79 replies to this topic

#21 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

Oh boy... I've just ordered Creative Lettering and Beyond: Inspiring tips, techniques, and ideas for hand lettering your way to beautiful works of art by Gabri Joy Kirkendall et al. 

61IacDxIhnL.jpg

#22 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,729 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

^ That looks brilliant!!!  Adding to wishlist now :yes:  Thanks, frankie! :D

#23 chaliepud

chaliepud

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 4,670 posts
  • LocationLeafy Surrey

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

I'm afraid my new BuJo is very boring and functional (like me?! :blush2: ) I really don't have the inclination to make it all fancy but I'm loving the organisational capabilities of it, amazing really, it is just a notebook with numbered pages, but those numbered pages/index are what make all the difference!!! :)

#24 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

^ That looks brilliant!!!  Adding to wishlist now :yes:  Thanks, frankie! :D

You are very welcome! :D

I'm afraid my new BuJo is very boring and functional (like me?! :blush2: ) I really don't have the inclination to make it all fancy but I'm loving the organisational capabilities of it, amazing really, it is just a notebook with numbered pages, but those numbered pages/index are what make all the difference!!! :)

To each their own! A BuJo doesn't have to be fancy at all, it's supposed to be functional and helpful and easy to use! :smile2: And I'm totally happy to hear that you are loving it so much! :smile2: The index is really what it's all about :yes:

I've never been good at drawing, but I like writing and paper and stuff, so hand lettering is like the kind of drawing that I might be able to do okay :D It's the easier kind of drawing :D So I'm keen on trying it :smile2:

Edited by frankie, 10 January 2017 - 07:34 PM.

#25 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,161 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

I also use the Leuchtturm 1917 dot grid - mine is bright orange. I didn't get lucky and spot them going cheap though - LOL! I got mine off Amazon.

A few more pages from mine:

We decided to introduce the boys to Dr Who from Christopher Eccleston onwards (they've both seen Capaldi to date and loved it), so I devoted a two-page spread to keeping tabs on where we're up to (and some of my other TV shows spilled over from the previous page too).

Attached File  15894647_10157923391290386_2147057079262321979_n.jpg   89.66KB   0 downloads

I included a simplified version of my 52 things in 52 weeks challenge too.

Attached File  15977712_10157923391450386_1648089810673262528_n.jpg   86.93KB   0 downloads

I'm taking part in the Orange Rhino challenge, the aim of which is to not shout at my kids any more. So far I've succeeded, although part of that may be down to the fact that I currently have flu and can't speak. let alone shout - LOL! My hubby finds it ironic that I used capitals to write "no shouting" lol!
Attached File  15977787_10157923391315386_8398752461324434839_n.jpg   78.59KB   0 downloads

And finally, I've finished a few books and watched a few movies, so they've now been added to those spreads:

Attached File  15965583_10157923391310386_8493024861951575859_n.jpg   70.06KB   0 downloadsAttached File  16003151_10157923391300386_1616111962251008763_n.jpg   92.46KB   0 downloads

#26 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

Wow, Kell! They look great. :)

From the Bullet Journal website that Frankie linked to, I found this blog entry of the top BuJo ideas for 2016. There's a lot of inspiration there, if anyone's interested!

Frankie, that book looks awesome! :D 

#27 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

Great pages, Kell! :) 

Thanks Kylie for the link! I'll most likely be doing a very proper look at it today, as I'm off sick :D 

Kylie, isn't the hand lettering book cover gorgeous :wub: It should be great :yes: 

#28 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

I'd never heard of bullet journals before this thread, so I've been doing some investigating of my own both in the links posted here and just searching the web and I'm liking the look of them.  I know, however, that I'd start it really well and after a few weeks it'd be put in a drawer, never to see the light of day again!

You are very welcome! :D

Unfortunately, it seems to be unavailable new in the UK at the moment, but I did see that it's being re-released as part of a kit in September - https://www.watersto...g/9781633223417- so I think I may be adding it to my Christmas wishlist  :D

#29 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

It's available on BookDepository? :)  I do wonder what'll be inside the kit! 

Edit: From the publisher's website: "

This beautifully packaged, hardcover case is the perfect kit for any aspiring lettering artist! Get a handle on drawing elegant lettering the kit's 40-page project book, notecards, a slate board and easel, and all the implements any lettering artist would need.

We have pulled together the artistic talents of several professional hand letterers and calligraphers for a dynamic and interactive experience. They will be your guides as you make your journey through a myriad of projects and prompts.

Lettering has been steadily building steam as a new and trendy art form. Even if you're completely new to the discipline, with the provided tips, techniques, and materials, you will be completing project after project. In no time, you'll be experimenting with cursive script, getting your feet wet with calligraphy, and embellishing and illuminating hand-lettered artwork, just to name a few.

This all-in-one art guide is perfect for the artist in your life. The highly giftable kit brings everything an artist needs for a weekend of artistic fun, or a new skill for a lifetime.

Edited by frankie, 11 January 2017 - 06:04 PM.

#30 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

It's available on BookDepository? :)  I do wonder what'll be inside the kit! 

Oh yes!  I've never used them, and I didn't even look there.  I tried on Amazon, Waterstones and my local bookshop and all said unavailable so assumed it was UK wide.  Thanks for that, frankie :)

#31 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

You're most welcome! :) 

#32 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:03 AM

Oh boy... I've just ordered Creative Lettering and Beyond: Inspiring tips, techniques, and ideas for hand lettering your way to beautiful works of art by Gabri Joy Kirkendall et al.

I hope you enjoy this :).

