Your Book Activity - April 2016

chesilbeach

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My god, it just dragged on and on with hardly any surprises- imo, nothing that made Rosemary's Baby or Stepford Wives great. There were no tricks. The fact I had almost every detail correct about the end at 52% was disheartening when I read the end. As far as the philosophy in it, I found it average and posed no questions that haven't already been explored- which is what I like about Levin, he looks at those simple humanistic questions in different ways. Too bad, but I will keep reading his material. And I still highly recommend SW and RB.

Ouch Anna! :lol: Poor Mr Levin.

I'm 40% of the way through Wuthering Heights. It's surprising me how quickly I'm racing through it.

I know right?! Shes cutting him no slack :P Avoid that one then - check! :D

Oooh is this your first reading of Wuthering Heights?

Nope, no slack for Ira :P. I still have Sliver and perhaps, Boys of Brazil to get through.

I have now reached the critical time for a readaholic with insomnia- it's 1:00 and I'm at a big event in We the Living...and at 50% on the dot!!

My next read is going to be Philip K. Dick - Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said.

That will be mine as well :)

I received a book in the mail today: Uncle Silas by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. Been wanting this for ages. The edition that arrived is not what I ordered...it's even better! I thought I'd be getting an older-style Wordsworth edition with a mostly red cover, but I got a more recent one from the black (with red 'blood') 'Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural' series. Very happy. :)

And another book I ordered has been shipped and will hopefully arrive tomorrow: Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. I read The Yellow Wallpaper by her a few years ago and loved it, and while looking up stuff online about my current read, A Strange Manuscript Found in a Copper Cylinder, I discovered that Gilman had written a similar utopian novel, but set on a female-only island where men are not needed for reproduction. Should be good!

I finished The Ice Twins. I don't get even remotely what all the fuss about it is for. I thought it was pretty terrible. Awful characters, senseless actions, no creepiness. Sure anyway. it was a quick easy read.

Reading Behind Closed Doors now by B. A. Paris. It's intriguing so far. Not going to be anything amazing I don't think but possibly enjoyable.

I finished The Ice Twins. I don't get even remotely what all the fuss about it is for. I thought it was pretty terrible. Awful characters, senseless actions, no creepiness. Sure anyway. it was a quick easy read.

Hmm...I have this on my TBR... :blush2:

I only bought it because I liked the name and it was cheap in the charity shop! Will give it a go at some point when my expectations are low. :D

Hahah that's not so bad so! I hope you like it more than I did!

I've given up on One Hundred Years of Solitude for the moment.  I can get my head around the characters and keep forgetting who they all are and how they are related, although the story isn't gripping, it's rolling along nicely, but I just keep getting confused who everyone is.   I might try and come back to it and start again making a note of all the characters as I go along and see how I get on, but for now, it's gone to the bottom of the pile. :(

Instead, I've started Jamaica Inn and I love it!  :smile2:

Earlier this morning (see above :P ), I finished Ayn Rand's stunning, We the Living. Now, on to some of Phillip K Dick's madness with Gaia, a little 200 page one.

I've given up on One Hundred Years of Solitude for the moment.  I can get my head around the characters and keep forgetting who they all are and how they are related, although the story isn't gripping, it's rolling along nicely, but I just keep getting confused who everyone is.   I might try and come back to it and start again making a note of all the characters as I go along and see how I get on, but for now, it's gone

:( This makes me sad!

:( This makes me sad!

I probably will try it again ... maybe I just need to start it when I'm on my own or on holiday when I can properly concentrate on all the similar sounding names, instead of in an office full of people on my lunch break :dunno:

I just finished reading "Ordinary Grace" by William Kent Krueger. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will give it a 9/10 rating. I keep thinking of the book even after finishing the read.

Next up is Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman.

Another night of insomnia brought an end to Phillip K Dick's Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. There is a free short story available at Amazon by PKD and it's a good example of his work- but his material is weird and a little edgy, so (see my thread for review) be warned.

Now, I still want something strange and different, so I am reading samples today.