Your Book Activity - September 2015

Athena

Myself, Nollaig, and Karsa have all read The Silence recently so it would have been any of us, or all of us. :lol: It's a pretty decent read, isn't it?

Yup, it was probably one of us.

I think all of us (except maybe Karsa, not sure?) had a couple of issues with it, but overall really enjoyed it.

I haven't been reading much the last few days, I've had other things going on. Need to make sure I don't let my mojo get away!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....I've gotten about 30% through The Silence by Tim Lebbon.  I wish I could remember who it was that recommended it to me....on here it was.  It's taken me a long time to start it.

It was me, I think :smile:   Unless you don't like it, in which case it was bobs :giggle2:

I finished re-reading David B. Coe - The LonTobyn Chronicle 1: Children of Amarid (review will be posted at a later time, I don't feel like typing it now :blush2: but I have written it by hand) which I enjoyed quite a bit, but I didn't quite feel in the mood for a fantasy book (I'll read the second and third books when I feel more in the mood for them). I started Benjamin Alire Saénz - Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, a book that features Mexicans and homosexuality. Apparently it has won a lot of awards and has received a lot of praise, and so far I'm liking it.

Finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo earlier today, after absolutely romping through it after suffering the slow start. It was just as good as I remembered and I'm looking forward to getting into the sequels (which might be at a later date--I'm going to wait for my girlfriend to catch up reading the first in the series).

I used my loyalty card points yesterday, and bought a signed copy of A Brush With The Coast by Sasha Harding, who is an artist who walked the South West Coast Path and the book is a journal of her walks with her beautiful paintings illustrating it.  It's gorgeous! :wub:

I've also started reading Inn At The Top by Neil Hanson :)

After finishing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I decided to start another one of the 2015 Man Booker nominations. Out of the three left, I decided to have a go with Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread. Found myself with a bit of time earlier and have made a good start. So far pretty good, definitely didn't expect it to be this funny.

Edited by Ben

Myself, Nollaig, and Karsa have all read The Silence recently so it would have been any of us, or all of us. :lol: It's a pretty decent read, isn't it?

Yes, I'm really glad to be reading it.  BTW, husband is reading it as well, and is actually ahead of me.  :D

It was me, I think :smile:   Unless you don't like it, in which case it was bobs :giggle2:

:roll:  :lol:  Natch!

:lol: That sounds about right. :D

Finished Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor (which I loved and will definitely be reading more in the series) and Lady of Devices by Shelly Adina today. :D

I loved Just One Damned Thing After Another and bought the others (that were out at the time), but I just haven't got around to reading them.

The Stand is a bit full-on so I'm having a break from it and reading You Let Me Go by Clare Mackintosh. It's going ok, but I seem to remember someone saying there was a massive twist so I'm constantly trying to guess what it is. :doh:

Also I passed my exam on Wednesday, but have worked out that I need to read (and understand) 300 pages every week of my textbooks to be ready for the next exams. :doh: :doh:

I loved Just One Damned Thing After Another and bought the others (that were out at the time), but I just haven't got around to reading them.

I think it first sparked my interest when you and (I think it was) Willoyd reviewed it at about the same time, and then Alexi more recently loved it too, so I'd never have come across it otherwise - it was such good fun!  I'm about to buy the next couple as well. Always the dilemma though, do I buy them all while they're relatively cheap, and risk that the series doesn't go off the boil for me, or do I just buy the next couple and see how they go, and then find that they've shot up in price!!! (This has happened to me before, with the Amelia Peabody series, which when I first found them were only 84p each, and it's quite a big series of over 20 books, but I wanted to wait as they might not have lived up to the beginning, and now they're all back up to about £6 each, but I love all the ones I've read :doh:)

^ They do seem to be fairly cheap at the moment, so like you say maybe it's best to buy the next few and see how you find them.

I've just finished I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. Woah, what a read. :thud: I read the last third in one sitting. Compelling, but not easy reading.

I've just finished I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. Woah, what a read. :thud: I read the last third in one sitting. Compelling, but not easy reading.

That book had one of the best twists I've ever read. But I had some issues with the end. Glad you enjoyed it, very good book :)

I finished Lauren Oliver's Delirium trilogy.  I thought it was awful.  Review of Requiem and overall review in my thread :unsure:

Started Robert K Massie's Nicholas and Alexandra this evening.  Needed a palate cleanser.

I've put Inn At The Top aside for the moment.  I thought it would be more about the actual customers and be about the people, but after the first few chapters, it's veered off into the history of the Dales and farming, which I'm not in the mood for.  I'm about halfway through, and might come back to it later when I feel more inclined for that sort of book.

Decided to start Perfect Girl by Michele Gorman next, as I've only a few books left on my TBR now, and this was to hand on my Kindle.

That book had one of the best twists I've ever read. But I had some issues with the end. Glad you enjoyed it, very good book :)

What issues did you have? I didn't like

the final twist, that Jacob was Ian's son. I thought that was a step too far. But the best twist for me was when you realise that Jenna was not Jacob's mother. I went back and re-read sections just after the accident - when Jenna leaves Bristol - and it's so cleverly written that you just assume she is Jacob's mother. I wasn't keen on the ambiguous ending that Ian may still be alive. That just turns it from a cleverly plotted story into a no-frills thriller.

What issues did you have? I didn't like

the final twist, that Jacob was Ian's son. I thought that was a step too far. But the best twist for me was when you realise that Jenna was not Jacob's mother. I went back and re-read sections just after the accident - when Jenna leaves Bristol - and it's so cleverly written that you just assume she is Jacob's mother. I wasn't keen on the ambiguous ending that Ian may still be alive. That just turns it from a cleverly plotted story into a no-frills thriller.

Same. Turning out to be his son was just totally unnecessary, it really spoiled the end for me. It could have been just a regular hit and run. Him showing a lack of remorse would have done the same job to make him seem like a bit of a psycho.

But yeah, finding out about the mother, I instantly flew back to those same pages and realised it never said it was the same woman across the few scenes. Very very clever, I'd recommend it on that twist alone.

After some reading time over the weekend - although not as much as I would've liked - I've almost finished A Spool of Blue Thread. It's not been bad, but hasn't really blown me away either. After waiting for my girlfriend to catch up I made a start on The Girl who Played with Fire this morning. Very good so far - unlike the first book in the series this one bursts into action.

Also I passed my exam on Wednesday, but have worked out that I need to read (and understand) 300 pages every week of my textbooks to be ready for the next exams. :doh: :doh:

Congratulations on passing the exam and good luck with the next ones :).

I read Benjamin Alire Saénz - Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe which I really liked, and I read Diane Chamberlain - The Lost Daughter (also known as The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes) which I also quite liked. I'm currently reading Jodi Picoult - Plain Truth which is good so far. I'm not enjoying it as much as her best books, but it's enjoyable and better than the books I liked least by the author.