Seeking a specific style of Book! (Setting/Character wise)

I just recently finished playing Dishonored, and the character relationship intrigued me. 

It's a ruler/bodyguard type of fiasco. I really enjoyed the concept, but it was not exactly flushed out being a game and I haven't a book I am currently reading so am hoping to find one with that similar sort of situation.

Someone being devoted entirely to the protection of another, and how that can be. In a Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Historical setting. One that centres on the development of such close characters whilst still having a plot. (I know awfully specific, but one can hope!) 

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to begin searching for such a specific sort of book. 

If anyone can point me in the right direction or offer some suggestions I would appreciate it! 

There is a similar situation in the interesting relationship between ZAP210 and Reith in The Pnume by Jack Vance. But it is the last one in a series of four books  (Planet Of Adventure) and it won't make much sense unless you read them all. Reith is an Earth spaceman lost on the planet Tschai, which is inhabited by four different alien races and their human slaves. He is forced to desperate measures.

Another similar relationship in Slaves Of The Klau by the same author.