Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2016

Little Pixie

Wow, I really thought it was a trilogy, wrapping up the story. I own the first 2 books but I haven't read them yet as I often wait until I have all the books before I read a trilogy. I hope you enjoy the 4th book :).

:D  Though boo - having to wait a whole year for the book to come out. 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D  Though boo - having to wait a whole year for the book to come out.

Awww, that's quite some time away.

Just back from acupuncture - and I had physio for my neck yesterday, the last session of three. Feeling a bit better thankfully, but now I just can`t settle on a book to read, and my TBR of 800+ seems too small.  :hide:

I hope you can find a book you feel like reading, soon :empathy:.

Time to get up to date :

#79   The Last Word - Lisa Lutz

#80   Quieter than Sleep - Joanne Dobson

#81   The Puzzled Heart - Amanda Cross

#82   Happier at Home - Gretchen Rubin   Excellent ! The follow-up to The Happiness Project. Motivational memoir, dealing with little things you can do to make your life better.

#83  No Bed for Bacon - Caryl Brahms, SJ Simon

#84   Collected short fiction - Ngaio Marsh

#85   Close Quarters - Michael Gilbert

#86   Better than Before - Gretchen Rubin     This looks at the psychology behind good and bad habits. The stand out tip for me was, there`s never a right time to start anything ( ie, don`t wait for Jan 1st, or a Birthday or a Monday, or the 1st of the Month,etc, before starting something. ) I did a 3-day fast fore health right after reading this. :)

#87   The Drill is death - Richard and Frances Lockridge.   British poet at NY University finds the body of a girl in his taxi. He doesn`t recognise her, but it turns out she was in one of his classes... and has told everyone that they`re dating. The `Police` turn up at his flat asking him to make another statement, but they turn out to be kidnapping him, to make it look like he`s fleeing the scene and must be guilty. Who`s setting him up and why ? A really fun mystery from 1961.

#88   Wallflower at the Orgy - Nora Ephron

#89   Death lights a candle - Phoebe Atwood Taylor

#90   Great Black Kanba - Constance and Gwenyth Little    1944 Screwball comedy murder mystery. An American woman wakes up on an Australian train with a bump on her head. She has amnesia but doesn`t feel she can trust anyone enough to tell them.  Who is she, why is she on the train, who are the people claiming to be her relatives and why is she wearing such awful clothes ?? Great fun.

#91   Him Her Him again The end of Him - Patricia Marx

#92   Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen   Memoir. English professor has bad accident.. and her husband leaves her for a man called Bob. Suddenly she can`t keep up the mortgage on her new home, and goes back home to be looked after by her parents, who are Mennonites ( like Amish, but with electricity ). Endearing portrait. 

#93   The Semester of our Discontent - Cynthia Kuhn

And - finally ! :blush2:  - my 2015 picks. 

In no particular order...

Hanged for a Sheep - Richard and Frances Lockridge  It`s difficult to pick just one of the Mr & Mrs North books, but this one was especially memorable. New Yorker Pam North - and her cats - go to visit Aunt Flora, who says that someone`s trying to kill her. But it`s not rich old Aunt Flora who ends up dead...

Austenland - Shannon Hale   New Yorker Jane is obsessed with all things Austen; when her Aunt leaves her a trip to an immersive  Jane Austen- themed trip, hilarity ensues. 

My Korean Deli - Ben Ryder Howe     Memoir.  Writer for George Plimpton`s Paris Review buys his in-laws a Korean deli in in Brooklyn, and ends up working there himself. Funny, touching culture-clash book.

Alpine for You -  Maddy Hunter  Hilarious. Emily accompagnies her Grandma and a group of Iowan seniors on a trip to Switzerland.. and it`s not long before there`s a murder. Very clever whodunnit, but the real joy is in all the funny situations which Emily gets into.

Timebound - Rysa Walker  Excellent time travel romp . Kate`s Grandmother gives her a mysterious pendant.. and suddenly everything Kate knew is wrong, and her Grandmother isn`t at all who she thought she was. This was a book I gave as gifts last year, together 

with...

