#81 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,740 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

Late to replying, sorry! :blush: 

Sorry to confuse you, frankie.  Um, I don't know what the technical difference is between a pen and a marker - I'm sure there probably is one - and to be honest, I tend to use them interchangeably, but I guess I would only tend to use "marker" as a thick felt type pen, and would probably only use it for chunky pens as opposed to the slim type of "pen" like the Pigma Microns which I would happily write with on normal paper as well as using with hand lettering and other art work.

Nah, no need to apologize, really :smile2: So, unless I got it really wrong, would you say a Pigma Micron was also a pen? You see, I would call it a marker. (Although I used to call everything that I didn't see as a pen being a felt tip pen, but now I've learned the word 'marker')

I bought myself three of these today - the 01, the 08 and the Brush pen.  I went to an art shop and they didn't have the set, but I figured these three would be a good start to see how I get on. :)

I recently went to a shop to get another Pigma Micron 04 and 08. Not that my old ones had run out of ink, but I wanted spare ones in case I lost any, etc. Anyhow, I thought I'd have to buy the package where there's the 01, 02, 04, 05, and 08, as I'd previously done. But luckily I was paying attention and found there was a shelf on the counter next to the pens, where one could buy individual Microns! :smile2: This meant I could buy the exact ones that I wanted and not have to get 01 and 02 which I personally don't like as they are too thin for my liking. And there were also blue ones! :wub: I had to get one, blue being my favorite color. 

So happy to have found a place where they sold these markers individually! I also got a grey highlighter, called Distress Marker :lol: I love it! 

We often call those types of markers 'textas'. And yes, that's what I picture when I think of 'pen'. I think, for me, a marker is partway between a pen and a texta. Whereas textas are quite thick and 'heavy', markers are more delicate but have a different type of ink than a normal pen. Does that make sense?

That makes sense, if I have got it right. So markers are the thin things, but they have the same ink as your textas, whereas pens are pens. 

I guess what I'm trying to say, for me, the pen is the thing that has a metallic tip, where there's a tiny hole wherefrom the ink comes. There is no extension which is in itself .. felt tipped? You know? 

(Although I've recently realized I've used the Finnish word 'mustekynä' which really means a fountain pen, for 'kuulakärkikynä', which is a pen (metallic tip with ink coming out of the tiny hole. So I guess it can be confusing in other languages, too :blush:

I've created a board on Pinterest to help me keep track of particular spreads and lettering that I like because I found I was visiting the same pages over and over.  :blush2:

I did this, too, in case I haven't told everyone already :D

I don't think I've seen Pigma Microns around. I'll have to look into them. :)

Over here I don't see much else. I see Stabilo, but I think those are not permanent. At least the ones I've got are not. 

Last weekend I went to a stationery store that's attached to my favourite bookstore in Sydney. I looked to see if they had any LT1917s and they had a huge range! I took a pic to show you all.

attachicon.gifIMG_4377.JPG

Hurrah for epic LT1917 section! :D <3 

Edit: Okay, I'm now looking at my old massive Finnish-English-Finnish dictionary. The 'pen' that I'm talking about, is called ballpoint, ballpoint pen, and in British also Biro/biro. 

Edited by frankie, 25 March 2017 - 11:20 PM.

#82 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,740 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

I have to say that oddly enough, what with having bought brush pens and having all them colors available, I'm more and more drawn to the more minimalistic weekly spreads and stuff. I think it would be nice to try a basic black-grey-white weekly spread. (My problem is that once I got my two beloved galligraphy markers (baby blue and green), I did quite a few weekly spreads in advance, using the colors. Meaning next week's weekly is in color, still. I think I might like to try a black and white after that.)

Do you guys like to use color or go for black and white? 

#83 davidh219

davidh219

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:49 AM

I tried doing this once. Didn't keep up with it for very long. At some point I finally had to accept I'm just not the kind of person who actually likes writing in a physical notebook. It's a romantic writer affectation that's aesthetically appealing, but it's just too slow and none of the data is easily searched and altered. Everything in my brain just gets dumped into wikidpad, which I can't say enough nice things about. Unfortunately the android wikidpad app is useless garbage so if I'm out of the house and need to write something down I use google keep on my phone and transfer it into wikidpad when I get home. 

#84 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,767 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

I have to say that oddly enough, what with having bought brush pens and having all them colors available, I'm more and more drawn to the more minimalistic weekly spreads and stuff. I think it would be nice to try a basic black-grey-white weekly spread. (My problem is that once I got my two beloved galligraphy markers (baby blue and green), I did quite a few weekly spreads in advance, using the colors. Meaning next week's weekly is in color, still. I think I might like to try a black and white after that.)

Do you guys like to use color or go for black and white? 

I still haven't started mine, but I'm getting close!  I have the same dilemma about whether to go with just black ink or whether to add colour.  I think I'm going to start with black only initially and see how it goes.  I think I'm going to carry on with lettering and calligraphy outside of the journal, so I'd be happier to include colour in that, where it'll be one off pieces at a time.  I'm definitely drawn to the plain black ink pages I've seen, so that'll be my starting point.

#85 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,162 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:42 PM

Hubby and I have decided to start watching Poirot right from the start, so I did a one-page tracker spread to keep note of where we're up to...

Attached File  17425084_10158278110725386_6461044975885340070_n.jpg   70.1KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users