Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

I don't normally post about this, but reading about Claire's anniversary made me realise that a few days ago it was my 3rd year anniversary on BCF (I joined in 2013).

Happy anniversary!

Walter Moers - Zamonië 1: De 13 ½ Levens van Kap’tein Blauwbeer (Zamonien 1: Die 13½ Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär)

Hooray!! I love love love this book. :D

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and 'capitalism vs. communism', which I thought was interesting (if that makes sense).

I didn't even think about that.  Grant is very subtle with his "in between the lines".  Like the Sam/ Caine thing. 

I didn't even think about that.  Grant is very subtle with his "in between the lines".  Like the Sam/ Caine thing.

Sorry, I didn't mention it sooner! I thought it was interesting and that's true, he is subtle. Very true! That was clever.

I got some new books! For pictures, see below.

I got my library reservations :exc: :

John Flanagan - Broederband 5: De Schorpioenberg (Brotherband 5: Scorpion Mountain)

Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 3: Nightrise (The Power of Five 3: Nightrise)

Walter Moers - Zamonië 1: De 13 ½ Levens van Kap’tein Blauwbeer (Zamonien 1: Die 13½ Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär)

I got another free book from that book case of Terre des Hommes, in exchange for several of my own books that I left there:

Agatha Christie - Superintendent Battle 1: The Secret of Chimneys

And I saw Terre des Hommes (charity shop) was selling a collection of SF books. It was 2 for 1 euro. I decided to take the whole collection, they were all published by the same publisher and have the same style covers. The lady at the counter gave me a great discount, she said it was because I bought books there so often :D :

Robert L. Asprin - De Tzen Oorlog (The Bug Wars)

John Crowley - Beesten (Beasts)

John Brunner - De Telepaat (Telepathist)

Bob Shaw - De Kinderen van Medusa (Medusa's Children)

Bob Shaw - De Ceresdreiging (The Ceres Solution)

E. C. Tubb - Dumarest Saga 1: Gath (Dutch) (Dumarest of Terra 1: The Winds of Gath)

E. C. Tubb - Dumarest Saga 2: Derai (Dutch) (Dumarest of Terra 2: Derai)

E. C. Tubb - Dumarest Saga 8: Dumarest Saga 8: Verousjka (Dutch) (Dumarest of Terra 8: Veruchia)

E. C. Tubb - Dumarest Saga 3: De Tiran Van Toy (Dumarest of Terra 3: Toyman)

Vonya McIntyre - Kamp Schroef Kop e. a. Verhalen (Fireflood; Spectra; Wings; The Mountains of Sunset, the Mountains of Dawn; The End's Beginning; Screwtop; Only at Night; Recourse, Inc.; The Genius Freaks; Aztecs)

Vonda McIntyre - De Banneling (The Exile Waiting)

Vonda McIntyre - Droomslang (Dreamsnake)

Marion Zimmer Bradley - Darkover: De Rode Zon (The Bloody Sun)

Orson Scott Card - Wereld Van Verraad (A Planet Called Treason)

Orson Scott Card - Worthing 2: De Laatste God (Worthing 2: Hot Sleep, the Worthing Chronicle)

Joe Haldeman - Al Mijn Zonden (All My Sins Remembered)

Joe Haldeman - Onbegrensde Dromen (Infinite Dreams: Counterpoint; Anniversary Project; The Mazel Tov Revolution; To Howard Hughes: A Modest Proposal; A Mind of his Own; All the Universe in a Mason Jar; The Private War of Private Jacob; A Time to Live; Juryrigged; Truth to Tell; 26 Days, on Earth; Armaja Das; Tricentennial)

Robert A. Heinlein - The World as Myth: Het Getal van het Beest (The Number of the Beast)

LibraryReservations_0.25.jpg

NewBookTdHFreeTrade_0.25.jpg

The following book covers are under a spoiler tag. They are '80s book covers that feature painted pictures of naked ladies. Don't look if you think it might offend you.

NewBooksTdHCovers1_0.50.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers2_0.50.jpg

DSC04182_0.25.jpg

I read Trudi Canavan - The Age of the Five 2: Last of the Wilds. I think overall I liked this book more than the first. The book seemed a bit faster paced and had some interesting characters and plot developments. I quite enjoyed reading it and I can hardly wait to start on book 3. First though I will read my three library reservations, which I am excited to read too. Then, hopefully I'll finish them a few days before the read-a-thon in the beginning of February, then I can squeeze book 3 in (Voice of the Gods).

I read Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 3: Nightrise (The Power of Five 3: Nightrise). I had read books 4, 5, 1 and 2 (in that order). It was good to read the remaining book 3, to tie up the story together. Reading the books in this order wasn't ideal, but gladly the author has made it so you can start with any book in the series (things that have happened are slowly put in as background information, sort of thing.), in a good way. I quite enjoyed reading this last book (though part of me still really wants to read book 3 of The Age of the Five :giggle2:, see above post. But library loans first and I am excited about them also).

I'm thinking about moving some of my shelves with books on them (I mean move the books, not the shelves themselves!). If / when that is done, I will post photos.

I'm curious, do you prefer reading in Dutch over English or do you not really have a preference?

I do have a preference. If the book is originally written in Dutch, then I prefer to read it in Dutch. If the book was originally written in English, then I prefer to read the English. If the book was written in a different language than those two, then it depends on the type / genre of the book. Of course the translation should always be a good one. I generally find translations (of Dutch from English) less objectionable and better if the original book was a children's or a young-adult book. I think because the sentences in those books are usually shorter and less complex.