The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin  Memoir and self-help book. Each month, Gretchen Rubin follows a different resolution in order to feel happier. Engaging. 

Strange Weather in Tokyo - Hiromi Kawakami     30-something Tsukiko is drinking in a Tokyo bar when she bumps into a teacher from her old high school. Both loners, they end up meeting again and become good friends. Beautiful, gentle romance.

The Immortal Collection - Eva  Garcia Saenz   A Spanish archaeologist gets a job in a Museum and discovers that her boss isn`t quite normal... It`s a bit of a potboiler, but a real page-turner. 

Just one damned thing after another - Jodi Taylor.    Fun time travel romp.

Sneaky Pie for President - Rita Mae Brown.    Politics from the point of view of the animals. I laughed and even cried. 

Edited by Little Pixie

Almost 100 books :D!

I'm interested in the Gretchen Rubin books, great to hear you liked them so much :).

Yes ! Only a few more books to go to hit triple figures !  :D

I think the Gretchen Rubin books are brilliant, but she does seem quite polarising. Looking at the reviews, some people just don`t like the books at all.  :shrug:

Yes ! Only a few more books to go to hit triple figures !  :D

Please do post when you reach triple figures :D.

I think the Gretchen Rubin books are brilliant, but she does seem quite polarising. Looking at the reviews, some people just don`t like the books at all.  :shrug:

That's good to know :).

#94   Simon Said - Sarah R Shaber

A nice read, though I did guess one of the persons ` whatdunnit`. Professor of History Simon Shaw - small, Jewish, likes cats, recovering from nervous breakdown - is asked to look at a 50 yr old crime scene discovered during archaeological digs at a Southern US Museum. He manages to identify the victim through his previous research and is sucked into the case. But why is a decades-old murder now affecting his life... and safety ? The book covers the old case and a brand new case, dealing with the history of the area. A gentle read, and I came to really like the people in it. :)

#95   The Monogram Murders - Sophie Hannah

The new `Agatha Christie`s Poirot` book. Try as I might, I can`t decide if I liked it or not.  :shrug:

It gets off to a good start : London, 1929. Poirot is having a meal in a small cafe, when a scared woman rushes in, claiming that she`s going to be murdered. She refuses to let anyone call the Police and leaves. The same day, Catchpool of Scotland Yard is called to the Bloxham Hotel where three murders have been committed. The victims are posed on the floor, each with the same monogrammed cufflink on their bodies. Catchpool and Poirot join forces to solve the murders. 

I was drawn into the mystery, right until there was massive info dump, which seemed to solve most of the crime. I enjoyed the prose and the humour ; I`m just not sold on the plotting at all. 

I'll be here cheering for you :D:giggle2:

Aw.  :D

Shame about the Sophie Hannah book, it sounded like a nice premise. 

It got off to such a good start, so it was disappointing to have such a complicated ending where I thought ` Wait - so what really happened then ??`. There`s a second new Poirot coming out ; I`ll be interested in it, but only if I can get it cheaply ( :blush2: ). I got The Monogram Murders for free - each month, if you have a subscription for The Times newspaper, you can download a free book ( of their choice ).  :smile:

I hope you enjoy them all :D. Will you post a list once you have them?

I`ll list them now, and post pics once they`ve all arrived ( some from the US, so it`ll be a while ). 

Lost Lake - Sarah Addison Allen

Immortal in Death, Vengeance in Death, Rapture in Death, Ceremony in Death,Glory in Death, Holiday in Death - JD Robb

Does this Church make me look fat ? - Rhoda Janzen

Fundraising the Dead - Sheila Connolly

Catalogue of Death, Bookmarked to Die - Jo Dereske

The Passover Murder - Lee Harris

Kaaterskills Falls - Allegra Goodman

Grime and Punishment - Jill Churchill

Killer Librarian - Mary Lou Kirwin

The Best of Pat McDermott, Australian Women`s Weekly Columns

Speaking in Bones - Kathy Recihs

The Black Paw, The Black Dream- Constance & Gwenyth Little

Kickboxing Geishas - Veronica Chambers

Wedding Cake Murder - Joanne Fluke