Favorite Picture Books

Lara

I tutor reading, and because of that I've read a quite a large amount of picture books with my student. It has got me thinking about how many beautiful, quality children's books there are out there. What are some of your favorite picture books? Either from when you where young or that you've come across lately.

With a little bit of thought, some of my favorites are:

The Little House - Virginia Lee Burton

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - Bill Martin Jr

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - Judi Barrett

Very Last First Time - Jan Andrews

The Giving Tree - Shel Silverstein

Oh, The Places You'll Go - Dr. Seuss

Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak

Make Way For Ducklings - Robert McCloskey

Blueberries for Sal - Robert McCloskey

The Monster at the End of This Book - Jon Stone

I don't really read picture books (I give plenty to my niece as gifts, but her parents read them to her ;)). But from your list I love The Giving Tree and The Monster at the End of This Book. :D

I love the illustrations in Winnie the Pooh. Ooh, and I remember loving Wombat Stew by Marcia Vaughan. Graeme Base is a wonderful Australian author and illustrator of books such as Animalia and The Eleventh Hour.

During my childhood in the 80s, popular in the Netherlands were 'Nijntje' books by Dick Bruna (Miffy in English?) and Winnie the Pooh. One of my favourites was the Paddington Bear series which unfortunately was less popular here. Very popular howere were also the Jip and Janneke series, loved the black and white drawings, somehow as a child, I forgot they weren't in colour when listening to the teacher reading their stories to us and then showing us the drawings in the book. Also loved in the Netherlands were the Ot en Sien series, those drawings are still lovely today, but I guess Dora and the Teletubbies have taken over everything nowadays.  :dunno:

A more recent book I love for both the storytelling and the drawings is 'The very persistent Gappers of Frip' by George Saunders.