A few more pages from mine:

Those are great pages, very inspirational :)!

From the Bullet Journal website that Frankie linked to, I found this blog entry of the top BuJo ideas for 2016. There's a lot of inspiration there, if anyone's interested!

That's a very inspirational link, thanks Kylie :)!

#33 Brian.

Brian.

This too shall pass

• Supporter
  • 1,966 posts
  • Reading now?:Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
  • LocationSE England

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

You got really, really lucky! :o For one thing, I couldn't find any LT1917's at the two bookstore chains we have here, and second, they cost quite a bit, don't they! Is it easy to find LT1917's over there, in bookstores?  

This reminds me: Do you keep your BuJo at home or do you guys take it everywhere you go, kind of like a calendar/journal? 

They are really easy to get the UK now, a lot of the big stationary chains have them in stock although the dot grid ones are a little harder to find than the standard lined ones.

I don't take mine everywhere, I still use my phone as a calendar and i use the Bujo to create daily/weekly/monthly to do lists to help stop my procrastination. I can't say it completely stops my procrastination but it definitely helps reduce it.

#34 chaliepud

chaliepud

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 4,670 posts
  • LocationLeafy Surrey

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

Mine stays at home too, it is A4 sized so would be too big for my handbag, I have a small diary I carry around with me, the Bujo is for weekly tasks and to record info/notes etc. Mine is a lined one as again far for practical for me, dots would drive me dotty! :D

#35 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

They are really easy to get the UK now, a lot of the big stationary chains have them in stock although the dot grid ones are a little harder to find than the standard lined ones.

You are so lucky! How much do they cost over there? I mean normally, when they're not on sale. 

I don't take mine everywhere, I still use my phone as a calendar and i use the Bujo to create daily/weekly/monthly to do lists to help stop my procrastination. I can't say it completely stops my procrastination but it definitely helps reduce it.

Mine's not stopped procrastination so far, but that's also because I've been sick... But it has definitely made me do some things I've been meaning to and having to do for ages but have put off doing! :) 

Mine stays at home too, it is A4 sized so would be too big for my handbag, I have a small diary I carry around with me, the Bujo is for weekly tasks and to record info/notes etc. Mine is a lined one as again far for practical for me, dots would drive me dotty! :D

Oh you went for a big one! :D Dotty :D I find the dots very exotic. I never knew there were notebooks with only dots. Had I seen them before, I would've totally wondered what the heck they were for! :o :D 

#36 Brian.

Brian.

This too shall pass

• Supporter
  • 1,966 posts
  • Reading now?:Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
  • LocationSE England

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

You are so lucky! How much do they cost over there? I mean normally, when they're not on sale. 

Mine's not stopped procrastination so far, but that's also because I've been sick... But it has definitely made me do some things I've been meaning to and having to do for ages but have put off doing! :)

Oh you went for a big one! :D Dotty :D I find the dots very exotic. I never knew there were notebooks with only dots. Had I seen them before, I would've totally wondered what the heck they were for! :o :D

They are normally in the region of £12 - £15, so approximately 12-17 Euros.

#37 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

They are normally in the region of £12 - £15, so approximately 12-17 Euros.

Hm... So even if they are easily attainable, they're not all too cheap. But not as pricey, either, as I thought they might be.... I have no idea what they would cost over here as I've not seem them at bookstores, as mentioned before. All I know is, if I ever catch a sight of them on sale, I'll buy them all :D I now know what they are worth....

#38 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:27 AM

I've been looking into the notebook prices over here, and an A5 Leuchtturm 1917 costs $40.

I'm thinking I might get one later in the year and give myself plenty of time to set it up for next year.

#39 anisia

anisia

Watch the Sky

• Supporter
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

I love bullet journals, I've kept one on and off for a couple of years. After reading the thread, I'm definitely updating mine this weekend! 

#40 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

I've been looking into the notebook prices over here, and an A5 Leuchtturm 1917 costs $40.

So that would be 28€, ouch! Rather pricey :(  I got mine for 27,50€ but that included postage. 

Which leads me to yesterday... I needed to go to the pharmacy to get a few things and as my brush pens hadn't arrived in the mail, I thought I'd pop in the bookstore to buy just a few so I could practice on the weekend. I saw Leuchtturm 1917s at the bookstore! So they do have them, just not on their online website. Oh they looked so pretty :wub: I wanted to buy one even though I wouldn't have use for it as I have my own now :blush: They cost 22,90€. 

I got a few brush pens and tried them and immediately thought, these are crappy pens, the lines are too thick! But then I gave them another try and realized that they are fine enough pens, I just press too hard :blush: I spent probably 30 minutes yesterday with the pens, if not 60 minutes. At one point I realized that I had best try and practice the fine lining, i.e., trying to write in fine line. That was really tricky :D It takes patience and you have to be concentrated and calm :D But I realized it's fun and it'll be a great new hobby. Especially as it might make me into more zen :D (Unless I have a fit and throw the pens out the window :D

I also did a small drawing of a cassette player the other day, for a BuJo page that had to do with music. I haven't drawn anything in ages and I'm not good at it, but it was fun! I might try doing some other things, too. It's fun to do it just for fun, and not be in class in school, the teacher breathing down your neck and never encouraging you, but always criticizing. 

I'm thinking I might get one later in the year and give myself plenty of time to set it up for next year.

That's an excellent idea! :smile2: 

I love bullet journals, I've kept one on and off for a couple of years. After reading the thread, I'm definitely updating mine this weekend!

Yay!!  :friends3:   If you'd like, please post pictures! :smile2: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users