really good with movies :(.

 

The Princess Bride had me stumped for awhile. I thought it was a great movie and watched it every time I could, but I could never figure out why I liked it so much. I mean, I don't like Zombie flicks or shoot'em ups,  But The Princess Bride struck me as a little immature, maybe better for kids, you know? Nevertheless I just enjoyed the heck out of it. Then I found out who wrote it and that explained everything.

 

BTW, Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father.  Prepare to die.

 

That line cracks me up :D

Edited by Litwitlou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2017 at 6:26 PM, frankie said:

 

Hm. Not that I would know anything, but I don't see any reason for you guys not to be able to see HBO...? If we can watch it, I'm sure you can, too :D 

 

I don't need to watch HBO anymore because I ordered the DVD a couple of days ago. :D I couldn't resist. It should arrive by this weekend, so I'll be watching it for sure! 

 

On 10/29/2017 at 6:17 PM, chesilbeach said:

Next up, I bought myself We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson, because it's the next book being discussed on the Backlisted podcast which is out tomorrow, so I'd better get a move on!

 

I loved We Have Always Lived In The Castle. Very dark and disturbing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×