I own both Dutch and English books, and sometimes it's easier for me to buy a certain language book over another. I tend to find more Dutch books in certain shops and the library here (seeing as I live in the Netherlands), and when I can buy a Dutch translation of an English book that I'm interested in, for cheap (or as a library loan if I'm in the mood for it right then), then I will go for it. Most of my English books I order online. Especially books by some of my favourite English and American authors, I prefer to read in English since I've always read them in English and I love their writing style. Though I'm sure the translations would be good too. Many books though aren't translated into Dutch so then I have to get the English version.

I have to say, I wouldn't want to solely read one or the other language. I like reading some of both, I like that mixture. When I was a child and teenager, I read mainly Dutch (obviously), then I gradually started to read more English. When I became a member of the library and also started to find more bargains (and needed to pay more attention to money), I then read more Dutch than in the past few years (but still a lot of English too). Now, I tend to read a mixture of both. Generally especially genres like fantasy and science-fiction I prefer to read in English (if the original was English), because the terms (like magic, swordfighting, technology) just don't sound as good in Dutch, but when I find a bargain I won't pass it up, even if it's in Dutch. Usually, once I'm into the story, I will want to continue reading it even if its language isn't my preference. I don't like bad translations though. On occasion I can tell what the English phrase was supposed to be, because it was for example translated too literally or just plain wrong. That takes me out of the story.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! My other Dutch friend (the one I tagged you in a post on FB with a few weeks back) is actually a translator. she translated English movies and tv shows into Dutch (subtitles). Every so often she has a little issue when something isn't really able to be translated exactly and we talk about it and try to get the best possible translation.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! My other Dutch friend (the one I tagged you in a post on FB with a few weeks back) is actually a translator. she translated English movies and tv shows into Dutch (subtitles). Every so often she has a little issue when something isn't really able to be translated exactly and we talk about it and try to get the best possible translation.

That's pretty cool :)!

I re-organised some of my book shelves. For anyone who's interested, the new photos are near the beginning of this thread, starting here. It was lots of fun to re-organise these shelves. I love doing that. It'll probably take me a while to get used to the new layout, but it's nice to see some different books to the front that were first to the back and vice versa.

I re-organised some of my book shelves. For anyone who's interested, the new photos are near the beginning of this thread, starting here. It was lots of fun to re-organise these shelves. I love doing that. It'll probably take me a while to get used to the new layout, but it's nice to see some different books to the front that were first to the back and vice versa.

Wow, Gaia, they are gorgeous!  I hope my shelves look that good :blush2:  What I think is so amazing is that there is even more books behind the books you can see.  It's a beautiful thing :)  Something to be proud of, for sure :)

Wow, Gaia, they are gorgeous!  I hope my shelves look that good :blush2:  What I think is so amazing is that there is even more books behind the books you can see.  It's a beautiful thing :)  Something to be proud of, for sure :)

Thanks :)! I wish I had the space to display some more of my books as single rows, but I am very lucky to have this much space as it is so :). Thank you :friends0:!

Do you know precisely how many books you own? (Sorry if you wrote the figure somewhere and I missed it!)

No, I don't think I posted it in this thread. Well, I don't know on top off my head, since the number goes up all the time :lol:. I have all my books catalogued in Book Collector, except for the ones that are still missing (they must be up the attic somewhere, I hope to find them soon). I didn't catalogue my university / school books (non-fiction). Currently I have 4621 physical books if you exclude those uncatalogued, and currently 566 ebooks, mainly for my Kindle (I think most of those were freebies). There are many books I haven't read yet :blush2:. But then a new release comes out or I find a great bargain and I can't help myself :D. But then, I read 500 books last year so maybe it's allowed to invest in the future :P.

I read John Flanagan - Broederband 5: De Schorpioenberg (Brotherband 5: Scorpion Mountain). It was enjoyable, the story took a bit of time to get going but especially the last part of it was quite suspenseful. I found out there will be a book 6 in the series, so that's exciting.

Wow, wow, wow!! Amazing. I've just looked at all your bookshelf pictures and am stunned. Is there room in your house for others things? .. like a bed? :D 

Very neat and organised too .. you've done a great job Gaia :)

Thanks, Kay :D! Yes, but not in that specific room :P. Most of those book shelves are in my old room. We now live in the bakery, which is a seperate little house next to the farm (where my old room is). I have some books in the bakery but most are in my old room. The 'TBR-soon' shelves are next to my desk and the 'read-a-thon' shelves are also in the bakery, next to the TV. Thanks :)!

Thanks, Kay :D! Yes, but not in that specific room :P. Most of those book shelves are in my old room. We now live in the bakery, which is a seperate little house next to the farm (where my old room is). I have some books in the bakery but most are in my old room. The 'TBR-soon' shelves are next to my desk and the 'read-a-thon' shelves are also in the bakery, next to the TV. Thanks :)!

Ah .. that makes sense. This is what I need .. a separate house to put some of my books in :D It's nice to be surrounded by books isn't it? I get panicky in other people's houses if they have shelves and cabinets without books on. It seems odd to me but then they probably come here and think all my book clutter is odd  :blush2: 

Is that wallpaper on your walls Gaia or have they been sponged? Looks lovely anyway and I love all the painted door frames etc :)