Read-a-thon - 2016

Athena

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may actually join you. I have two books I want to get through pretty quickly. I might do three out of the next four nights, like I did last weekend :D

That sounds good :D! If you do, I wish you lots of fun :).

I'm out, I just can't concentrate long enough to read a thon this weekend. Sorry Gaia...

I understand, it's okay :friends0:. I hope you will feel better soon :empathy:

I'm in, I think. As long as I can settle on a book, that is. I need a good weekend of reading to take my mind off things.

I hope you have fun reading this weekend :readingtwo::).

Here's my progress for yesterday:

Thursday 09-06-2016

45 mins, 130 pages, Ann M. Martin - The Babysitters Club 45: Kristy and the Baby Parade (re-read)

45 mins, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 46: Inge Mist Tim! (The Babysitters Club 46: Mary Anne Misses Logan (re-read)

45 mins, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub Mystery 1: Petra en de Verdwenen Ring (The Babysitters Club Mystery 1: Stacey and the Missing Ring) (re-read)

1h 15 mins, 138 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 29: De Cock en de Moord in Brons

20 mins, 38 pages, Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Horrible Histories: Even More Terrible Tudors

Total: 3h 50 mins, 554 pages

I wasn't unhappy with my progress, I didn't start reading until later in the day so I didn't expect to read 4.2 books. I plan to do lots more reading today, we'll see how it goes. So far I'm having fun :).

I didn't spend much time reading last night so my progress for day 1 is:

The Butterfly Garden - Dot Hutchison (61 pages)

Not great, but hopefully I'll do better!

*jumps up and down*

I'm going to join this weekend, too :) I'm over the cold/flu, but I'm still feeling a bit weak so I want to spend the weekend recuperating and reading :smile2: The weather's awful, too, so I don't fancy going out. I would've joined yesterday already, but I had a headache. 

Happy reading, everyone!  :readingtwo:

I'm going to join this weekend, too :) I'm over the cold/flu, but I'm still feeling a bit weak so I want to spend the weekend recuperating and reading :smile2: The weather's awful, too, so I don't fancy going out. I would've joined yesterday already, but I had a headache. 

Happy reading, everyone!  :readingtwo:

Great to hear you'll be joining us : ). Happy reading, Frankie :readingtwo:!

Day 2: 136 pages of The Butterfly Garden :P

Going well! I hope you're having fun reading :) (though, fun isn't exactly the word used to describe this type of book).

My progress for yesterday:

Friday 10-06-2016

1h, 89 pages, Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Horrible Histories: Even More Terrible Tudors

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 17: Het Spook van de Metro (Il Fantasma del Metrò)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 27: Een Muizenissige Vakantie (Quella Stratopica Vacanza Alle Pensione Mirasorci...)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 32: Het Geheim van Kerstmis (Il Mistero Degli Elfi)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 35: Geheim Agent Nul Nul K (Agente Segeto Zero Zero Kappa)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 69: Bombarie in Brazilië (Grosso Guaio in Mato Grosso)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Groene Reeks 5: Muis Overboord! (Allarme... Topo in Mare!)

Total: 3h, 857 pages

In total I read more pages than on Wednesday but less hours. I was feeling quite tired for part of the day, so while I had the time to read more, I instead spent the time resting because I didn't feel I had enough energy to read (I also wanted to conserve my energy for going to the library in the evening). Later in the afternoon surprisingly things got better (usually it's the other way around, I usually feel the best in the morning and worse in the afternoon and evening), so I was able to do some reading. I also went to the library in the evening for 'Night of the Library', where I bought lots of nice books (more on that in my thread at a later time).

I'm sure you're done, can't wait to hear what you thought!

Day 3:

47 pages of To Be Or Not To Be - A Chooseable Path Adventure - Ryan North

67 pages of The Butterfly Garden (complete) :P

It was okay. I thought the pacing and back-and-forth spoiled any semblance of 'thrill' about it. Messed up, sure, but I'm not easily affected by that kind thing in fiction.

Must decide what to spend the rest of the evening reading now!

Day 3:

67 pages of The Butterfly Garden (complete) :P

Nice progress, Noll :). Did you read anything else in the evening?

Saturday 11-06-2016

15 mins, 45 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Het Boekje over Geluk (Il Piccolo Libro della Felicità)

45 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 5: De Verborgen Stad (La Città Segreta)

2h 20 mins, 720 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia IX: De Fenomenale Reis (Grande Ritorno nel Regno della Fantasia)

1h 10 mins, 384 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia X (Nono Viaggio nel Regno della Fantasia)

Total: 4h 30 mins, 1373 pages

Overall I had a good reading day :).

To those who have joined me, have fun reading today :readingtwo::)!

Nice progress, Noll :). Did you read anything else in the evening?

I did! My total progress for Day 3:

67 pages of The Butterfly Garden - Dot Hutchison (complete) 

104 pages of The Lie Tree - Frances Hardinge

Total for day 3: 218 pages whoop!

I am actually going to do a day 4 today, as I'm loving The Lie Tree and hope to charge through it.

Well done on your progress Gaia and Frankie :)

You read a lot :). Do you like the book so far?

Either my cold from last weekend's back with vengeance or I've caught a flu, either way my throat's very sore and I'm feeling awful since yesterday. Last night I went to bed really early to read and go to sleep, and then I couldn't get any sleep. So that's why I read 197 pages all in one go :D:rolleyes: I don't even like the book, but I want to finish it and know what happens. :D 

It's already past 4 PM today and I've not read anything, I've just taken a long long nap. Might read later tonight. I might continue the read-a-thon all on my own as I'm not able to go to work tomorrow or the day after... 

You guys have done some great reading, well done Athena and Nollaig! :smile2:   

Either my cold from last weekend's back with vengeance or I've caught a flu, either way my throat's very sore and I'm feeling awful since yesterday. Last night I went to bed really early to read and go to sleep, and then I couldn't get any sleep. So that's why I read 197 pages all in one go :D:rolleyes: I don't even like the book, but I want to finish it and know what happens. :D

Eugh, that's horrible. Hope you feel better. That feeling of not liking a book but wanting to finish/know what happens is the bane of my reading life! The crap I read sometimes just to get to the end :roll:

Day 1: The Butterfly Garden - Dot Hutchison (61 pages)

Day 2: The Butterfly Garden (136 pages)

Day 3: To Be Or Not To Be - A Chooseable Path Adventure - Ryan North (47)

67 pages of The Butterfly Garden

104 pages of The Lie Tree - Frances Hardinge

Day 4: 306 pages of The Lie Tree

That's terribly laid out, but the point is:

Total pages: 721

Total books (complete reading): 2

Total books (inc. part read): 3

Pretty happy with that! 

Well done on your progress Gaia and Frankie :)

Thanks Noll :). You too!

It's already past 4 PM today and I've not read anything, I've just taken a long long nap. Might read later tonight. I might continue the read-a-thon all on my own as I'm not able to go to work tomorrow or the day after... 

You guys have done some great reading, well done Athena and Nollaig! :smile2:

Awww, I'm so sorry you've been feeling bad :flowers2:. I'm glad you're having fun reading at least :). I hope you feel better soon. Thanks :)!

That's terribly laid out, but the point is:

Total pages: 721

Total books (complete reading): 2

Total books (inc. part read): 3

Pretty happy with that!

Well done! I'm glad you had lots of fun reading :).

Sunday 12-06-2016

1h 20 mins, 223 pages, Jeff Kinney - Het Leven van een Loser 8: Gedumpt (Diary of a Wimpy Kid 8: Hard Luck)

30 mins, 220 pages, Lincoln Peirce - Niek de Groot 4: Niek de Groot Kladt Erop Los (Big Nate Goes For Broke)

30 mins, 92 pages, Sebastien Perez and Benjamin Lacombe - Superhelden Lusten Geen Spruitjes (Les Super-héros Détestent les Artichauts)

20 mins, 92 pages, Michael Morpurgo (ill. Catherine Rayner) - Clare and her Captain

45 mins, 174 pages, Kate Pankhurst - Mariella Mystery 7: Mariella Mystery Investigates The Disappearing Dinner Lady

Total: 3h 35 mins, 801 pages

I read a lot of pages, due to books with lots of illustrations and little text. I didn't spend as long reading as normally (normally it's between 4 - 5 hours in total), but I was happy I finished off the books I had planned to read for the read-a-thon.

Total this read-a-thon: 14h 55 mins, 3585 pages, 20 books read

Overall pretty good progress, I'm happy with it :).

Frankie, if you continue the read-a-thon, I wish you lots of fun :)!

Wow guys, you are flying through books! Well done :D 

Eugh, that's horrible. Hope you feel better. That feeling of not liking a book but wanting to finish/know what happens is the bane of my reading life! The crap I read sometimes just to get to the end :roll:

Thanks Nollaig! I wish we could just stop reading crap :D But we've got curious minds... It can't be helped :(

Awww, I'm so sorry you've been feeling bad :flowers2:. I'm glad you're having fun reading at least :). I hope you feel better soon. Thanks :)!
Frankie, if you continue the read-a-thon, I wish you lots of fun :)!

Thanks Athena! I don't think I'll continue with the read-a-thon with a read-a-thon mindset, that is, trying to do nothing but reading, but I think I will see that if it happens, I'll record the pages, just for the hell of it. I ain't got nothing else to do while I'm sick :D

Sunday: 143 pages of The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty (thus finishing the novel)

10 pages of The Vintage Springtime Club by Beatrice Meier 

Thanks Athena :) I have to say, these last two read-a-thons have helped me realize how much I do love reading and that I've not been doing enough of it in the past few years. I mean, I've only mostly read before bedtime, but now I've been reading in the day and evening instead of being online or watching TV. It's made me realize how much more I can read if I could just get offline :D 

Very happy about our read-a-thons! This was such a great idea, Athena :smile2:  :flowers2: